2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Struggles against length, but we're awaiting a decision from a 6'9" center. Awakas 6'8". Guess 1 inch makes a....nah. Not gonna say it. Glitch is lurking. I can sense it.
Awaka has no bag tho. So when he’s stuck, he’s STUCK. He attacks the basket and then when the big man takes away the driving lane it’s rough

Awaka has NOT officially entered the portal. As of now, it's just trolls trying to get attention on twitter
Why would he possibly want to leave - he is in a great program and a probable starter - unless college athletics just becomes a pure free agent bidding war, which I sadly realize we are approaching.

Lots of positive chatter around Lanier and St Thomas. Would love to land them both and then maybe Dailey.
Gotta say that should we lose Awaka, Dailey would be a nice get. Dailey is younger and has a bit more offense. Thick, physical youngster. He kinda looks like a cross between Awaka and JJJ.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Agreed! Who’s your current number 1 want trippie?

Dubar or Thomas, leaning more towards Thomas. Great FT shooter, rebounder, plays defense with 1.7 steals per game.

JJJ, but on paper a better scorer.

Dubar and Lanier are obviously both really good players. The ONLY thing I worry about is having 3 guys come in and wanting to be the “guy” and score. Think they all averaged like 16+ppg. So part of me kind of wants just Lanier, and one of Dubar/Thomas, then use the last spot for a multi year guy. I’d be fine with Dailey, if it comes down to it.

Cade Phillips must stay. He has a Fulky type motor. His upside is huge. A few more pounds to bang and learn how to hit a jumper 10 to 12 feet out.
I think both our Freshmen bigs are players who will play a lot in future years. they are mobil seem to be getting better on defense, and can score in the paint. They may be able to score as far as 15 feet out which will help our outside game.

Dubar or Thomas, leaning more towards Thomas. Great FT shooter, rebounder, plays defense with 1.7 steals per game.

Dubar and Lanier are obviously both really good players. The ONLY thing I worry about is having 3 guys come in and wanting to be the “guy” and score. Think they all averaged like 16+ppg. So part of me kind of wants just Lanier, and one of Dubar/Thomas, then use the last spot for a multi year guy. I’d be fine with Dailey, if it comes down to it.
If we can get 2-3 scoring wings willing to buy in and all average 10-15 a night, we will be filthy. Definitely concerned that once we get one, it’ll turn off the others though. Will be interesting to watch and see who the staff tries to get in the board first.

I think ZZ & Aidoo obviously weren’t themselves. For ZZ, his shooting struggles could’ve easily have been a combo of things; Chasing a very quick and exceptional PG around, being under the weather, and playing too many minutes in general. But I personally think his struggles tends to be when he makes poor decisions with his shot selection. Often he takes rushed shots with no one even close to rebounding position and my least favorite is when he (Knecht also) would take unnecessary 3’s early in shot, contested, or very deep when we are up double digits! (see PU or TX games). Miss a few of those and the rim looks smaller. I LOVE the kid and his hustle but I hope he keeps getting smarter with his shot choices.
I think his shooting the 3 was definitely a result of tired legs. Almost all his misses were short and tired legs cause that to happen. His shot also appeared to be flatter than normal which could also be from tired legs.

I thought that too. I see Aaron Scott on the list and he played alongside good scorers at North Texas. Scott doesn't NEED to have the ball in his hands and score but he's a good defender. So a guy like that would make it work to pair with two good capable scorers. (SG) Lanier & one of the versatile wing guys. And we can play some positionless basketball with guys like that. Like we've seen with JuJu, JJJ, Mashack etc.

Also I don't see us getting three seniors in the portal: I see maybe two seniors & deff at least one guy with eligibility left. We will already be having Zeigler, Mashack, Aidoo & Gainey in their last years next season. The year after next season only Awaka will be a senior. I'm thinking they add some multi year guys - but definitely not all three portal guys will be offensive minded.

VN Store

Back