Open Practice discussion thread

Josh Malone with a great catch in the corner of the end zone. He looked really good last night.

Attachments

• IMG_6158.jpg
    IMG_6158.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: 2 people
During a punt return drill, Jacob Carter caught 6 footballs at once, almost made it 7!

Attachments

• IMG_6162.jpg
    IMG_6162.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 1 person
The one pick Worley threw was a great play by Gaulden even though he was flagged for PI. Worley looked in control and threw the ball well for the most part last night.

Attachments

• IMG_6217.jpg
    IMG_6217.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 4
The pick Worley threw was a great play by Gaulden.

Thought Worley played ok, didn't hit enough big plays and his receivers didn't help him.

I gotta say peterman is athletic and throws a really pretty ball. Not to mention he provides most danger as far as a downfield passing threat by far IMO.

You can not tell a lot about the QB's because we were playing shut down man coverage on every play. And on most plays defensive pass interference would have been called. There were zero zone reads. On every play the receiver had to beat the DB and get open. Worley did a great job of placing the ball in tight places most of the night.

Gaulden is inside the receivers jersey on every play. I hope he can do this without the penalty calls during the season. We might have 3 shutdown corners in Sutton, Moseley, and Gaulden. The test will be if they can be effective tacklers on the corners. If I were a OC drawing up a game plan against our defense, I would test the corners with a big running back.

Hey, Nancy... Ever tried looking at something subjectively without circling around only to put a negative connotation on it? I understand not trying to get your hopes up, not drinking the kool-aid, don't count your chickens and all that jazz.... But you just poop all over everything. I just watched a 20 min practice video (only because I played WR for a couple years in JUCO down in MS before catching the "Malfunctioning-Maggitt Disorder" and had to hang it up) that showed VAST improvement in a lot of areas. Am I saying we have arrived and UT will be winning championships again soon? No, no I'm not. What's that midget down in Tuscaloosa always talk about? Dislike him immensely, but he always preaches of "the process". You don't build champions over night. Everything is pointing in the right direction, all we need to see now is the play on the field to start improving each year, heck, each week, and we'll climb that mountain, Nancy.

Here's what jumped out at me:

• Worley isn't going to win the Heisman, which I know let's a lot of you down to hear, but it's night and day the way he is running that offense compared to last year (I know it's just a practice, but that's where it starts). He was decisive, he went through his progressions/looked off coverages more times in this one video than he did all last season, and his arm strength is VASTLY improved. He's no Favre, but I saw him put some zing on it tonight that I didn't think he had.

• The receivers looked much, much more crisp on their routes, which also comes with becoming more comfortable /confident in the offense. We should all enjoy North while we can, cause that kid is the real deal, and it's not even a maybe if he will be a star. He is the complete and total package, and it's a thing of beauty to see him run past a DB then turn around and abuse him when they try to press. If you're big and strong, USE IT! Which leads me to Croom. He made a couple of nice catches, but he's just a every-now-and-then type guy that blows my mind. He's 6'5" 235.... Just go look at the size of the corners on this team. Every time they try to put a hand on him he should rip their arm off and beat them with it. He should be bullying those kids. Classic case of looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. It seems like a mental thing for him, and I hope the light comes on and STAYS ON, because right now he's workin with a short circuit. Love how Pig fights for every ball even though he's the smallest one out there. Josh Smith is hands down the best route runner on that team, and it's not close. If he can lose the gator arms during games, he could be very effective for them. Pearson makes it all look easy. He jogs at 4.4 speed it seems like. Very fluid athlete. If Malone's work ethic gets to the level of his natural athletic ability, he's gonna be following North in the 1st round some day.

•Helm and Wolfe are the type of tight ends the game of football is steamrolling towards, and they give that position a dynamic that was completely non-existent last season. Creamer has the size/frame/speed to be a major problem for opposing defenses if he can learn this position and get more consistent with his hands. He's a freak athlete.

• The DB's look so much quicker/aggressive/physical. They have the catch 22 of covering one of the BEST receiving cores in the nation (I'm kidding, Nancy, calm down). But no, they are one of the largest in the nation for sure, and that makes these DB's have to come out and play physical every. single. day. (and that you can't deny) Josh Smith is 6'1" and he looks like a 4th grader up next to those guys.

• There ya have it. I read every website, all the message boards, every magazine, you name it... But I rarely post on these things, so when I do, I got a lot to get out. I apologize for this monster post, but sometimes.... You just gotta let it all go, guys.

Ain't that right, Nancy? Go Vols, baby

:good!:

Reactions: 3 people
Rocky Top Insider @rockytopinsider · 4s

Brodus good from 43, Bullock misses well right from 43

Rocky Top Insider @rockytopinsider · 18s

Medley good from 45ish to conclude the drill

Who's gonna be our #1 kicker? Medley? Bullock? Brodus? I would think Medley but Brodus made a couple of kicks for us when Palardy was injured last season. I just don't see Bullocks getting the nod.

Is it just me or do the QB's look like they are staring down their WR's? :crazy:

I know we are thin, but has cbj or staff addressed tackling? Just was thinking how do we know if these guys are going to be any good at tackling when they play touch? You think they may have went touch last night just for the open practice try and avoid injury in front of fans? Or are all the practices touch? And if so, how are we going to be a physical team if we don't hit in practice.

Wait... What? Sorry. What?

You're asking if they've coached and practiced tackling? If not, fire the whole lot right now.

The important thing isn't whether we know if they can tackle. The important thing is if they can tackle. I'm sure they've worked it into practice throughout the offseason.

The VQ guys said that Worley had a great night and was easily the best QB on the field tonight. That said, Peterman and Dobbs had good nights as well. What will Rocky Top Insider and Basilio say about that?

They will continue to talk up Peterman and Dobbs just so they have something to blab about. Controversy drives interest to their shows and websites. They are like Finebaum--say anything to create a buzz and call attention to themselves.

They will continue to talk up Peterman and Dobbs just so they have something to blab about. Controversy drives interest to their shows and websites. They are like Finebaum--say anything to create a buzz and call attention to themselves.

Or, you know, they talk them up because they're actually doing well. Not everything requires tinfoil.

If you actually go to the practice, and/or watch the videos, you can see that Peterman looks just about as good as Worley does. And Dobbs looked better Saturday than he has in the past few practices.

I promise there are no ads on my post. I'm sure I have some other agenda though.

Reactions: 2 people

Everyone's favorite player is the backup qb

Has there been anymore updates on Saulsberry's injury guys? I assume we will know more tomorrow but I'm just really curious & concerned he might be lost for a good while.

I have a strong feeling our fanbase has, and will continue to highly overrate our receiving corp, just like they did least year with the offensive line. Gonna be impossible to live up to these expectations, and tonight kind of showcased that.

We have one of the most talented WR corps in the country. The thing that is going to hamper that fact is the QB play. We don't have an elite QB throwing to these guys. They are by no means overrated. I don't think anyone is expecting these guys to be all Americans because everyone knows about our QB play.

Also you do realize last night was just practice right?

VN Store

Back