The Official #6 [2] Tennessee vs. #3 [1] Purdue Game Thread, 2:20 PM ET, ESPN

Remember when people on this board said they would rather be the 2 in Detroit than the 1 out West because location matters? Lol. It was 90% Purdue fans and we had the tougher draw as the top 2 seed.
No of this matters the story was already written. I'm sorry to be so cynical, but they have let teams play physcal this entire tournament. So in this one game one team suddenly can't stop fouling?

If the fouls are even close to even we win this game! Our star player shot 31 shots and was 3/4 from the line. Their star player shot 21 shots and was 13/22 from the line.

You’re a miserable person. 300+ D1 programs and we are in the top 8.
No actually I am not. I have watched a TON of UT games in all sports - and will continue to do so. And I have watched them choke away a massive amount of opportunities. An elite 8 is great. 2 in program history.

But that does not change the fact that over and over again in their sports program they choke away these chances. Not sure why. But to deny it . . . Is well . . . To be in denial of reality.

Today it was 8 on 5. Refs screwed us. But 3 times UT had a chance to take the lead - even with the awful officiating - and shot bricks on short / makeable / open shots. That’s a choke. No one hates it more than those players. They had chances and made shots.

I guess other fan bases feel the same way and can point to games they feel their favorite team choked away. It’s an emotional end to the year. I hate it most for Coach Barnes. I wanted a final 4 for him - such a good dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Over matched physically. Got pushed around on both ends. He needs about 10 more pounds of muscle to compete with physical big men

Applies to both Aidoo and Estrella. Both also need better hands, esp Estrella on rebounds

IMO, odds are much higher now that Aidoo transfers.* Personally, unless he was under the weather, Barnes should have had him in a couple of more times given TAs foul trouble and JPE youth.

Maybe Aidoo transfers to Purdue and he gains 20 lbs on their Polish food diet

* if you wish this, you'll be one of those crying even more about bigs next year

Yeah, I’m sure he wasn’t happy not playing most of second half. But he played intimidated, imo.

Tobe seems fearless. Estrella played the best he could and gave his all. The same with Estrella.

Estrella should not have been in a position to play the amount of minutes he had to play. He wasn't an offensive factor. You need a player that can pull Edey out to the FT line and Estrella wasn't looking to do it. Either that or we didn't run the sets to get him open. Aidoo had looks, he just didn't make them. Edey was resting on defense.

Reactions: vol94 and I4Vols
It’s a bitter pill to take a loss from a team that doesn’t play “real” basketball. It’s basically….dribble around for a bit and then lob it in the air somewhere near the basket for the enormous guy to turn around and drop the tiny little ball in the basket. I swear it reminds me of U9 basketball when you’ve got some kids who are already a foot taller than others. Just boring, mindless, so easy a caveman can do it, strategy-less basketball.
On defense, he’s only mildly disruptive. I saw him purposely step out of the way many times when our guards drove in to the basket so as to avoid fouls.
Can’t believe of all the amazing and COMPLETE players in this years’ field of elite ones, they do the obvious and give POY to that guy. He has only the faintest athleticism. I mean, what’s his vert? Like, 2 inches?
Perfectly said, it reminded me of youth basketball too. Really a shame for such a hardworking team with true underdog stories on their team to go out to such a style of basketball.

Reactions: Chad Powers
Men's Basketball Championship - Midwest Region - Elite 8

#6 [2] Tennessee Volunteers: 27-8 (14-4 SEC)

GJ4nMPdWEAAl0sN

vs.

#3 [1] Purdue Boilermakers: 32-4 (17-3 B1G)
GJ5AwQjXEAAnj8p

GAME 36 | TENNESSEE vs. PURDUE - Sunday, March 31, 2024 | 2:20 p.m. ET | Detroit, Mich. | Little Caesars Arena (20,332)

Line: UT +3.5
O/U: 147.5

TV: CBS / Watch
Radio: Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM: 84
Online: Paramount+, March Madness Live

Purdue Game Notes

GJ8f6iVXYAAMV6r

Edey is a horse and he will give UCONN trouble in the championship game.

Neither Burns nor Filipowski will be able to contain him.

No of this matters the story was already written. I'm sorry to be so cynical, but they have let teams play physcal this entire tournament. So in this one game one team suddenly can't stop fouling?

If the fouls are even close to even we win this game! Our star player shot 31 shots and was 3/4 from the line. Their star player shot 21 shots and was 13/22 from the line.
True.

Not trying to be difficult but I didn't see Edey fouling a lot. Now I will say some of the foul calls against Tennessee on him were petty.

He literally elbowed and shoved people out of the way and they even had the balls to then call a touch foul on our guys immediately after. The only call they made on him they had to because everyone in the country could see it.

Wish we could get the Stanford big man on campus along with another 6’7 scorer. And if Aidoo transfers i would like to have an athletic big shot blocker.

Estrella should not have been in a position to play the amount of minutes he had to play. He wasn't an offensive factor. You need a player that can pull Edey out to the FT line and Estrella wasn't looking to do it. Either that or we didn't run the sets to get him open. Aidoo had looks, he just didn't make them. Edey was resting on defense.
Would you have played Aidoo more? Something tells me there is more to the story as Aidoo didn’t see the floor after he gave up a couple of rebounds.

No actually I am not. I have watched a TON of UT games in all sports - and will continue to do so. And I have watched them choke away a massive amount of opportunities. An elite 8 is great. 2 in program history.

But that does not change the fact that over and over again in their sports program they choke away these chances. Not sure why. But to deny it . . . Is well . . . To be in denial of reality.

Today it was 8 on 5. Refs screwed us. But 3 times UT had a chance to take the lead - even with the awful officiating - and shot bricks on short / makeable / open shots. That’s a choke. No one hates it more than those players. They had chances and made shots.
Dude , 300+ D1 bball teams with way more parity than in football. Football has like 125 D1 programs. Making it to the E8 is pretty much equal to making it to football playoffs. I’d say it did not end as we wished but you need perspective . Perdue was ranked 1 or 2 most of the season and we were in it to the end and had a chance.

End your misery and stop watching.

Reactions: LSG410EC83
We needed someone besides DK to play real good. JJJ tried early but we forgot about him. Gainey did well in his time & Estrella showed promise again CPOY but everyone else completely struggled.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land

VN Store

Back