Dunks should only count one point

Call me old, but I can remember a time when dunks were not allowed. Yeah, it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
There also was no three-point shot or shot clock back in those days. It's a far different game now, and there is already too much emphasis on the 3-point shot.

I remember when 3 pointer first came in to NCAA late 80s. They did a trial run for Southern conference games one year to see if it was doable or feasible.. I was watching an ETSU game. It was noted that the long shot would count 3 because of the extra skill involved. A guy banked one in and I said you know that was pure luck missed it so bad it banked in and still gets 3. We discussed should bank-ins just count 2 but then decided there are other lucky shots throughout the course of a game.
The ACC had a 3-point line in the 1983 season for conference games. Watch the documentary "Survive and Advance" about the 1983 NC State Wolfpack and you'll see it.

The ACC had a 3-point line in the 1983 season for conference games. Watch the documentary "Survive and Advance" about the 1983 NC State Wolfpack and you'll see it.
Actually I must of had my years mixed up that trial year was 1980. 11/29/1980 was the first 3 pointer made by Ronnie Carr Western Carolina vs MTSU, Ball is in the College Basketball hall of Fame.

If layups are still 2 points then the players will just adjust. How about anything inside the restricted area counts at 1 point?

VN Store

Back