2024 Transfer Portal Thread

What do we really care the kid is “worth” in NIL? If he helps us win, fits the team and we have the $ available then pay it. Why get upset over $1.7m or any number for that matter?

What matters is that Barnes and Co feel he can help us win at the highest level. So get him if possible. If not, oh well. Why get so bent over NIL numbers that may or may not be accurate? Let’s just capitalize on Barnes last years and win.
At some point in time, money could become a cancer inside the locker room. One-man teams don't go very far.

We're discussing Tennessee vs Kentucky here. I hate Kentucky too but 99% of recruits would kill for a chance to play there. Kentucky has a better fan base, better facilities (probably?, not 100% on this), and is offering more money. The only difference is an unproven coach and Pope's probably not that bad. I'm not sure how much "more" Kentucky is offering. If the difference is 50k or less, maybe we have a shot. If the difference is like 500k vs 600k though...Lanier will be in blue and I have 0 doubt about that.
What year did you graduate from Kensucky

Interesting article.

Seems like ball is in Lanier's court right now. Go to Kentucky for higher single year salary or go to Tennessee for likely less money but will be showcased and centerpiece of the team.

Most reports are Barnes won't match dollar for dollar and risk team chemistry just for one player for one year.

Interesting article.

What makes me snicker is that comment about "recency bias". If I were a recruit and it came to a choice between a program that had made a "recent" push to get me vs a team that has maintained a long term relationship with me...in my home state...that I was very comfortable with and had shown me tremendous commitment and loyalty, I don't see how I'd be inclined to favor the johnny-come-lately. Seems backward to me.

JMO. We have a decent team as is, but I think Lanier's scoring ability makes us a much better team. Miss on him, and I'm not sure there are any other realistic portal options of his caliber. It doesn't seem like we've cultivated relationships with any of the other top options.

I continue to believe we're his best option, not because I'm a Tennessee fan, but simply because Barnes has an established program and Pope does not. Sure, it's KY, but he's having to rebuild the program from the ground up.

JMO. We have a decent team as is, but I think Lanier's scoring ability makes us a much better team. Miss on him, and I'm not sure there are any other realistic portal options of his caliber. It doesn't seem like we've cultivated relationships with any of the other top options.

I continue to believe we're his best option, not because I'm a Tennessee fan, but simply because Barnes has an established program and Pope does not. Sure, it's KY, but he's having to rebuild the program from the ground up.
I also think we have a modestly established pecking order in relation to UK who is bringing in 13 new faces, at least 10 of which will have grown accustomed to playing major minutes. Could be a lot of infighting, backbiting, and chemistry issues when it all plays out.

There’s 2-3 guys that are still out there, but you aren’t wrong about cultivating relationships. I keep telling myself it’s in the bag because of that reason, but you truly never know.

Christie, Wooga, And Coward would be my first 3 calls. After that, I’d try to go all out for Darryn Peterson (2025 SG who could reclassify) see if he would be interested.

I also think we have a modestly established pecking order in relation to UK who is bringing in 13 new faces, at least 10 of which will have grown accustomed to playing major minutes. Could be a lot of infighting, backbiting, and chemistry issues when it all plays out.

Probably why he still hasn't just signed with the highest bidder yet. Really is a big decision for him long term career wise. Vols just from development and stability standpoint would be better for him compared to first year SEC coach. Big payout might be hard for him to turn down though.

Probably why he still hasn't just signed with the highest bidder yet. Really is a big decision for him long term career wise. Vols just from development and stability standpoint would be better for him compared to first year SEC coach. Big payout might be hard for him to turn down though.
Yeah, if that $1.7 mil number is close to accurate, and we are offering him say $500k, then it's a no-brainer. $1.2 mil is life-changing money. If the difference is a couple hundred thousand, though, I think there needs to be a big-picture approach.

There’s 2-3 guys that are still out there, but you aren’t wrong about cultivating relationships. I keep telling myself it’s in the bag because of that reason, but you truly never know.

Christie, Wooga, And Coward would be my first 3 calls. After that, I’d try to go all out for Darryn Peterson (2025 SG who could reclassify) see if he would be interested.
Or even Jaylen Wells. Who says your 2g can't be tall?

I wondered why I was missing 10 pages ...then I realized I had 100 accounts on ignore ...so that means I haven't missed anything.

Freaking out == BVS

Chaz is like Santa ... He is coming to town. I suspect that I am in the minority here, but I'm loading cannons because a big boom is drawing near.
Man I hope you are right. If not, after reading this thread it appears we should simply disband if we are not willing to match the KY offer and pull him in. Just skip a year and save up some money. Thank goodness we have become a baseball and tennis school!

