do we need a new line backer coach

LBs did not play well last year IMO. DKJR needs to take that next step and we need more guys to emerge ( Bituli, Sapp etc) as playmakers & develop. Jumper improved somewhat last year but it will be troubling if he is still getting significant playing time.

Next step?? DKjr had a BEAST freshman year.. the high ankle sprain week 2 ruined his season last year.. hes right where he needs to be just gotta make sure he stay healthy.. best player on defense by far.. top 5 linebacker in the sec imo

Reactions: 2 people
Gotta have a bag man.

Yeah, Bama's is still paying.

One kid we've been working hard on started having devinner tweets appear.
( the infamous "Handler" scumbag) and he's tweeting praises for Bama, well to this kid anyway.
Of course his fan Hood changes depending on who's paying the most for which kid.

Sometimes I click on these threads just to see who started them. I can usually narrow it down to 3 people.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't know man. I was very impressed with Jumper. I would personally love to see Kirkland and Jumper be on the field at the same time.

I think I agree. Not sure about Jumper's instincts (seems like he got fooled a few times last year) but, he's got a great motor, plays hard, and makes the tackle. If Kirkland has the instincts and smarts they say, he should have Jumper in the right spot to do his job.

I don't knock Thig for his recruiting, but he seems to be the weak link from a coaching standpoint. I think there are better LB coaches out there who can provide both. That being said, I hope to see improved play by our LBs as a whole.

Reactions: 1 person
Sometimes I click on these threads just to see who started them. I can usually narrow it down to 3 people.

And they might all be the same troll, just using different accounts. Like he's doing throughout this thread.

Hard to believe Freak hasn't banned him yet.

Next step?? DKjr had a BEAST freshman year.. the high ankle sprain week 2 ruined his season last year.. hes right where he needs to be just gotta make sure he stay healthy.. best player on defense by far.. top 5 linebacker in the sec imo

Players typically improve by the time they are a junior compared to their first year.

The first 2 (specifically JRM) has shown to be a very good SEC LB.

The rest, meh.
I'm not arguing that they are good SEC LB's, just that they have been developed well. Jumper has shown a lot of progress. McDowell was making some good plays, as was Sapp before the injury. El. Berry also played decently. They all did pretty good, considering they were very inexperienced. They were being properly developed and trained in practice, before they ever saw the field in college.

I can say with 100% confidence if JRM and Dk stayed healthy last year, this thread wouldnt exist.

Remember, we played most of the season without our 2 best LBs.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree with you, we need some shredders at linebacker.

I believe you'll see that this season with the emergence of Bituli, Sapp, and Smith. Injuries to these coupled with JRM, and the slow development of Bates, left us vulnerable in a bad way last year.

I expect much more production this season.

I'm not arguing that they are good SEC LB's, just that they have been developed well. Jumper has shown a lot of progress. McDowell was making some good plays, as was Sapp before the injury. El. Berry also played decently. They all did pretty good, considering they were very inexperienced. They were being properly developed and trained in practice, before they ever saw the field in college.

So he has a talent issue at the position he coaches?

Or an injury issue.

It played a part for sure, it put many of the guys you listed on the field after JRM and DK went down.

The guys you listed are mainly 2nd and 3rd year guys at the time. The gap between the top 2 (JRM and DK) and the rest doesn't show much development unless you are saying those guys were flat out terrible when they got here. Or a talent issue.

Thig's strength is off the field.

LBs did not play well last year IMO. DKJR needs to take that next step and we need more guys to emerge ( Bituli, Sapp etc) as playmakers & develop. Jumper improved somewhat last year but it will be troubling if he is still getting significant playing time.

LBs will miraculously show phenomenal improvement once the Vols have a healthy DT rotation. :)

Reactions: 7 people
You're unhappy with the development of JRM, DKJr, C. McDowell, Sapp, even Jumper and El. Berry?

The first two were/are good SEC players. McDowell played just OK last year when he was forced into duty but I don't really think is starter material (badly undersized) despite being a 4-star and recruited by all the blue chip schools. Jumper is in the same boat, probably played better than McDowell, except he wasn't highly recruited (not even rated by the recruiting services). Sapp missed basically all of last year with a blown out ACL. Elliott Berry is not very good but also was not highly recruited, so it is unfair to expect a lot out of him.

Bituli is another guy that needs to emerge this year.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back