Here is my problem with Gruden

College football is all about recruiting. He can recruit without doing anything due to his TV/NFL persona. The only way to beat Bama is to out recruit them (take players they want). That will not happen with any of the other coaches on the hot list.

100% agree with you. Some don't seem to understand in the NFL gm's decide the players you have. It has been proven with the right players JG can coach a team to super bowl winners. He is in control of the players he has at the College level. And I think there is no doubt he can recruit.

Reactions: 1 person
There is no "emotional bond." You don't have the first clue about NFL coaching and you are shifting the focus to distract others from that fact.

No emotional bond?? Go back and look at your first post in this thread over my suggestion that Gruden may not be all that people say he is. You acted like I just punched your grandma.

Reactions: 2 people
As noted by a prior poster, my issue is simply the dollar value. If the Grumors are true we're "all in". Financially we are in a monumental hole if this doesn't pan out and regardless of the arguments of him being amazing or not -- the truth is there is some level of unknown with Gruden. College is different from the NFL, but football is football. I suspect he would do an excellent job but if he doesn't, UT will be plunged into mediocrity for at least another 10 years simply due to financial constraints.

No emotional bond?? Go back and look at your first post in this thread over my suggestion that Gruden may not be all that people say he is. You acted like I just punched your grandma.

No, I acted like it was monumentally stupid to say he's "not that good of a coach," and it still is.

He’s just not that good of a coach.

- His career winning percentage is .540
- Only made the playoffs 5 out of 11 years
- After winning his SB, he went on to have losing seasons in 3 of the next 4 years
- He won his SB with Dungys players and really only won because the opposing QB threw 2pic 6s

Don’t understand the fascination to be honest. He has also said if he had to coach on the college level he would have the school in NCAA trouble within 10 min because he would not be able to abide by the rules.

This is the guy you’re hanging your hopes on? Really?

I don't agree with the comment about him winning a SB with Dungy's players, but that said Gruden is not coming to coach the vols.

Tennessee has serious concerns about Jon Gruden as a coaching candidate - CBSSports.com

Tennessee has considerable reservations about hiring Jon Gruden, CBS Sports has learned.

The concerns surround the fact Gruden has not coached at all in nine years and has not roamed a college football sideline in 26 years. Also, Gruden was basically a .500 coach (57-55) in his seven years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers even after winning the Super Bowl in his first season with the Bucs in 2002. Some contend that roster had been largely assembled by former coach Tony Dungy, who had one losing season in his 13 combined years with Tampa Bay and the Indianapolis Colts.

Gruden had seasons in which his teams went .500 or worse in five of his 11 years in the NFL. He last coached in college when he served as Pittsburgh's wide receivers coach in 1991. There is also concern about his recruiting ability, especially in the hyper-charged SEC culture that lives day-to-day on recruiting.

Because of the sensitivity of the search process, sources close to the situation did not wish to be identified.

This is not to say Tennessee would not consider hiring Gruden. It's just that the Vols' concerns are real. Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy and former Oregon coach Chip Kelly, two names that have also been linked to the Tennessee job, are still thought to be among the candidates.

Gruden and Tennessee have been linked since before Butch Jones was fired last week. In fact, Gruden's name being linked to a major job has become almost an annual occurrence.

The 54-year-old ESPN analyst has done little lately to shoot down speculation that he would be interested in Tennessee.

Is Gundy really a candidate? If so, hire that man now.

rumors among some writers and Tampa locals is that he is being sought
for the Bucs if/when they get rid of their coach. Gruden likes the area, likes
his $6 m ESPN gig and watching film in his office complex every day. But he
may have more nfl interest than college.

"Most of the time, college football is simply about who has the most talent. Jon Gruden will give Tennessee a significant recruiting advantage irregardless of any possible coaching deficiencies."

Teddy Roosevelt, 1913

Did teddy roosevelt know Jon Gruden before he was born?

Gruden was 45-51 in his last 6 seasons as an NFL coach, and among SB winning coaches only Dick Vermeil and Weeb Ewbank have lower overall winning percentages.

He’s not awful, but not nearly worth the hype and emotional bond so many like yourself have formed over the prospects of him coaching on the Hill.

I agree

My dad made a great point that he is a huge name and a huge name brings in talent. Saban is a good coach but he wins because Alabama out talents other teams. It really is that simple. Alabama doesn't exactly develop players like everyone thinks.
I'm not sure I'm for Gruden. I'm not sure I'm against him.

I just don't see the justification for all the "Gruden-Worship".
He's a mediocre-to-decent NFL coach...certainly nothing special, and that's in a league with VERY few restrictions on players...(they don't call it the National Felons League for nothing).
Gruden's "recruiting experience" is taking the bosses checkbook out and hiring mercenaries that can win games. That's how it works in the NFL. Even at that, it's not like he built any kind of "powerhouse program" with legs that endured season after season.
NCAA coaching experience...ZERO.
NCAA recruiting experience...ZERO.
He's not going to be working with proven professionals. He's going to have a bunch of (hopefully)talented kids that he will have to develop into First Tier competitors. I haven't seen anything in his record that demonstrates an ability to do that.
Please tell me again why he's supposedly worth MILLIONS to the Big Orange...???

Tennessee has serious concerns about Jon Gruden as a coaching candidate
Though a marriage between the Vols and Gruden has been rumored for a while, it seems unlikely

An excerpt from the article...

Tennessee has considerable reservations about hiring Jon Gruden, CBS Sports has learned.

The concerns surround the fact Gruden has not coached at all in nine years and has not roamed a college football sideline in 26 years. Also, Gruden was basically a .500 coach (57-55) in his seven years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers even after winning the Super Bowl in his first season with the Bucs in 2002. Some contend that roster had been largely assembled by former coach Tony Dungy, who had one losing season in his 13 combined years with Tampa Bay and the Indianapolis Colts.

Tennessee has serious concerns about Jon Gruden as a coaching candidate - CBSSports.com

Reactions: 2 people
The author of this article, Dennis Dodd, says:

Because of the sensitivity of the search process, sources close to the situation did not wish to be identified.

When a reporter has unnamed sources, I generally can't trust a word they say/write. But evidently, he does know that UT is looking at/considering Jon Gruden.

VN Store

Back