The Official #18 Tennessee vs. Mississippi State Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network

Everyone talking about poor shooting. In crb system the ball almost has to go inside, iow play inside out basketball. We have almost zero inside touches to draw the defense in and open up our “shooters” (I use the word loosely). wasted scholarships on anosike and plavisic.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I just feel like the SEC teams know Barnes style of ball, and we've got 4 guys (Keon, Springer, Bailey, EJ) who are all playing their first season in conference.

I think this team got overhyped a bit with the 2 five stars incoming, had we had a traditional off-season I think we might have lived up to it. Still we're 11-3 and all 3 losses were more about what we didn't do offensively than what the other teams did.

I agree. I hate to shoot my expectations down so low but right now compared to where we were about 3 weeks ago but I think making the NCAAT should be the goal.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You know I’m not positive but Keon seems to be becoming our closer. Dude can get to the rack like flash and either draw a foul or get a good look

Reactions: Hbg
So why has our program all of a sudden just fallen flat on it's face and can't get back up? Why have we come out this season hot and hyped, and now are just flailing and sucking so bad? What happened? Other teams are getting better and stronger and we are regressing--- looks like the football team... guess it's a UT thing.
Um.... maybe just maybe our competition sucked.

I was walking past the downtown Embassy Suites and the Miss. St. bus was picking up the team around 11 this morning. I walked past Molinar and said, "Obviously, u all got my Vols, tonight ?". He said, "Yes, sir" and I said, "Good luck" and he followed that up with, "Thank u, sir". Seems like a very good kid, that treated me with nothing but respect. So, big win for the Vols and I got a new favorite non-Vol basketball player, Iverson Molinar

I was walking past the downtown Embassy Suites and the Miss. St. bus was picking up the team around 11 this morning. I walked past Molinar and said, "Obviously, u all got my Vols, tonight ?". He said, "Yes, sir" and I said, "Good luck" and he followed that up with, "Thank u, sir". Seems like a very good kid, that treated me with nothing but respect. So, big win for the Vols and I got a new favorite non-Vol basketball player, Iverson Molinar

“Sir”? I guess he don’t know you’re a Fulton boy.

“Sir”? I guess he don’t know you’re a Fulton boy.
TGO, I went to TBA, around 3 today, to buy tickets and they told me they were sold out. I had just got off the phone with some ticket agency in Chicago that had tickets, so I expected to get some on site. But, couldn't, did u go ?

Everyone talking about poor shooting. In crb system the ball almost has to go inside, iow play inside out basketball. We have almost zero inside touches to draw the defense in and open up our “shooters” (I use the word loosely). wasted scholarships on anosike and plavisic.
I think we should just post up our freshmen guards and let them score. Springer and Johnson are very aggressive when there posted up.

Reactions: Hbg and VolGee4
I’m not a huge fan of the NBA isolation game, but we probably need to start doing it more with Johnson and Springer. Both can get their own shot if they stay strong with the ball.

Pons has to get more aggressive as well. I told my son this, and right after, he drove to the top of the paint and hit a key shot with about 8-10 minutes left.

TGO, I went to TBA, around 3 today, to buy tickets and they told me they were sold out. I had just got off the phone with some ticket agency in Chicago that had tickets, so I expected to get some on site. But, couldn't, did u go ?

I have missed more games this year than the total I’ve missed since the TBA opened.

Definitely feel like our 8 man rotation should be this moving forward.

Fulky, Pons, JJJ, Springer, Santi, Keon, Bailey, Olivier

EJ would still get minutes, but dude hasn't proven he's going to contribute a ton with his minutes and I like the upside of a younger player like Olivier who has better size more.

Also I think we'll see the team improve as Keon/Springer progress. They accounted for 6 of our 11 TOs tonight and played 24 & 25 minutes for us. Another positive is we're seeing Pons emerge more as an offensive threat.

Reactions: orangemadam
I actually liked what EJ brought tonight, despite his still very limited offense. Really gave a lot of great effort in the first half in particular, and was very good boxing out all night.

I don't know what's got our offense so bogged down, but boy is it hard to watch. Fulky and Bailey have taken a big step back, as well as Vescovi not being consistent from the outside anymore. We got to figure something out, because scoring 56 points isn't going to cut it very often. We have to keep turnovers low, because if we don't give the ball up, our defense does significantly better. We also just have to clear the defensive glass, far to many second chance opportunities.

WOW, Auburn is getting way better each game, improving on all fronts, playing confident and with swagger, THEIR 5* improving and playing lights out... meanwhile we are just floundering barely able to hang on... can't even shoot.... regressing.

I hate to say it, but Barnes may be getting exposed this season. He has been lauded with doing more with less... now he has more and is crapping the bed... not good.
Couldn't agree more about Cooper, vib, and I commented as much after watching him in his 1st game that happened to be against Bama. At this point, I don't think there is a more impactful player in the league, with the possible exception of Petty, and, to me, there is not a more electrifying player to watch. Like many on this forum, I was cautiously optimistic about this UT team due to the erratic offensive production, but after watching these last 3 games, I now feel like I am witnessing the basketball version of the Vol football offense. I never could bring myself to buy into the comparison with Grant, Bone, and the Admiral--man, did I love watching those guys compete. This is still a very respectable and competitive squad, but my optimism has been significantly tempered; hope I'm wrong, but I see them winning 3, maybe 4, games in the next 10. I feel like the Kansas game has the potential to be a make or break game for the remainder of the season.

WOW, Auburn is getting way better each game, improving on all fronts, playing confident and with swagger, THEIR 5* improving and playing lights out... meanwhile we are just floundering barely able to hang on... can't even shoot.... regressing.

I hate to say it, but Barnes may be getting exposed this season. He has been lauded with doing more with less... now he has more and is crapping the bed... not good.
You mean the same auburn team that has 4 more losses than us and isn’t even ranked in the top 50 of the NET rankings? Btw we’re #12

Foh

Reactions: Vol49er
You mean the same auburn team that has 4 more losses than us and isn’t even ranked in the top 50 of the NET rankings? Btw we’re #12

Foh
Yes, that Auburn who started the season without their 5* and lost some games, now has him back, and is winning and improving every game...And we are not #12, we are #18, and lucky right now to be that high... #12 is Mizz, who we initially beat by 20 and then lost to at home...

I actually liked what EJ brought tonight, despite his still very limited offense. Really gave a lot of great effort in the first half in particular, and was very good boxing out all night.

I don't know what's got our offense so bogged down, but boy is it hard to watch. Fulky and Bailey have taken a big step back, as well as Vescovi not being consistent from the outside anymore. We got to figure something out, because scoring 56 points isn't going to cut it very often. We have to keep turnovers low, because if we don't give the ball up, our defense does significantly better. We also just have to clear the defensive glass, far to many second chance opportunities.
Effort and agression are not EJ's problem. I think that why Barnes keeps putting him out there. Ability is his issue. He is trying to play SEC basketball with church league talent and length.

VN Store

Back