Good article about 5 star kids liking Heupel, dislike Saban and the $$$ flow, etc

Interesting article. Takeaways - Payment to 5* probably averages about $300k. Saban and Jimbo seemed to have lost that "we care about other things besides football" touch. Of course Jimbo has 75 million reasons to no longer care. Others can still pull it off, and my actually be sincere - James Franklin, Kirby, Heupel, Norvell, Napier got favorable comments. As for trolling, these recruits do "mess" with fanbases, and I can see how annoying some fans can be to these desirable recruits. Seems to be saying "If you don't quit bugging me, I'll troll you and go somewhere else".

Most of the people they interviewed were down-to-Earth and cared more about relationships with the coaches and their future than NIL.

But then there's the one dude at the end who when asked "what should be different?" was just like "WE NEED MORE MONEY! LOTS MORE MONEY!!!" I LOL'd. If you're making over $50k / year as an 18 year old, it's not "more money" that you need. Most of them don't even know what to do with it yet.

The one thing I will say about NIL --- I bet it makes it easier to weed out the head cases and the kids that don't actually care about football. The guys that will choose 1 school over another because he gets offered $80k at one and $90k at the other is probably the guy you don't want. Or the guy who cares more about seeing a Lambo than who coaches him --- you don't want him. And I mean, I'd love to take a Lambo out for a test drive, but I can't imagine making a decision on a school because of that.

Last edited:
Most of the people they interviewed were down-to-Earth and cared more about relationships with the coaches and their future than NIL.

But then there's the one dude at the end who when asked "what should be different?" was just like "WE NEED MORE MONEY! LOTS MORE MONEY!!!" I LOL'd. If you're making over $50k / year as an 18 year old, it's not "more money" that you need. Most of them don't even know what to do with it yet.

The one thing I will say about NIL --- I bet it makes it easier to weed out the head cases and the kids that don't actually care about football. The guys that will choose 1 school over another because he gets offered $80k at one and $90k at the other is probably the guy you don't want. Or the guy who cares more about seeing a Lambo than who coaches him --- you don't want him. And I mean, I'd love to take a Lambo out for a test drive, but I can't imagine making a decision on a school because of that.
And they will blow all of it unless they have smart parents.

If we can consistently start putting guys in the League as first rounders we’re going to be in great shape. Unfortunately though, No matter what sort of negative things may be said about Saban, he’s helped produce more millionaires than any other coach in football, and that is hard to ignore if you’re a big time recruit,

There are many here who have just assumed that every recruit goes for the top dollar regardless of other things. Thanks for posting this. There's a lot that goes into it.

IMO, Bama's recruiting and quality of talent is a level below what it once was. Still great but not unbeatable like it used to be. Smart and now Heupel and others are reaching guys. Only a matter of time before they can show that other schools are just as good of a launching pad to the NFL as Bama

I feel rather stupid that I fall for so much of their purposeful trolling. That I invest so much emotional energy in 17 year olds attempt at trolling and getting followers.

Also, very interesting the school who offered $40k a month if they committed early. Missouri? What other schools/states can pay before they sign?

NIL IMO just made it easier for the rest of college football to openly do what Bama has been doing all along. Bama and the Bear's son had it down to a fine science.
I believe this is 10000000%. Bama had a closed network of supporters who paid their players.

And I think they and a few others got a blind eye from the NCAA.

You didn't think at all before You typed that did You ?! Next time get a five year old to read it first....in case You're not trying to sound like a failure.
stripes-francis-francis.gif

You didn't think at all before You typed that did You ?! Next time get a five year old to read it first....in case You're not trying to sound like a failure.
LOL Ok Chief. You do know that professional athletes with agents and lawyers and money men around everywhere go broke a couple of years out of the league doncha? But I'm sure an average 18 year old that suddenly finds he 'won the lottery' will fare much better.

They all say it's not about the money until it's about the money. Where I thought NIL would be the real issue dismantling what we love about CFB, I think it's more the portal. Ultimately, the market gets balanced to what universities (I mean NIL collectives), will spend on talent...as we saw comments from players. The easiest thing to modify or regulate in this whole mess is transfer portal rules. Players bouncing has less to do w/ jersey color than the color of money. NO issues w/ them earning what they can, but large roster turnover stuff is nonsense. I'd like to see one no strings transfer and second transfer to sit out a year or use a year of eligibility.

Reactions: swampfoxfan

I had a cousin who was recruited by and played at Campbell in NC. What he cared about, and asked the coach at an official visit, was whether or not his name was going to be on the jersey.

My uncle just about died!

I feel rather stupid that I fall for so much of their purposeful trolling. That I invest so much emotional energy in 17 year olds attempt at trolling and getting followers.

Also, very interesting the school who offered $40k a month if they committed early. Missouri? What other schools/states can pay before they sign?
Missouri was my first thought on that.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Are these really 16, 17 and 18 year olds the conversations are happening with? Some of whom may have never had a job or handled money in their life?

I was impressed by how many mentioned the coaching staff and long term opportunities more than just the money.

I expect there is a certain amount of maturity required to be at the high school all American level and that many of these guys have had a good mentor along the way.

But, having fun trolling the fans shows they are still kids at heart.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
LOL Ok Chief. You do know that professional athletes with agents and lawyers and money men around everywhere go broke a couple of years out of the league doncha? But I'm sure an average 18 year old that suddenly finds he 'won the lottery' will fare much better.
You don't know.....for every one that went broke...a thousand didn't, statically speaking Your comment isn't likely to happen....again, You clearly didn't think this through.

VN Store

Back