Big money boosters?

What exactly is a proven winner? We hired one of those once; remember Majors. We've also hired a couple of very good coaches from the assistant ranks - Dickey and Fulmer. FL hired Dickey - then a proven winner; and it flopped.

"Proven winners" in the coaching ranks seem to work just about the same as "proven winners" in horse racing. It's all about karma and the pieces fitting together at some mystical point in time.

If success depended only on proven winners then the same teams would have it all locked up every year, and historically that's been very rare. And dynasties built around a proven winner would never falter - they could only get stronger with time.

What in the world are you talking about? Sure it took Majors some time to get things turned around but: 9-3, 9-2, 11-1, 10-2, 9-1 (with some ties in there) was pretty darn good. He coached (Tennessee) for 15 years, and after he got things turned he had only 1 loosing season, and 6..... 3 loss or better seasons out of 9 (with 4 of those 6 showing above). Was he the best coach.....no but he was certainly not a bust (right about now I would take some 9-1, 10-2, 11-1 seasons with a couple not so good ones in there).

These booster probably don't care all that much with 8-4 or better and a bowl win or at least a bigger bowl game. Seems to take a lot to get their attention with this program over there. They'll even deal with 7-5 ever so often as long as their fridge in the skybox is stocked full of Bourbon, Vodka and beer prior to each game.

What in the world are you talking about? Sure it took Majors some time to get things turned around but: 9-3, 9-2, 11-1, 10-2, 9-1 (with some ties in there) was pretty darn good. He coached (Tennessee) for 15 years, and after he got things turned he had only 1 loosing season, and 6..... 3 loss or better seasons out of 9 (with 4 of those 6 showing above). Was he the best coach.....no but he was certainly not a bust (right about now I would take some 9-1, 10-2, 11-1 seasons with a couple not so good ones in there).

Sounds like you agree that Butch needs more time...after all, he inherited less talent and has done better than Majors did. Johnny was 21-23 in his first 4 years coaching the Vols and that included going 0-12 against ranked teams...Butch went 30-21 in his first 4 years and was 4-13 against ranked teams...Johnny didn't crack the top 25 in his first years but Butch has finished in the top 25 the last two years...

So will Butch continue to improve? Who know for sure but if we had canned Majors after his 4 years we would missed some good time...

Reactions: 1 person
Do you ever read your own stuff??

Saban is a proven winner--4 NC in how many years? And he probably should have 2 more....

Meyer wins consistently....
Bob Stoops won consistently....
Dabo wins consistently...
Jimbo Fisher wins consistently....
Chris Petersen wins consistently...
Hairball wins consistently...
Franklin at PSU wins consistently....
Spurrier won consistently....
General Neyland won consistently...

Bear Bryant was a proven winner....

Nobody wins the NC every year...but all of those guys have a win % near 70% or above.....

That's a proven winner....:salute:

And yes....those types of guys are rare....

There are 130 FBS football teams, and you mentioned seven active coaches. How many do you think would leave the job they have right now? How many are nearing retirement? What are their records vs Saban, and how many would relish coaching in the SEC? How many would fare as well in the SEC as in their current conferences?

Not all "proven winners" turn out to be a "can't miss"; Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Nebraska are all examples of long time football powers who have stumbled after choosing "proven winners". Alabama after the Bear didn't have a sterling record when it came to choosing coaches.

With Texas down the drain, Stoops was the pick of the litter in his crowd. Fisher had the inside track until Swinney got it together - that's going to be rock and hard place now. Sometimes it's more about a vacuum in a conference rather than a clear cut winner.

I don't have a list - but am interested to see if any of what I was just told is true...

I'll quote the text I received: "Butch has lost major boosters. $10M buyout is not a problem. Needs to win out minus Alabama. If not, expect word after LSU game."

Again I have no inside knowledge personally. But this guy is a friend and has been right on several other instances pertaining to UT athletics (mainly basketball).

I'm hoping some better-connected folks can either refute or confirm.

no direct comment necessary just pure :lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

omfg...the freaking naive yokels on here

sigh

There are 130 FBS football teams, and you mentioned seven active coaches.

Uh...I could've listed more....

David Shaw at Stanford....77%

Paul Chryst at Wisconsin...63.2%--but is 24-6 at Wisky

Dantonio at Mich. State...65%...but 68% at MSU...

Herman at TX--we don't know yet...but 23-6 right now
with a very shaky start at Longhorn U....too soon to tell

Kyle Whittingham at Utah stands at 68%...

Helton at USC is 19-7....for 73% as a young HC..
Gundy at Ok. State is right at 68%....

Gary Patterson at TCU stands at 73.7%....makes me sick to my gut to think we could've hired him to replace Fulmer....idiot move by Hamilton!

James Franklin sits at 63+% now....but it will go up in the future to approach 70% or more...IMO

That's 9 more active coaches to bring the total to 16 out of 130....that's approximately 12.3%...or just a hair less than 1 out of 8 coaches in D-1...which is not as rare as I thought....