Reactions: StrangeVol
Yeah, if that $1.7 mil number is close to accurate, and we are offering him say $500k, then it's a no-brainer. $1.2 mil is life-changing money. If the difference is a couple hundred thousand, though, I think there needs to be a big-picture approach.
At 62, $1.2 million isn’t life changing money whereas it seemed like it was at 50. Especially when it’s pre tax and you’re paying your NIL agent 10%. Maybe $650,000 - $700,000 ends up in your bank account. Buy yourself a nice car and Momma a house and you got $15K left

Reactions: VOLED
Seems like ball is in Lanier's court right now. Go to Kentucky for higher single year salary or go to Tennessee for likely less money but will be showcased and centerpiece of the team.

Most reports are Barnes won't match dollar for dollar and risk team chemistry just for one player for one year.
Not referring to you, Chaz, but I'm always amused when folks "report" on something like how far Barnes is willing to go with NIL or they relay "what they're hearing" about things. Just have to laugh at the thought of Barnes/his staff and the NIL folks telling all these people about their plans, budget and targets so they can run and share it with mouthpieces like basilly-o and every other Tom, Dick and Harry who then shares it on every Vol message board out there. Seems...well...just a bit hard to believe.

Reactions: walkenvol
In today's economy, how far does $1.2 mil really go? Especially after taxes? Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of money. But if his dream is the NBA, is $1.2 mil enough to turn your back and what is probably your best route there? Like you said before, there's more of a logjam at KY. Are they guaranteeing him minutes? Does he even know what kind of offense they plan on running and how he fits? Lots of question marks there that don't exist here. And if he comes in and shines anything like DK, he improves his stock greatly. Get your foot in the door in the NBA and that $1.2 mil differential could evaporate pretty quickly. Truthfully, I think there's a lot for the young man to consider. I certainly understand the temptation of the cash in hand and won't blame him if that's the choice, but I do think there are reasons not to go that way.

1.7 million isnt life changing? Sounds like we've got a few internet millionaires here. The young man clearly doesn't have great NBA prospects and he could be 22 years old with a real nice paid off house and still 500,000 in the bank on top of a degree.

Take the money young man.

1.7 million isnt life changing? Sounds like we've got a few internet millionaires here. The young man clearly doesn't have great NBA prospects and he could be 22 years old with a real nice paid off house and still 500,000 in the bank on top of a degree.

Take the money young man.
Have no problem with a guy going for the money. Even when it APPEARS one offer is way above the market established by the rest of the teams. Good investment or stupid money TBD. Good career move or not, also TBD, draft dependent. KY has a raft of new 3 point guys, see how it goes if that is decision.

In today's economy, how far does $1.2 mil really go? Especially after taxes? Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of money. But if his dream is the NBA, is $1.2 mil enough to turn your back and what is probably your best route there? Like you said before, there's more of a logjam at KY. Are they guaranteeing him minutes? Does he even know what kind of offense they plan on running and how he fits? Lots of question marks there that don't exist here. And if he comes in and shines anything like DK, he improves his stock greatly. Get your foot in the door in the NBA and that $1.2 mil differential could evaporate pretty quickly. Truthfully, I think there's a lot for the young man to consider. I certainly understand the temptation of the cash in hand and won't blame him if that's the choice, but I do think there are reasons not to go that way.
I guess where we will disagree is that I think your scenario makes a lot of presumptions that I'm not willing to easily concede in Lanier's favor.

While he may very well make it to the NBA, I don't think its a slam dunk regardless of whether he goes to Tennessee or Kentucky. There's plenty of things to consider outside of basketball, too, like a potential injury that could threaten his chances.

$1.7 million might not be the kind of money you just put away and never work another day in your life at age 22, but it certainly puts you on the right path to never having to really worry about finances if you manage it correctly.

If I knew he was a slam dunk 1st round pick in 2025 by choosing Tennessee (as opposed to the unknown result of choosing Kentucky), then I'd probably feel differently, but I'm just not certain that he's ever going to be that. I've voiced my concerns about him a few times, here, already. And maybe in his most honest moment, he has those same concerns, too. If he does, $1.7 million in hand would seem pretty tempting. And it isn't like going to UK guarantees he won't make it to the NBA. The path just isn't maybe quite as clear on paper, but who knows what he's being told by that staff. They may view him as the crown jewel of their portal haul with plans to build the offense around him. These are things we don't know.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Have no problem with a guy going for the money. Even when it APPEARS one offer is way above the market established by the rest of the teams. Good investment or stupid money TBD. Good career move or not, also TBD, draft dependent. KY has a raft of new 3 point guys, see how it goes if that is decision.

No, it would clearly be stupid money.

VN Store

Back