Knecht, Barnes, NIL, Development [split from Portal Thread]

Okay guy. Yes. I think he would still be a top 10 projection at NorCo. The better question is, would he still be a top 10 projected pick if he went to BYU instead of Tennessee? Then the answer is an even more concrete yes.
Good thing you don’t make a living on your projections.

Okay guy. Yes. I think he would still be a top 10 projection at NorCo. The better question is, would he still be a top 10 projected pick if he went to BYU instead of Tennessee? Then the answer is an even more concrete yes.

You are assuming that he would have a as good a year at BYU as he did at UT, which is flawed logic. Knecht admitted that he came to UT for development, particularly in the defensive side. Good coaching makes better players, along with players buy in and effort. Bromine James was going to the NBA regardless because he is LeFlops boy. He might have done well at the combine, but his numbers at USC were laughable. Don’t know why you’re such a Barnstormer, but Rick is a damn good coach that has developed countless players along the way.

Of all the guys on the team, a red shirt freshman who still wasn’t playing any minutes due to rumored academic issues talking trash about the coach and some teammates at a bar on the strip doesn’t strike me as reliable information. JMO
Agree. I wasn’t gonna say the name of the player but he wasn’t hiding it. To his defense, h read a few too many and was probably frustrated and talking to kids his age.

But as you said, I put zero stock in his opinions but posted since someone said Barnes was hard nosed and/or old school.

Reactions: walkenvol
I can't believe the amount of posters that enjoy spending their time trying to teach algebra to an ant. Try explaining it in Hieroglyphics next time. It would have the same chance of being successful as you explaining it in English.

You are assuming that he would have a as good a year at BYU as he did at UT, which is flawed logic. Knecht admitted that he came to UT for development, particularly in the defensive side. Good coaching makes better players, along with players buy in and effort. Bromine James was going to the NBA regardless because he is LeFlops boy. He might have done well at the combine, but his numbers at USC were laughable. Don’t know why you’re such a Barnstormer, but Rick is a damn good coach that has developed countless players along the way.

Barnes is a very good coach, and he has developed players--but you don't develop players much in one year. Knecht is a very talented
player---good size, great length and hops, outstanding shooter. Did he derive some benefits from coming to UT. Sure: maybe he improved his defense
a bit--because he had to, it's mostly just an effort thing--but defense is not going to drive his NBA career, that's for sure. Maybe the fact of playing in a big conference, with bigger stakes, more TV exposure, motivated him; in fact, I'm sure it did. But his basic physical and basketball skill set was established before he came here; indeed, that's why we and others recruited him in the first place. This discussion should end---it's rather pointless and becoming dumb. Credit Knecht, credit UT/Barnes...love to everybody, and let's move on.

Silly to assume or project what Knecht would have done at any other school. We'll never know. But, since we're doing it, I said sure, I think Knecht could be a top 10 projection out of NorCo. Still don't see why that's crazy. Very smart posters on vol nation dot com believe NBA scouts can't name a player off Northern Colorado since they can't name a player off Northern Colorado and that's the bottom line.

Barnes is a very good coach, and he has developed players--but you don't develop players much in one year. Knecht is a very talented
player---good size, great length and hops, outstanding shooter. Did he derive some benefits from coming to UT. Sure: maybe he improved his defense
a bit--because he had to, it's mostly just an effort thing--but defense is not going to drive his NBA career, that's for sure. Maybe the fact of playing in a big conference, with bigger stakes, more TV exposure, motivated him; in fact, I'm sure it did. But his basic physical and basketball skill set was established before he came here; indeed, that's why we and others recruited him in the first place. This discussion should end---it's rather pointless and becoming dumb. Credit Knecht, credit UT/Barnes...love to everybody, and let's move on.

Ok dad.

I'm a big Barnes fan--but let's stop with this notion that he or our staff "developed" Knecht. Knecht was obviously an excellent player from the first moment he stepped on the UT basketball practice floor. We didn't develop his skills. They were fully developed when he got here--obviously. What he got from UT was high-level exposure---exposure in a big conference, and TV exposure. He had the talent, we offered exposure--and we can be proud that Barnes and his staff were smart enough to recognize his talent at Northern Colorado and savvy and sharp enough to get him signed. It was a coup. He might also have benefited somewhat from Barnes's system--but he was a very talented player who was able to showcase his big skill set by joining a major program. What I found unusual about Knecht was his amazing self-confidence from day one. He was not only not fazed by joining UT and the SEC, he was confident and good from the jump.

Chris Dortch was on Sports Talk. He had some interesting takes.

--It may be old news (I'd never heard it) and not surprising, but he said that Dalton Knecht improved his jump shot within two weeks of arriving in Knoxville. His shot was a little flat when he got here, and he corrected that after arriving on campus. Knecht has a work ethic like few he's seen.

--He said this Tennessee team has arguably upgraded across the board. At center, Felix Okpara, he wants to dunk everything at one end at block everything on the other. He's stronger, longer, and more aggressive than Aidoo. Opkara played well down the stretch last year and will get even better. He has a jump hook and Tennessee will teach him to put a little more air under that shot which will make him basically unguardable. Aidoo was chill, and that's fine, but if you're going to play the five in a power conference, you can't be chill.

--Igor Milicic is the son of a coach and plays like it. You can run offense for him and you can run offense through him. He's a great passer and a great trail jump shooter, especially from three -- his numbers are off the charts. He's a great defensive rebounder, one of the best in the county. He's a versatile player that can do all sorts of things, where Toby Awaka was still a young guy trying to come into his own.

--Darlinstone Dubar... is he better than JJJ and Vescovi? He can play the two through the five. He's another great jump shooter. He shoots off the charts from the corners. Last year he 45% from beyond the arc from the left corner and 56% from the right corner. He's a shot blocker, a rebounder, a multi-skilled guy.

--Almost every time Tennessee lost a game last year they started out slow and missed chippies around the rim. All three of these newcomers have high percentages around the rim. Okpara shot 68% around the basket.

--Sure they'll miss Knecht, but coaches will tell you they'd rather spread it around than rely on one person.
I guess not so obvious

VN Store

Back