The point I was making was that winning 70% of games coached is the reasonable standard for being labeled as a proven winner.

But the thing is--how much time does it take to prove yourself as a winning coach?

CBJ sits right now at 62.6%...almost 63%--does any intelligent person really think he is as good as James Franklin??

And would any rational person actually not want Dantonio here at Tennessee since he's only sitting at 68% career wins?

If that's the case then why did we have to make payments to Dooley?

Because it takes a good AD to actually get off his ass and go fund raise.

If your a homeless man trying to eat, you have to go out and panhandle a little bit. People with money aren't going to come up under the bridge and find you in your cardboard box to give you money. You have to go out and get it.

We now have an AD that's willing to go set down with people and discuss actual business. He did it at Kansas state with their boosters. He will do it here with ours.

The Vols are perhaps only the 3rd best team in the state of Tennessee. In year 5 that is totally ridiculous and unacceptable. Some coaches have that winning vibe...or a penchant for winning...Butch is the complete opposite. All 3 Florida losses...Oklahoma...Vandy. Even had a 4th quarter lead at Bama that we all knew wouldn't last.

Some say "ehhhh. It's one game. It's a long season". It is just one game...but it had monumental implications (always does) for the rest of the season. It can either make or destroy your season. Butch found a way to accomplish the latter. If Florida had suspended the entire starting team, Butch would still have found a way to choke it away. Maybe not everybody is so accepting of seeing this once proud program be crapped away by an incompetent coach way in over his head. We can hope.

I think you're seeing all of this through a dark glass because of the sting of the recent loss.

You say this loss is monumental. Last year, we won this game and it didn't matter because of later games in the season. That's still true. We don't yet know how this will turn out.

As for the comparison to Vandy & Memphis, you're just guessing. TN has played tougher teams and in tougher venues, IMO. Neither Vandy nor Memphis are ranked even though they have no losses.

Once proud? I'm still proud of TN. Look back through history and see how many times in 120 years that we had more than 9 wins.

It's like folks wanna flunk a student for earning a B+ . Why? Because somebody on twitter said a B+ sucks?

Guess I'm just a dumb 🐑

Reactions: 2 people
Jones hugs!
We knew that the minute the majority of us had to google him when his name first came up.

I appreciate what he's done for us. But it's time for a new bricklayer

Uh...I could've listed more....

David Shaw at Stanford....77%

Paul Chryst at Wisconsin...63.2%--but is 24-6 at Wisky

Dantonio at Mich. State...65%...but 68% at MSU...

Herman at TX--we don't know yet...but 23-6 right now
with a very shaky start at Longhorn U....too soon to tell

Kyle Whittingham at Utah stands at 68%...

Helton at USC is 19-7....for 73% as a young HC..
Gundy at Ok. State is right at 68%....

Gary Patterson at TCU stands at 73.7%....makes me sick to my gut to think we could've hired him to replace Fulmer....idiot move by Hamilton!

James Franklin sits at 63+% now....but it will go up in the future to approach 70% or more...IMO

That's 9 more active coaches to bring the total to 16 out of 130....that's approximately 12.3%...or just a hair less than 1 out of 8 coaches in D-1...which is not as rare as I thought....

The point I was making was that winning 70% of games coached is the reasonable standard for being labeled as a proven winner.

But the thing is--how much time does it take to prove yourself as a winning coach?

CBJ sits right now at 62.6%...almost 63%--does any intelligent person really think he is as good as James Franklin??

And would any rational person actually not want Dantonio here at Tennessee since he's only sitting at 68% career wins?

Yes.

He his a much better human being than Franklin. Firing CBJ to hire that piece of **** would be one of the worst things UTAD could do in my opinion.

its just my opinion based on the actions they have taken in the last 10 years. I don't know the answers to those questions on why people think and do things.

I'm fairly certain that Manning and Coach Fulmer disagree with a lot of what those making decisions have done during the last 10 years. They don't have the capital to do much about it. Neither favored Currie for the job.

This makes me think boosters are intimidated by Peyton, they have money and obviously chose our ad without his support. I would venture a guess that Peyton knows more about what an organization in football program needs to be successful more than boosters do. ( I'm talking wins and losses)

I seriously doubt there's someone out there who looks at 10milllion and says "No problem"

You don't become a billionaire by throwing 10 million out there like it's nothing.

So very true, I've heard of these big boosters forever, but when it's time to pony up for these 10 mil +++ buyouts and more, they are no where to be seen or heard
Nowhere!

Yes.

He his a much better human being than Franklin. Firing CBJ to hire that piece of **** would be one of the worst things UTAD could do in my opinion.

Agree. Hiring Franklin or a few other coaches would likely split the fanbase worse than it is right now. Kiffin probably wouldn't have lasted even if he won, and Harbaugh wouldn't get along here like he seems to in MI.

Let's start the wild rumor that Bob Stoops is tiring of retirement and wants the challenge of UT in the SEC. Reaaly its true, yeah thats the ticket....

VN Store

Back