Sweeping Sexual Assault Suit Filed Against UT

no poll

• Total voters

Looking at the wiki he obviously has a bone to pick with athletes. Nothing saying his research isn't valid - it just appears his mission in life is reporting negativity in relation to athletes.

My problem is with classifying the whole lot due to the actions of a few and blaming something other than the individual to keep from blaming the individual.

Looking at the wiki he obviously has a bone to pick with athletes. Nothing saying his research isn't valid - it just appears his mission in life is reporting negativity in relation to athletes.

My problem is with classifying the whole lot due to the actions of a few and blaming something other than the individual to keep from blaming the individual.

I think you're jumping to many conclusions while not having read the book summary, or the actual academic literature.

As you mentioned, the research was published in the mid to late 90s, surely if it was bad or biased that someone else would have published another academic study on the topic roundly refuting the claims.

You might be right, he might be terribly biased, and those numbers might be bunk.

Either way, there should be data to look at to help inform your decision.

My thesis is still the same: if those numbers are correct, there are troubling patterns in the culture of college athletics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'll say this (from a woman's perspective) for anyone interested:

We should be able to dress how we want to dress, go where we want to go, act how we want to act, and still expect guys to treat us with respect and honor our wishes. Stop when we say no. All that being said, we do have to take responsibility of situations we put ourselves in.

When a lady puts herself in a closed bedroom (especially the bedroom of a male she has had past relations with and/or has been flirting with) with a male, she needs to unequivocally trust that person. If something bad were to happen in that situation, then there are no witnesses. And frankly, with everything leading up to the incident in question being consensual, her case looks weak. It'd be nice if all guys were gentlemen, but they aren't.

Now to the other side; when a man (especially one in the public eye) puts himself in a compromising situation, he needs to unequivocally trust the female he's with. A false claim can ruin a life. And sadly, not all women are trustworthy either.

Just my ramblings. I kinda get what you're trying to say AM64.

Be nice if all girls were ladies also.

Edit: Kristy, I've read this a half dozen times, and I am going to respectfully disagree. A "lady" doesn't put herself in that situation, trust or no unless she has an exclusive relationship with the individual. Casually going into a guys bedroom late at night is not the act of a lady. There generally is an expectation of what will happen unless the female said no sex prior to entering into the situation and someone heard her. This is a sticky subject at this point (no pun intended) and if something happens and there is no evidence of forced sex or sexual assault then the she said should never override the he said automatically. It does, always, or at least in what we have seen from the KPD.

Last edited:
When I was growing up, you put out on the first couple of dates, you were a ho. But hey, according to some on here we live in a much better time now.

When I was growing up, you put out on the first couple of dates, you were a ho. But hey, according to some on here we live in a much better time now.

The minute you wrote "put out" you sort of dated yourself. Got a chuckle as I was also around when "put out" was used. This is the 21st century I'm not sure anybody puts out anymore, it's more consensual they "hook up" these days.

The minute you wrote "put out" you sort of dated yourself. Got a chuckle as I was also around when "put out" was used. This is the 21st century I'm not sure anybody puts out anymore, it's more consensual they "hook up" these days.

"Check out the gams on that twist! Bet she gets in a family way boy howdy!"

He won't be back for awhile. His beeper went off and he has to find a pay phone

Reactions: 2 people

Yeah and when you were growing up Josh Dobbs would've been unwelcome in a lot of Bars, Restaurants, and social gatherings because of his physical features as well.

But hey, according to some on here those were much better times.

Still sounds like you're defending an actual rape situation with the "just better not to be there". Those of us believing that our players have been falsely accused, prolly also believe a young woman can attend a social gathering without expectation of sexual assault. :unsure:

2:30 am, intoxicated (most likely), and in a guys bedroom is not a social gathering.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah and when you were growing up Josh Dobbs would've been unwelcome in a lot of Bars, Restaurants, and social gatherings because of his physical features as well.

Actually no. If you read history, a large majority of the rural south was integrated. Our town did just fine. I grew up in North Alabama in the late 60's and 70's and ate next to black folk. Had black folks in our church. I would take today's racial equality coupled with our small town way of life that included family values in all races over today's society any day.

Look at where the racial issues were and you will see that they existed in cities with urban areas, not rural America.

