And all's right in the world

Of course it's a business decision for both parties -- one that makes actual business sense. Do you think all the businesses that Bryce Young will be endorsing for a combined fee of nearly $1,000,000 per year have a reasonable hope of seeing a return on their investment? To the extent that any don't, those endorsement deals aren't business decisions for the business owners at all, but a means of funneling booster money to "amateur" athletes without risking sanctions for those athletes and the schools they play for.

The Pal's deal, by contrast, would have made actual business sense even absent the removal of the old prohibition against student athletes receiving NIL money (they'd simply have had to wait until his collegiate playing career was over to execute the deal). That doesn't make the deal "some majestic noble gesture," but it does make it less corrosive of the ideal of amateurism (whether you hold that ideal in high regard or not).

I don't think what I've written is dissimilar to what David Shaw has said on the subject of NIL deals generally: Stanford coach has questions about Tide QB's NIL deals
Sounds like a lot of assumptions and projecting. Personally, I would need to see some kind of evidence of impropriety before I start declaring that other schools have boosters funneling money to athletes via NIL.

Sounds like a lot of assumptions and projecting.

I'd submit that there's a much sounder basis for doubting that Alabama's backup quarterback is going to generate $1mil+ per year for the businesses he'll endorse than there is for rendering an opinion about the psychology of a stranger who's conceived and expressed that doubt in an internet forum or an interview with the media. In any case, time will tell who's right about this. I sincerely hope you'll be able to revive this thread and make me eat crow.

Reactions: VolOld
I'd submit that there's a much sounder basis for doubting that Alabama's backup quarterback is going to generate $1mil+ per year for the businesses he'll endorse than there is for rendering an opinion about the psychology of a stranger who's conceived and expressed that doubt in an internet forum or an interview with the media. In any case, time will tell who's right about this. I sincerely hope you'll be able to revive this thread and make me eat crow.
I don't really have a horse in this race. I support the NIL policy, and I'm very happy for Fulk. Your first post just comes off as unrealistically romantic and tinted in orange.

Reactions: Delmar
3 hours!?!?

Every In-N-Out I’ve ever been to was just like Chik-fil-a.

Really long lines that move fast because the place operates incredibly efficient. (Likely due to the fact they pay well)

They are new to Colorado, so it's the hype and fad thing. They are good but most diners and dives have better burgers. I don't even know if they have green chili burgers yet.

If I'm going the fast food route: It's hard to beat the $2.99 jalapeno double at Carl's/Hardees.

Of course it's a business decision for both parties -- one that makes actual business sense. Do you think all the businesses that Bryce Young will be endorsing for a combined fee of nearly $1,000,000 per year have a reasonable hope of seeing a return on their investment? To the extent that any don't, those endorsement deals aren't business decisions for the business owners at all, but a means of funneling booster money to "amateur" athletes without risking sanctions for those athletes and the schools they play for.

The Pal's deal, by contrast, would have made actual business sense even absent the removal of the old prohibition against student athletes receiving NIL money (they'd simply have had to wait until his collegiate playing career was over to execute the deal). That doesn't make the deal "some majestic noble gesture," but it does make it less corrosive of the ideal of amateurism (whether you hold that ideal in high regard or not).

I don't think what I've written is dissimilar to what David Shaw has said on the subject of NIL deals generally: Stanford coach has questions about Tide QB's NIL deals

I saw where Fulk toured a milk factory too. Don't know what the terms of that deal is.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Reactions: vegasvolfan
Never heard of Pals. Are they any good?

We (Colorado Springs) are getting In&Out Burger and Whattaburger in town.

In&Out is decent but overhyped and not worth waiting 3 hours for.

I believe Whattaburger is much better. They are still under construction.

Both are real good for localized traffic jams.

I’ve tried In/Out Burger 3 different times, 3 different cities. None were special. Just a dried out, over cooked hamburger. Give me 5 Guys anyway.

I do enjoy a Whataburger occasionally when I’m in Texas. I love their breakfast tacos thou!!!

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I’ve tried In/Out Burger 3 different times, 3 different cities. None were special. Just a dried out, over cooked hamburger. Give me 5 Guys anyway.

I do enjoy a Whataburger occasionally when I’m in Texas. I love their breakfast tacos thou!!!

I also used to like Taco Cabana in Texas. Beer and Tacos!

You aren't missing much

If Pal's has fueled some of Fulkerson's best games, they must be doing something right!

In all seriousness, Fulkerson's the perfect ambassador for them. I live a day's drive away from the nearest Pal's location, and he's had me wanting to eat there ever since he started mentioning it a few years ago.

