Anvil : where to buy?

orangebloodgmc

Folks, I've decided I need an anvil. I've been told not to get chinese ones from Harbor Freight ... would Northern Tools be any better source?

Somebody said to use a short piece of connector rail, but I don't know where to get that either.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 508mikey and tbh
Also - I've wanted to try the railroad track anvil thing too, but sourcing it and whatever heat treatment it may need are things I'm still looking into.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I've seen a few in antique stores. I have my grandfather's blacksmiths anvil which is well over 100 years old. Also has a hardy cutting tool as well. Much prefer the old anvils.

Last edited:
Blacksmithing is trendy now and so there's a lively market for them. People collect them and some people are going to be all about what old ones are worth. If you just want to work on one, HF is probably a good way to get started. It's kind of inevitable, I think, that you'll have to deal with some guy that likes anvils to get a good one made in the USA years ago and all that.

I've had a rotating jaws vise with that flat spot on it forever. Made in China. For very occasional blacksmithing that works fine.

VN Store

Back