Knecht in the latest ESPN mock draft

Agree. He may even be better than we expect in the NBA. He has lifted his game on every new level of competition he has played and got better. If he continues to improve his handle and develops a step-back game, he may not be guardable. His ability to finish especially going left to non-dominant hand is impressive. Defenders are going to get so paranoid about his perimeter shooting, but he can score from anywhere on the court and can beat you in midrange and at the rim.

A very rich man's Dan Majerle when he was in Phoenix. He has game from every level and I don't doubt that he develops more on the NBA level and continues to be unguardable when he pours it on.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Majerlie averaged 16/17 ppg in his prime years and made 3 all star games so that's a pretty high bar.

I would say in terms of what he can do vs. his peers, Majerlie is a pretty high bar to set. But if you just look at offensive skill set, size, and athleticism, Knecht is better. I wouldn't say a "very rich man's version," but Majerlie was mostly a catch-and-shoot guy from an era where they let you have much more open 3's, and he only shot 36%. I expect Knecht to be shooting 36% off the dribble.

Houston could use a shooter, but I hope he doesn't go there. I would like San Antonio to get him, as he could be one of the top 3 featured scorers on that team.
Just don’t like Houston or feel they’re too crowded with other young guys?

Udoka is a good coach so it’d probably be a decent spot to land developmentally.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Tom Boerwinkle was the 4th pick in 1968. 7 footers that were great passers were rare beings.
Won’t share ALL the details again, but Tom was at my house, breaking curfew, on the night before his last game in Stokely. School related joint project along with my sister. I was a HS junior. Shot a few in his massive Bass weejuns in my driveway. Among my many Vol kid SUPER blessings.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
Just don’t like Houston or feel they’re too crowded with other young guys?

Udoka is a good coach so it’d probably be a decent spot to land developmentally.
Cliffs notes:

She went to practice and Barnes was just all over Knecht. So much so that she had to leave because the momma in her couldn't take the berating he was taking. She said DK never hung his head, never got discouraged. She came back in and it was still intense, but when practice was over, he immediately got an assistant coach to go over film with him and wanted to know what he had to do to improve.

Reactions: jp1 and walkenvol
Can anyone with a twitter account (or just more competence than me) quote the part that comes after “True story”?
True Story: I came to a practice....

2)...early in the year, b4 games. (Coach Barnes WILL allow parents/agents to sit in practices-bc he'll go in on your kid whether you're there or not. He was going IN on DK. The players always have each other's back but they were going at it. Although I'm a tough mom,...

3) my nurturing side was kicking in. I had to go sit in the car to not watch. It was still heated when I returned. It was beyond tough for DK.BUT here's the thing. After that practice, DK didn't even leave! He grabbed a Coach & was studying the FILM rt after! He didn't....

4) sulk or complain- just went straight to how can I get better. He WANTED to be coached. He was already good, he wanted to be better defensively. Not just for him, for the TEAM. He knew the SEC was a different level & he respected it. He wanted to be ready.

5) Every time he hit resistance, he pushed through. Athletes can't always control outcomes, but they can control their responses to them. Whichever NBA Team drafts him, they are getting a REAL ONE.

VN Store

Back