Lady Ice Vols Hockey

Sweet logo!!and im
Not the smartest cat. But 6 teams in the 1st year and 10 the second. But I only see 2 added.

Wonder where they'll practice and play in Knoxville?

This is pretty cool, but I'm kinda surprised that if another women's sport was being added that it wasn't gymnastics. It has always been puzzling why Tennessee hasn't been represented in gymnastics given how popular it is at several other SEC schools.

Hockey is fun to watch, though. It would be beyond difficult for a program based in the South to compete with those programs in the Frozen North who've been at it for a long time, but I guess someone somewhere is willing to take that chance.

Reactions: volunator
Wonder where they'll practice and play in Knoxville?

This is pretty cool, but I'm kinda surprised that if another women's sport was being added that it wasn't gymnastics. It has always been puzzling why Tennessee hasn't been represented in gymnastics given how popular it is at several other SEC schools.

Hockey is fun to watch, though. It would be beyond difficult for a program based in the South to compete with those programs in the Frozen North who've been at it for a long time, but I guess someone somewhere is willing to take that chance.
They ran a study before they added softball, soccer and rowing. Scholarship numbers were low and cost of program was high, higher the those the finally added and the injury rates were too high according to Joan Cronan.

Reactions: SmokinBob
This is a club team.

The men's team is moving up from D2 to D1, also a club team. Men's team founded in 1966.

Like the men's team it will probably be at the Ice Chalet in Knoxville.
Ice Chalet is not used for real hockey games. No full glass/boards. They practice/play at Cool Sports until ice goes up at the Coliseum. When they can't get Coliseum ice, they go back to Cool Sports.

I didn't know they played college hockey down south. UConn has had pretty good success playing hockey, and you don't have to be a huge university to make an impact on the national scene. Quinnipiac University, who some of you may remember from the NCAA basketball tournament, won the NC at the Frozen 4 two years ago, beating Minnesota who had 14 NHL signees on their roster. It's an exciting sport if you can get to any of their games. Do the men have a hockey team?

I didn't know they played college hockey down south. UConn has had pretty good success playing hockey, and you don't have to be a huge university to make an impact on the national scene. Quinnipiac University, who some of you may remember from the NCAA basketball tournament, won the NC at the Frozen 4 two years ago, beating Minnesota who had 14 NHL signees on their roster. It's an exciting sport if you can get to any of their games. Do the men have a hockey team?
This is Club hockey. One step above intramurals. It is Beer League with matching uniforms. Same story for men, and now women. It is great for them to move up that ladder, but this is not in the same stratosphere as NCAA Division 1 or even D3.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back