Zane Denton

I'm going to take the opposite and agree with this statement but probably not some stuff that followed it. This is not personal to Zane or any knowledge but just knowing people and especially baseball players.
1. Tony does not guarantee anyone playing time so that part is definitely true. We have lost some guys in the portal and recruiting because of it but I greatly respect his stance that I will give you a chance to earn it.
2. Knowing people. No one likes when someone comes in to take their position. In any area of life, we do not ultimatly like competition for the things we love. Most of us would not like if our spouse's childhood or teenage sweetheart all the sudden moved to our town and they were going to work together. Knoxing baseball players. They need competition and know that it makes them better ie. Kirby and Redmond pushed each other and made each other better and were best friends doing it, but I'm sure they both wished the other would not take their innings. We need competition but most do not like it or desire it.
Just my thoughts. So I'm sure it was said and to some extent it was true. Nowhere did this comment say that is why he is not here.
Interesting. Wasn’t Amick also brought in at a time and in part when Zane was still deciding if he was going to the draft or not. You can’t expect Tony or any coach/team for that matter to hold spots or not try to improve the team especially when they do not know if you are going to be on the team or not. We also have a DH spot so both could be in lineup on a daily anyway. Competition for playing time is why we have gotten so good. You even see it throughout the weekend. Tony gave guys opportunities instead of Ensley and is working in different catchers etc. He will play the 9 best he feels fit. This is not little league baseball. I think what Tony does is exactly how you should approach this level of baseball.

Interesting. Wasn’t Amick also brought in at a time and in part when Zane was still deciding if he was going to the draft or not. You can’t expect Tony or any coach/team for that matter to hold spots or not try to improve the team especially when they do not know if you are going to be on the team or not. We also have a DH spot so both could be in lineup on a daily anyway. Competition for playing time is why we have gotten so good. You even see it throughout the weekend. Tony gave guys opportunities instead of Ensley and is working in different catchers etc. He will play the 9 best he feels fit. This is not little league baseball. I think what Tony does is exactly how you should approach this level of baseball.
Amick did not come to UT to compete with Denton for playing time at 3rd base. He came to UT because he was told that Denton would not be back. If Denton HAD returned, it would not have been a good situation for anyone involved. Neither one would have been happy at DH.

I doubt it. When Amick transferred in, Denton was going pro. Of course TV is going to get a replacement. Then Denton didn’t get drafted and decided to return. What would he expect TV to do? Send Amick beck to Clemson?

That rumor simply doesn’t make sense.
It’s not necessarily bringing him in, it’s the making him compete for a job once it was apparent that both would be on the team, that does make sense/could be the sticking point. To your point, CTV assumed he would get drafted and had to replace him. When he didn’t, all plans went to hell for all parties.

It’s not necessarily bringing him in, it’s the making him compete for a job once it was apparent that both would be on the team, that does make sense/could be the sticking point. To your point, CTV assumed he would get drafted and had to replace him. When he didn’t, all plans went to hell for all parties.
If that’s the case (and I’m not saying it is), that’s a Zane problem. Everyone competes for their job in this program. But Zane knows that, so I doubt that was the case. Why would TV give the job to Zane if he’s not the better player? That makes no sense.

Last edited:
If that’s the case (and I’m not saying it is), that’s a Zane problem. Everyone competes for their job in this program. But Zane knows that, so I doubt that was the case. Why would TV give the job to Zane if he’s not the better player? That makes no sense.
Rational take.

Zane’s also a Vol legion after the Clemson win.

The reason he is not playing is personal. The team would welcome him back. I don't think he suits up for Tennessee again.
I had a conversation about this last week with someone from the Vol Network. They said the same thing. Basically, it’s possible that he could come back, but not likely.

Zach Joyce came back after taking a year off…

The reason he is not playing is personal. The team would welcome him back. I don't think he suits up for Tennessee again.
Too bad. If he came back and would play 2B, Curley, Antigua, Denton, and Villeneuve in the infield would be solid.

I had a conversation about this last week with someone from the Vol Network. They said the same thing. Basically, it’s possible that he could come back, but not likely.

Zach Joyce came back after taking a year off…
If its a Covid year you only have left, can you come back after skipping a year and is there a time limit to all the Covid years ppl are using?

If he is battling a personal issue, then I hope he gets through it. I really enjoyed watching him play. He was so clutch. Sometimes things are way bigger than baseball. Good luck to the young man.
Well said. Much bigger than baseball indeed. He’s a VFL in my book even though we just got to enjoy him for one year on the diamond.

It’s the coaches job to recruit better players than he has every year.

It’s the players job to prove he can’t.

If you’re going play major college sports, you better understand that.

VN Store

Back