CFP 12 Team Playoff Discussion

OffTackleVol

I would think that the SEC gets 3 teams in. There's no longer divisions, correct? A committee or somebody is supposed to pick the two "best" teams to play for the SEC Championship in Atlanta. I'd guess the winner gets a bye and the loser will host a first round game. Then, a third 10-2 team gets in. Thoughts?

I would think that the SEC gets 3 teams in. There's no longer divisions, correct? A committee or somebody is supposed to pick the two "best" teams to play for the SEC Championship in Atlanta. I'd guess the winner gets a bye and the loser will host a first round game. Then, a third 10-2 team gets in. Thoughts?
I think it’s possible for there to be several teams sitting there at 10-2 and not make the SEC title game . It would almost be advantageous not to if you are 10-2 and have to face a team that would be a big favorite . This sort of logic is why the SEC and B1G have already confirmed the 14 team playoff in 26, so that the loser of the title would be guaranteed a spot in the CFP. My feelings wouldn’t be hurt at all if we go 10-2 and miss the SEC title game and then get a 5-8 seed to host a CFP first round game.

No committee...the top two teams based on conference record will play.

Let's say Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee all finish 7-1 in conference play. We beat Bama, Bama beat Georgia, and Georgia beats us. Who's decision? Sanky's?

These are the tie breakers for 2 and 3 teams. Even though it references divisions it will be a similar process

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Let's say Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee all finish 7-1 in conference play. We beat Bama, Bama beat Georgia, and Georgia beats us. Who's decision? Sanky's?
They'll have a down the list type of set of rules in place, likely one that compares things teams did in play against conference opponents and how teams performed against mutual conference opponents across the season.

I think it’s possible for there to be several teams sitting there at 10-2 and not make the SEC title game . It would almost be advantageous not to if you are 10-2 and have to face a team that would be a big favorite . This sort of logic is why the SEC and B1G have already confirmed the 14 team playoff in 26, so that the loser of the title would be guaranteed a spot in the CFP. My feelings wouldn’t be hurt at all if we go 10-2 and miss the SEC title game and then get a 5-8 seed to host a CFP first round game.

Wow--now we're up to 14 teams in the playoff!? We went from 4 to 12--and a year later 14! What a freakin' joke. It's called playing the fans for suckers....just like the pros. In 5 years the playoffs will be 28 teams and everybody with 7-5 record gets in! A 10-month season!

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
like a lot of people said, the 12 team playoff, or 14, or 16, doesn't remove the controversy, it just changes it.

Expanding playoffs is just yet another money grab---just like the pros do: teasing the fans, the networks melodramatically hyping crappy games. We've had a bunch of blowouts with 4 teams. 12 teams is a joke, 14 comical.

Reactions: KHVol
I think the SEC gets at least 4 teams in. Any SEC team with 2 losses or less should get in.

like a lot of people said, the 12 team playoff, or 14, or 16, doesn't remove the controversy, it just changes it.
Same thing w/ the NCAA Tournament. There’s always going to be someone left out who thinks they’re deserving. Whoever is ranked #12 this season is going to be furious because they weren’t #11. They’ll go on Gameday and plead their case that the metrics show that they are better than teams 9, 10 and 11 . Then Rece Davis will say something like “the loss on the road to Rutgers or Kentucky or Boston College didn’t help your cause much.”

Last edited:
Same thing w/ the NCAA Tournament. There’s always going to be someone left out who thinks they’re deserving. Whoever is ranked #12 this season is going to be furious because they weren’t #11. They’ll go on Gameday and plead their case that the metrics show that they are better than teams 9, 10 and 11 . Then Rece Davis will say something like “the loss on the road to Rutgers or Kentucky or Boston College didn’t help your cause much.”
the real issue will be when the guaranteed conference champions aren't anywhere close to a Top 10 team. It won't be #12 arguing against #8, 9, or 10, it will be them arguing against someone rated lower than them. you have an 10-3 Oklahoma State Big 12 Champ ranked #15 who gets a spot. What about the Top G5 school being like #17 or maybe even not ranked?

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
the real issue will be when the guaranteed conference champions aren't anywhere close to a Top 10 team. It won't be #12 arguing against #8, 9, or 10, it will be them arguing against someone rated lower than them. you have an 10-3 Oklahoma State Big 12 Champ ranked #15 who gets a spot. What about the Top G5 school being like #17 or maybe even not ranked?
I was saying #12 because you will have a top 12 team who will be left out because you’ll get an undefeated G5 team get that spot. Last year Liberty would’ve gotten that spot with a SOS ranked dead last in all of college football . That’s ridiculous.

The best overall records get those teams in.
They won't. They're never going to use the results of the matchups from a team's OOC schedule to determine an SEC tiebreaker for the conference championship, especially in the CFP era.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back