The Official Tennessee @ Florida Series Thread (Fri. May 3rd Game 1 3PM EST, Game 2 after SECNET+) (Sat. May 4th 6:30PM EST SECNET+)

Yeah I think our lose to Lipscomb outweighs those two losses because their rubber match was within a few runs. Number 2 team losing 2 games on the road to the 8th ranked team is better than losing to lipscomb at home and another loss to an unranked bubble team. Objectively, that’s how I would vote it.
No way

Yeah I think our lose to Lipscomb outweighs those two losses because their rubber match was within a few runs. Number 2 team losing 2 games on the road to the 8th ranked team is better than losing to lipscomb at home and another loss to an unranked bubble team. Objectively, that’s how I would vote it.
I think some of you put way too much stock in these midweek games. It became somewhat problematic for a team like Florida early in the season because they seemingly lost ALL of them, but if you recall, they stayed in the top 10 for a while because they kept winning their weekend series. Only when they started losing more conference games did their rank really drop.

As others have said, midweek games are not reflective of your best lineup and your best pitchers. Basically every team loses a couple, and the Vols went REALLY deep into the season before losing their first. As much as I’d rather stay at #3, the Lipscomb game isn’t gonna hold us out of the top spot.

I think some of you put way too much stock in these midweek games. It became somewhat problematic for a team like Florida early in the season because they seemingly lost ALL of them, but if you recall, they stayed in the top 10 for a while because they kept winning their weekend series. Only when they started losing more conference games did their rank really drop.

As others have said, midweek games are not reflective of your best lineup and your best pitchers. Basically every team loses a couple, and the Vols went REALLY deep into the season before losing their first. As much as I’d rather stay at #3, the Lipscomb game isn’t gonna hold us out of the top spot.

I don’t disagree. With two weeks to go, I would argue every remaining home game loss could be viewed as a bad loss by the committee. It’s just a matter of timing. That’s just my opinion based on watching things play out over the years, granted, some of those years we could afford none, but…we are sitting fine right now, based on the way this weekend played out.

By the way. Don't know if this got mentioned while I was away from keyboard.

Lady Vol tennis beat Duke 4-0 in region. Both teams ranked.

The Men and Women won all four matches 4-0
That's a pretty good weekend

(1) Softball repeated as SEC champs and go to tourney as #1 seed. They are ranked #3 in both polls
(2) Women's golf qualified for region play in Winston-Salem as #7 seed
(3) Men's golf earned their first ever #1 regional seed in Austin, Texas. They are ranked 5th nationally. (There are 6 SEC teams in top-10)
(4) Rowing is ranked 5th nationally and have BigXII and NCAA in coming weeks
(5) Men's Track & Field are ranked 13th with 4 athletes ranked in top-10 of their events.
(6) Women's Track & Field are ranked 10th with 7 athletes/relays in top-10.
The SEC track championships are in Gainesville this week. The NCAA prelims are in Lexington on 5/22-5/25 and the NCAA finals are in Eugene 6/5-6/8
(7) #7 seed Men's Tennis moves on to next round as they host #10 seed Florida State on May 11th
(8) #16 seed Women's Tennis moves on to next round as they travel to play #1 seed Oklahoma State on May 11th
(9) Baseball is in top-3 will be in top-3 in all major polls tomorrow.

Long story short, every late spring sport is still competing and WILL qualify for NCAA postseason.

In the last Director's Cup Standings on April 11th. Tennessee stood 11th. With all these teams in NCAA contention, I would expect a big jump into the top 10.

SEC Directors Cup standings

#10 Alabama
#11 Tennessee
#13 Florida
#14 Arkansas
#20 Georgia
#22 LSU
#23 Texas A&M
#39 Kentucky
#43 Ole Miss
#46 South Carolina
#52 Missouri
#64 Auburn
#106 Vanderbilt
#112 Mississippi State

Midweek is lessened. But this week with comparisons to Arkansas we have a Tennessee team that went 2-2 on the week being compared to an Arkansas team that went 3-2.
Arkansas lost their weekend series but on the road against a top-10 team. Tennessee beat a team on the road as well but Florida is struggling and is likely not going to NCAA tourney.

That's fairly even.

Then we go to the midweek to break the tie. Tennessee lost a game against an RPI #228 team. Arkansas won 2 games against the #128 team

Arkansas was also ranked ahead of Tennessee before the week.

Texas A&M (despite series loss) remains a strong #1 in RPI and ELO and lost 2 close games at #34 after a midweek win over #169.

I clearly admit the midweek games are worth significantly less than weekend. But we are comparing the resume of three -or four (if you count Clemson) teams

It is funny to note that all three teams are in or are apparently exiting inevitable slumps. Tennessee's offensive slumps clearly ended with Florida game 3. Arkansas's normally reliable pitching is seemingly slumping. At least after their ace. And Texas A&M had a letdown across the board last week against an opponent they should have easily outclassed,

The midweek loss- especially this late in season, is hard to set aside . I think it was cancelled -to some extent, by the way they thrashed Caglianone for the second straight season.

Last edited:
By the way. Don't know if this got mentioned while I was away from keyboard.

Lady Vol tennis beat Duke 4-0 in region. Both teams ranked.

The Men and Women won all four matches 4-0
That's a pretty good weekend

(1) Softball repeated as SEC champs and go to tourney as #1 seed. They are ranked #3 in both polls
(2) Women's golf qualified for region play in Winston-Salem as #7 seed
(3) Men's golf earned their first ever #1 regional seed in Austin, Texas. They are ranked 5th nationally. (There are 6 SEC teams in top-10)
(4) Rowing is ranked 5th nationally and have BigXII and NCAA in coming weeks
(5) Men's Track & Field are ranked 13th with 4 athletes ranked in top-10 of their events.
(6) Women's Track & Field are ranked 10th with 7 athletes/relays in top-10.
The SEC track championships are in Gainesville this week. The NCAA prelims are in Lexington on 5/22-5/25 and the NCAA finals are in Eugene 6/5-6/8
(7) #7 seed Men's Tennis moves on to next round as they host #10 seed Florida State on May 11th
(8) #16 seed Women's Tennis moves on to next round as they travel to play #1 seed Oklahoma State on May 11th
(9) Baseball is in top-3 will be in top-3 in all major polls tomorrow.

Long story short, every late spring sport is still competing and WILL qualify for NCAA postseason.

In the last Director's Cup Standings on April 11th. Tennessee stood 11th. With all these teams in NCAA contention, I would expect a big jump into the top 10.

SEC Directors Cup standings

#10 Alabama
#11 Tennessee
#13 Florida
#14 Arkansas
#20 Georgia
#22 LSU
#23 Texas A&M
#39 Kentucky
#43 Ole Miss
#46 South Carolina
#52 Missouri
#64 Auburn
#106 Vanderbilt
#112 Mississippi State
Spring sports is what separates us from everyone else in the league imo. We are highly competitive in EVERY sport. All of them have a very real possibility of finishing in the top 8-16 nationally in their respective championships. It sure is fun to be a Vol fan right now.

I am not saying that midweek games are pointless. Although from a ranking standpoint I understand how they are likely not used to ding teams as negatively. I think the committee understands you are not burning your top tier pitching for a non conference game. Add to that you are seeing slightly below average pitching.

Take nothing away from Lipscomb. Those guys came to play and put the bats to work.

VN Store

Back