2024 Transfer Portal Thread

The day has come where we are scrutinizing recruits over their perceived market value, it’s almost like when fans get pissed at front offices in the professional leagues if they overpay for a free agent lol but this is the college version. Got to love it

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The day has come where we are scrutinizing recruits over their perceived market value, it’s almost like when fans get pissed at front offices in the professional leagues if they overpay for a free agent lol but this is the college version. Got to love it

Don't have to love it---it's stupid.

The fact that we lost both Aidoo AND Awaka is stupid---especially Awaka. All the idiocy in pro sports seems quite sensible compared to the absurd
mess that is college sports now. It's turned many student-athletes into pretty lame mercenaries. Awaka was in line to start for us, knows the system, knows the coaches, big, successful program, SEC, blah blah--and he ditches all that, ditches what should be the compelling logic of staying, because of what? Because Arizona will give him more money than we would have? It's stupid. Every player is a free agent every year---and now he's got to adapt to new coaches, a new system, new teammates---and he's not even a polished player! It's....stupid.

Reactions: Smokey 77

The fact that we lost both Aidoo AND Awaka is stupid---especially Awaka. All the idiocy in pro sports seems quite sensible compared to the absurd
mess that is college sports now. It's turned many student-athletes into pretty lame mercenaries. Awaka was in line to start for us, knows the system, knows the coaches, big, successful program, SEC, blah blah--and he ditches all that, ditches what should be the compelling logic of staying, because of what? Because Arizona will give him more money than we would have? It's stupid. Every player is a free agent every year---and now he's got to adapt to new coaches, a new system, new teammates---and he's not even a polished player! It's....stupid.
The place where you have missed the mark by a mile here is blaming the players. Corporate greed at the NCAA and conference level for decades is what got us in the situation we are currently in. It’s foolish to blame players, who may never have the opportunity again to earn millions, for taking full advantage of their market value. There’s plenty of “grown ups” in the room who ignored this problem for a long long time to line their own pockets and it’s completely shot the sport in the foot.

SF was fine, but BTO definitely ribbed people pretty hard about being “hysterical” and was basically like “if you knew what I knew, you wouldn’t worry.” Any time money is involved, no one should ever feel good until the dotted line is signed.
Agree …..I love UT sports but don’t understand why people set themselves by believing everything they read. I won’t keep regurgitating my point as it’s tiresome and appears to be antagonistic, but most on here, if not all, are NOT insiders.

Nobody knows if this young man will commit to TN, KY or another school.

Reactions: Smokey 77
Agree …..I love UT sports but don’t understand why people set themselves by believing everything they read. I won’t keep regurgitating my point as it’s tiresome and appears to be antagonistic, but most on here, if not all, are NOT insiders.

Nobody knows if this young man will commit to TN, KY or another school.

It's all

On a different note, what do you think about the Steelers’ schedule @ Vols 30? I thought about going to Atl but tix are outrageously priced.

First half of the season looks pretty good. They could go 7-2 even with the 1st two games on the road. At Indy is probably the hardest game.

Back half is brutal. All the division games plus KC and Philly. YIKES!!

While he may very well make it to the NBA, I don't think its a slam dunk regardless of whether he goes to Tennessee or Kentucky.

Long time, no see, Chris.
I just don't believe any information coming from these rabid UK fans. First, they were sure they would get Oats, then Hurley, even Jay Wright. Also, Chaz was on campus Tuesday, Osobor was a sure thing, etc., etc. A zoom call went from an hour and a half to two hours and now it's three hours. I don't blame the coaching staff for injecting false info to the fanbase. It's free positive energy when other recruits are considering UK. I do not believe this $1.7M offer is real and many UK fans don't either.

While I agree there are no slam dunk players, Barnes, the staff, Ziegler, etc. have proven THE playmaker should be given the ball and everyone else gets out of the way like the way they did against Auburn a few months ago. That staff, that head coach and ZZ will be back and ready to duplicate that success as well as being a top defensive team. Not true for Kentucky.

Every player, every assistant coach and the head coach at Kentucky is new. It will be every player's first time playing for Pope, this staff and with each other. Also, the players all played a lot and scored a lot at their schools. Several players will be on the bench more than expected. They will all average less than last year - guaranteed.

We know Barnes will clear the halfcourt and let the scorer score. Will UK's new staff? Their new players?

1715923944662.png

1.7 million isnt life changing? Sounds like we've got a few internet millionaires here. The young man clearly doesn't have great NBA prospects and he could be 22 years old with a real nice paid off house and still 500,000 in the bank on top of a degree.

Take the money young man.
That all sounds great on paper. But it wouldn't take long at all to blow through 1.7 million. Especially if you haven't lined up some way to maintain and sustain it which the vast majority of them don't.

Next time you get a job offer for higher pay be sure not to take it…

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
That all sounds great on paper. But it wouldn't take long at all to blow through 1.7 million. Especially if you haven't lined up some way to maintain and sustain it which the vast majority of them don't.
New hire contracts for big tech companies are often above $1 million total compensation over 4 years, and you continue your career from there. For players like Aidoo they're going to have trouble matching that kind of salary in their pro careers outside of the NBA, and that career is pretty short.

Reactions: VolOnthePlains

VN Store

Back