Reactions: vol66
I am a burger connoisseur. BK, McD, Wendys, Hardees, White Castle, Krystal, Jack In the Box, Red Robin, Sonic, Five Guys, Steak n Shake, Checkers, Fuddruckers, Buc Burgers ... not to mention several brands that are store bought. [And a lot of one offs.]
No, I do not resemble Jim Chaney - thank you very much ...
Pals is my favorite (there was one better, but they went out of business) ... but even Pals gets old. And not all Pals are equal ... yes ... I have eaten at at least 6 different Pals locations right off the top of my head.
Try the Cheddar rounds and a side of ham ... for breakfast.
So, ... Let's Go John!

I am a burger connoisseur. BK, McD, Wendys, Hardees, White Castle, Krystal, Jack In the Box, Red Robin, Sonic, Five Guys, Steak n Shake, Checkers, Fuddruckers, Buc Burgers ... not to mention several brands that are store bought. [And a lot of one offs.]
No, I do not resemble Jim Chaney - thank you very much ...
Pals is my favorite (there was one better, but they went out of business) ... but even Pals gets old. And not all Pals are equal ... yes ... I have eaten at at least 6 different Pals locations right off the top of my head.
Try the Cheddar rounds and a side of ham ... for breakfast.
So, ... Let's Go John!
Five Guys and Fuddruckers, for me, if we're talking chain joints. Littons if we are talking single establishment.

Five Guys and Fuddruckers, for me, if we're talking chain joints. Littons if we are talking single establishment.
Bro I have been living in Knox for the last 15 years, and I still haven't been to Littons. I hear it is truly a great burger, and not in the way people say, for example, Pal's or In & Out is great.

My personal favorite burger is actually from Abridged Brewing. I am a craft beer fan, and theirs is really good, but they could easily just be a burger spot if they choose. Best burger I've had in Knox, and even better than anything I've tried from home hometown of Nashville. I always go in and order whatever the burger of the month is - I don't even look at the menu before ordering. I've never been even slightly disappointed.

Cncchris, don't you live somewhere in KY? How you know about Littons?

Five Guys is my daughter's favorite ... and it is good.
Fuddruckers would be my #2 ... and is also very good.
Never been to Littons ... so I will put that one on the list!!!

Reactions: cncchris33
...My personal favorite burger is actually from Abridged Brewing. ... Best burger I've had in Knox,... I always go in and order whatever the burger of the month is - I don't even look at the menu before ordering. I've never been even slightly disappointed. ...
Good to know. I will add that one to my list as well.

Litton's is overrated, imo. The best hamburger in town, once again, imo, is at the Knoxville Downtown Hilton restaurant/bar. Forgot it's name and although I'm calling it a hamburger, it's a bacon cheeseburger, really

Bro I have been living in Knox for the last 15 years, and I still haven't been to Littons. I hear it is truly a great burger, and not in the way people say, for example, Pal's or In & Out is great.

My personal favorite burger is actually from Abridged Brewing. I am a craft beer fan, and theirs is really good, but they could easily just be a burger spot if they choose. Best burger I've had in Knox, and even better than anything I've tried from home hometown of Nashville. I always go in and order whatever the burger of the month is - I don't even look at the menu before ordering. I've never been even slightly disappointed.

Cncchris, don't you live somewhere in KY? How you know about Littons?
Originally from Knoxville, born and raised. Lived there 30 years. Been in Kentucky for the last 11+ years.

Littons is a bit nostalgic, for me, but also very good when compared to other places I've been around the country. It is appointment eating when I go back to Knoxville.

Another really good Knoxville burger is Bel-Air Grille in Halls.

Reactions: Chris4Vols22
Not sure I'll ever be able to top the jalapeno burger from Poe's Tavern in Charleston, SC; but there are several good spots in Knoxville. I miss the old "We're Cooking" burger and onion rings (same guy owns The Burgers now but it's not quite the same recipe as before).

Originally from Knoxville, born and raised. Lived there 30 years. Been in Kentucky for the last 11+ years.

Littons is a bit nostalgic, for me, but also very good when compared to other places I've been around the country. It is appointment eating when I go back to Knoxville.

Another really good Knoxville burger is Bel-Air Grille in Halls.
Litton’s has an incredible variety of choices, too. Also, to those who haven’t been, it is a MUST to save room for dessert. Amazing cakes and pies. Their Key Lime pie is the best north of Florida.

Not sure I'll ever be able to top the jalapeno burger from Poe's Tavern in Charleston, SC; but there are several good spots in Knoxville. I miss the old "We're Cooking" burger and onion rings (same guy owns The Burgers now but it's not quite the same recipe as before).
Is The Burgers the place in Lenior City off of exit 81? If so, I agree they make an excellent burger

VN Store

Back