Milton QBR

We have the 10th rated QB in the SEC... that said, we need to OL to block better and the receivers to eliminate the drops. I think Joe is our best option and believe if he wasn't the coaches would replace him. Really hope Mays can play this season because we really need a center.

I am still scratching my head at why we don't throw to our Tight ends more often. It's the largest target possible to catch a pass on the field. Forget downfield routes and just go pass the first down marker and post up (turn around). It's the most common play in the NFL..

I read a preseason article that mentioned Hooker and Jacob Warren never got on the same page last year. We should have triple the number of passes to our tight ends than we have so far, so I think it's more our play calling or scheme of the offense we run.

We have three great Tight Ends that can catch. Ethan Davis looked amazing in the Spring game.
Do not need to throw high passes over the middle of the field. Opposing DB’s would have a field day

This. The screen pass is just an extension of our run game honestly. The ball travels to perimeter faster than a defender can and it gives opportunity to get you easy 3-4 or more yards. It also stretches the defenders sideline to sideline creating more running lanes. That is especially helpful when your Oline is not great. Usually on most of these sideline screen passes there is a TE or another WR blocking infront of the intended receiver so if the blocker gets his block correctly, the screen can result in large chunk play.

Yes, it is not a sexy play or an explosive one as we are accustomed to seeing under Huepel but it is an efficient one.
I agree to a point, however, as many as we throw, a good defense is going to have some pic 6's on us.

'

Reactions: Butch s
We have the 10th rated QB in the SEC... that said, we need to OL to block better and the receivers to eliminate the drops. I think Joe is our best option and believe if he wasn't the coaches would replace him. Really hope Mays can play this season because we really need a center.

I hope Mays can play as well, but with the surgery he has had, I don't see how he could be 100% for another 6 weeks.

Reactions: Sarms58
Read this and then cut the 💩
QBR also takes things a step further. While raw expected points added assigns all credit to the quarterback, QBR does not. QBR discounts the credit assigned to the quarterback depending on how incremental the player actually was. For instance, QBR assigns relatively less credit for the play's outcome on screen passes where the receiver does most of the work, and assigns relatively more credit on plays where the quarterback was facing pressure or made a great throw downfield

I'm hoping the stars align and he has some sort of epiphany cause they've made it pretty clear, Nico isn't ready.
For Nico’s sake and the sake of our future, I hope Nico doesn’t have to play - the few snaps he took the other night demonstrated he would get hurt behind our OL.

Reactions: Sarms58
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like in the 2nd half vs FL after we were down by 20+ points with nothing to lose, coach turned Milton loose and allowed him to throw downfield and over the middle during the comeback attempt, and he did pretty good during that time. Then next game the shackles were back on Milton.

Reactions: Midas and Volizona
I would hope.
His QB rating was higher against FL than against APSU. Sort of blows your theory.
Still not very good. So what’s your point. He is 10th rated out of 14. But it’s the entire teams fault right?

Still not very good. So what’s your point. He is 10th rated out of 14. But it’s the entire teams fault right?

Your point is invalid considering the O-Line, Receivers, and the backfield have all struggled so far.

Blaming it all on the QB is just lazy thinking.

Your point is invalid considering the O-Line, Receivers, and the backfield have all struggled so far.

Blaming it all on the QB is just lazy thinking.
You’re one of those who find it trendy to claim that all who see the inept play at QB are some how lazy or ignorant of football and just pick on Milton because it’s easy. How closed minded. The QB is the absolute most important position on the field, generally your team goes as the QB goes. Sorry but ours can’t do this consistently, or at a high level. When you accept and reward mediocrity, that’s what you get

Reactions: TNStudMuffin
What? That's what you took from what I said?
I said that had the recievers caught the balls they should have caught and the line blocked adequately, his QBR would be higher. I can't imagine anyone being ignorant enough to disagree.

Reactions: Behr
What? That's what you took from what I said?
I said that had the recievers caught the balls they should have caught and the line blocked adequately, his QBR would be higher. I can't imagine anyone being ignorant enough to disagree.
Sorry man. I broke my own rule. Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level, and beat you on experience. Congrats..you win

I am still scratching my head at why we don't throw to our Tight ends more often. It's the largest target possible to catch a pass on the field. Forget downfield routes and just go pass the first down marker and post up (turn around). It's the most common play in the NFL..

I read a preseason article that mentioned Hooker and Jacob Warren never got on the same page last year. We should have triple the number of passes to our tight ends than we have so far, so I think it's more our play calling or scheme of the offense we run.

We have three great Tight Ends that can catch. Ethan Davis looked amazing in the Spring game.
I think they’re being asked to block more to help out the shaky oline

Read this and then cut the 💩
QBR also takes things a step further. While raw expected points added assigns all credit to the quarterback, QBR does not. QBR discounts the credit assigned to the quarterback depending on how incremental the player actually was. For instance, QBR assigns relatively less credit for the play's outcome on screen passes where the receiver does most of the work, and assigns relatively more credit on plays where the quarterback was facing pressure or made a great throw downfield
What's the RAW difference??? I also not a fan of the example they used..a pass to a writer on 3rd and 10..that is completed for a 1st down is weighed higher...but if the WR tryst to make a play and get tackled trying to make a play and doesn get the 1st...it goes against the QB for the WR mistake

I would love to blame Joey Hazle for bad play calling but I can't. CJH is calling the plays. I find that very troubling. To say the play calling has been atrocious would not fully describe how bad it really has been. I can't lay all of the blame on Joe Milton or his receivers that play hot potato instead of football. What we are seeing is a failure of four points of the passing game. The play calling; QB play; lack of production from the receiving corps and a band aid O line all feed off of each other to produce garbage. Fortunately, the running backs look awesome. Hopefully once Cooper Mays comes back the line will settle down. That MAY be what could spark the passing game to life. Lets be honest, if we play the bubble screen game against SCar, Milton will have 3+ interceptions based on play calling, not poor play.
Agree 100%. The play calling hasn’t made any sense to me at all. I don’t know if they are keeping it bland and conservative because of Joe or because they somehow think it’s a winning strategy. The Florida offensive game plan was atrocious. It seems like they wanted to play it safe without any urgency or taking any chances at all. 30 years of history against Florida suggests that playing scared / ultra conservative never works. Compare our play calling this year vs the Bama game last year with 20 seconds left. It’s night and day. Yes, Hooker was more accurate than Joe, but come on. You don’t need to handcuff Joe this much. Joe has contributed to our lack of scoring but it’s combined with a poor o line, dropped passes and especially poor play calling.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Lol. QBR is the biggest joke of a stat. Case in point Russell Wilson and Brock Purdy.

Wilson- 23/38 306 1 TD 1 INT QBR- 67.2

Purdy- 25/37 310 2 TDs 0 INTs QBR- 57.9

Case closed.
Agree. They have almost the same completion pct and yards per attempt / yards per completion but Purdy is 2 Tds and 0 picks while Wilson is 1-1. How on earth is Wilson higher? Do they ignore TDS and interceptions?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like in the 2nd half vs FL after we were down by 20+ points with nothing to lose, coach turned Milton loose and allowed him to throw downfield and over the middle during the comeback attempt, and he did pretty good during that time. Then next game the shackles were back on Milton.
Exactly. See previous comments about play calling. Something is off and it doesn’t make sense. Heupel doesn’t seem like the kind of coach who wants to always play it safe and not any chances.

VN Store

Back