Lady Vols Game Thread vs Dayton NCAA Tournament

Sorry that my expectations of a #1 player in her recruiting class is very high, not picking on her when she balls out I send her praise when she doesn't I criticize her just like I do my lil sister who plays collegiate basketball and has a tendency to play lazy as well! When there are chances for you to dominate and you have the ability to do so (Russell has a lot of those chances) and you play like you just happy to be there doesn't sit well with me and trust me it wouldn't have sit well with Pat and it damn sure wouldn't sit well with Geno yet Holly allows it that is all I am saying! A top 10 pick in a down draft class wow, she should be the 1st overall pick as she was the Top recruit of this current draft class! If she had the same passion for the game as an Alaina Coates (or the Post at Cal) we make it to the Final Four without question....but hey what do I know

I am with you... i expect from Mercedes more than we are getting... she looked like she was wearing cement shoes today.... I do not know how far we can go in this tournament.... we cannot play our opponents in slow motion

Nunn plays like she is really thrilled to be on the floor as a Lady Vol! I like that. Of all our players other than DD, she will crash the boards the most, and I suspect she isn't someone you want to get in a fistfight with. She isn't the most skilled player out there, but she has some kind of idea about boxing out and working to get in position.

I thought AM was workmanlike today. Nothing spectacular, but good effort.

Jaime, what is going on with her? Is she ill?

I agree about starting Nunn over MR.

I'm glad the LVs pulled this one out. DD was great, and I saw her get mad a couple of times at stupid play by others. She showed some leadership. We need it!

Reactions: 3 people
I'm here watching and I agree. She is incredible. End of story. 💙💎🍊🏀

You in Louisville? We debated going, but we got our UT email as to ticket purchase late; it came the same day the purchase had to be made, some stuff came up, and it was past 5:00 before we realized it. Talked about driving up and purchasing at site but decided to pass. Just been home for a week after being gone for over a month, only home 3 days during that time, and we are pretty much over hotels:shakehead:.

On TV it looks like very little orange in the stands from prior years. If so, sad:sad::sad:.

Reactions: 1 person
I AGREE..Russell should be a beast but instead she is very weak. Nunn plays each game as if she is grateful for the opportunity. At one point today the camera caught her taking a deep breath and taking it all in, beautiful. I feel as though she is one of the x-factors. This is a new environment. TO be on a team people expect to make noise, she is ready. I love how she played today. As much as Deshields did amazing, Nunn to me was the reason we won. She brought emotion as well as production. AN emotional leader does nothing when there isn't production. Great job Nunn!!! These girls made me feel like they had a conversation and are ready to make a run. This was not a perfect game but i watched the body language and the emotion and what they were saying to each other. They are ready to be a team and are actually speaking to each other, even f it isn't positive, on the court.

The positive is Nared hasn't had a breakout game, she is due.

Jackson, is due.

Middleton, is due(think Vandersloot).

Russell, is due.

Deshields, is ready. Period.

Jackson cannot hit the broad side of a barn.

A. Middleton 26 Min. 1 point
J. Reynolds 38 Min. 3 points
M. Jackson 16 Min. 2 points
total 80 Min. 5 points 3Ast
How do you win games like this.

Reactions: 4 people

Let the senior nunn start for middleton...you get better defense, more points, more rebounding and less stupid boneheaded plays.

Reactions: 2 people

This is abysmal! We will not beat Louisville with those numbers from them 3! Their play just frustrates me SO much!

You don't win very many games like this against good teams. But there are several on this board that will invariably blame Mercedes Russell for this train wreck of a set of guards this team has.

Decent defense, plus Dayton missing some easy shots and 24 from DD, 14 from Nunn, 14 from MR.

I agree that the LVs are going to need more from their role players if they are to get past Louisville.

Except for the abysmal 2nd quarter, the LVs gave a good effort and in the second half did a better than average job in getting the ball into the paint.

I am not sure why some negativity is being expressed about MR (not in this post per se). She had a slow start but finished strong and put in a double-double. Some of Nunn's success had to do with Dayton doubling up on MR and leaving space open for Nunn to operate. Both did their jobs and helped the LVs dominate the paint.

I am not sure why some negativity is being expressed about MR (not in this post per se). She had a slow start but finished strong and put in a double-double. Some of Nunn's success had to do with Dayton doubling up on MR and leaving space open for Nunn to operate. Both did their jobs and helped the LVs dominate the paint.

I agree with you. WHile she's not perfect, this team would be so much worse without her. MR is almost impossible to stop 1-on-1 and along with DD is the only player on the team that can carry the load on her shoulders. If she leaves for the WNBA after this season, her loss will be felt immensely.

I agree with you. WHile she's not perfect, this team would be so much worse without her. MR is almost impossible to stop 1-on-1 and along with DD is the only player on the team that can carry the load on her shoulders. If she leaves for the WNBA after this season, her loss will be felt immensely.

I agree Russell is very important to the team's success, but she can give way more than she gives some time. Getting out played and pushed around by players way smaller than you is ridiculous. Sometimes she plays lackadaisical and comes off as lazy. Why in the world are you constantly holding your hands back like you are scared send that s*** into the stands and quit watching the player score on you. It's so frustrating to watch. She should be dominating the middle. Play with some attitude and quit getting pushed around, stripped of the ball and dropping passes. Not trying to be mean, but Russell will not make it in the WNBA playing like that. She also needs to get way stronger, she gets pushed around to easily. Thank God she was more assertive in the 2nd half.

Nared has to stay out of foul trouble is the first thing that needs to happen

the guards need to step it up and score some points

or play better Defense,a combination of both is what I want :)

Wholeheartedly agree.

The guards will have to show up and play strong. This teams needs them to score to occupy defensive players and keep them off of the post.

Indeed, next season the old adage that "you don't appreciate what you have till its gone," could be very relevant.

Yes, I think Nared came primed to play but she took herself out of the game, in both halves no less, with early fouls. She needs to find the discipline that she had for most of the season.

Though our guard play was not great tonight, Middleton had a solid defensive game.

When you look at the flow of the game, the LVs clearly followed the game plan of getting inside and getting to the rim. The team only took 5 shots from beyond the arc and Middleton only took 2 shots. The glaring stats were JR 1 for 6 and Jamie 2 for 8. To beat U of L, they will need more from those two.

Luckily we didn't need that many points to beat Dayton and Qui chipping in 14 made this bunches total respectable. If they don't give us 25 points against Louisville and we don't score somewhere close to 75 doubt we have a chance to win. I know a total in the 60's will be a loss.

VN Store

Back