And by the way, what the **** does race have to do with a young persons morals anyway? Can we not have racial equality, family values AND morals or in your brave new world are they mutually exclusive? This defense of today's immortality based on life is better now so live with it has worn thin.

And by the way, what the **** does race have to do with a young persons morals anyway? Can we not have racial equality, family values AND morals or in your brave new world are they mutually exclusive? This defense of today's immortality based on life is better now so live with it has worn thin.

If I'm reading it correctly.

There are good and bad to the former generations as there are pros and cons to the advancements we have made.
Instead of debating which is better, seems a smart population would add to the positive and minimize the negative of each?.

Kristy what's your thought on this

How do we know Jake wasn't the more intoxicated and Josie was the aggressor?
Partly joking but I did have my first experience with an older woman while drunk.
Safe to say it would have been different had I been sober enough to truly think things through. I do remember that she was persistent.
Never thought of it as "rape" though.
Which I find to be the real difference between rape and regret.
Were you physically forced?
One is a real crime, the other is a poor choice. I made a poor choice.

Last edited:
How do we know Jake wasn't the more intoxicated and Josie was the aggressor?
Partly joking but I did have my first experience with an older woman while drunk.
Safe to say it would have been different had I been sober enough to truly think things through. I do remember that she was persistent.
Never thought of it as "rape" though.
Which I find to be the real difference between rape and regret.
Were you physically forced?
One is a real crime, the other is a poor choice. I made a poor choice.
Just how big was this woman?

Just how big was this woman?

Not very. At least back then :)
But she was in her mid twenties and I was WAY younger.
So technically, in this case, it could be considered statutory.
But that's just b.s. in my experience.
Had she been younger, it would have made zero difference in that I wouldn't have chosen her as my first, especially in those circumstances. But there was still no force.
Rape is very real but I believe regret or embarrassment is the actual culprit in some of these cases.

Kristy what's your thought on this

It's reality but ridiculous. I agree with the other comments here.

Women and men are "equal," yet only drunk men can rape drunk women - BS. I feel that if the women chooses to drink too much, then the consequences of her actions are her responsibility. If she drives, she would be charged with a DUI; if she causes a fatality while driving, she would be charged with vehicular homicide. Why then is having sex the only action for which she is not responsible? And how is a man supposed to know at what point she is unable to give consent? Obviously, if she were passed out, drugged, etc, and the circumstances were somehow beyond her control, then yes, it would be rape. Otherwise, it's a decision the women should have to live with. Equal rights should be equal.

Reactions: 6 people
It's reality but ridiculous. I agree with the other comments here.

Women and men are "equal," yet only drunk men can rape drunk women - BS. I feel that if the women chooses to drink too much, then the consequences of her actions are her responsibility. If she drives, she would be charged with a DUI; if she causes a fatality while driving, she would be charged with vehicular homicide. Why then is having sex the only action for which she is not responsible? And how is a man supposed to know at what point she is unable to give consent? Obviously, if she were passed out, drugged, etc, and the circumstances were somehow beyond her control, then yes, it would be rape. Otherwise, it's a decision the women should have to live with. Equal rights should be equal.

Daammm. Sounds like my thoughts..if I ever bothered to take the time to express properly. But I don't, so I just gave a very enthusiastic "like" instead.

Actually no. If you read history, a large majority of the rural south was integrated. Our town did just fine. I grew up in North Alabama in the late 60's and 70's and ate next to black folk. Had black folks in our church. I would take today's racial equality coupled with our small town way of life that included family values in all races over today's society any day.

Look at where the racial issues were and you will see that they existed in cities with urban areas, not rural America.

Lol "I never saw segregation or racism, so things were all hunky dory. It was just in those evil, moralless cities where it happened."

I don't think the point was all that difficult to comprehend: idealizing the past doesn't actually make it a better time. You remember it as being simpler and "better" because you were young when it happened, news media wasn't as prevalent to point out every little bad thing like nowadays, and because you're less comfortable in the world as it is than in the world you grew up in.

As for all the "family values and morals" talk, whose do you mean? Different people have different views on what exactly those all mean. It seems to me the American was is to take care of your own house and family and leave your neighbors to do the same.

VN Store

Back