Recruiting Football Talk VII

Color me naive, but I am inclined to give a team and coach that made it to the elite 8, that showcased the greatest portal transfer success EVER, and retained JJJ even with out a scholarship (thanks to NIL) to manage through this portal season.
But…but…but you’re talking sense :eek:

Reactions: DD4ME
If he wants to be closer to home. Understand.

If he wants more NIL, but Spyre doesnt see it. I get it.

He is a player, and frankly shouldve been playing more, period.

Also, the Freshman big really impressed. I dont think its that big a loss knowing that.
You have to get help at G and C tho.
If the Deacon believed he needed to play more he would have played him more. Is it your intention to call out the man responsible for how much he played, because that's exactly what you're doing. Seriously, I'm just curious why people say things like this. It would never enter my head to suggest that Coach Barnes, HoF nominee and best coach in UT's history, is misusing his roster.

Not only no...but hell no. They are indeed great, a really well rounded and balanced team playing in a badly watered down era.

There are teams from back in the day that didn't even win the NC that would have stomped a hole in this squad...and I have been one of the loudest proclaiming how good they are this year.
Absolutely, basketball in general hit its peak in the 80's. Player's games were much more well rounded. I blame the three-point line for much of that and the fact that the best players rarely exhaust their eligibility.

I agree.

Again, this misses the point of what I actually said. Not saying it's accurate or worthwhile. I'm saying it's a major sign of respect for the program that so many ranking sites expect us to start Top 10 regardless.
I agree with that, at least we have name recognition. That is about all that can be taken from that.

Man has to suck to do all that work to find great players under the radar and then soon as you get them developed into potential starters they just leave you...

Is what it is, I admire the hell out of our players that have stuck it out here for the long haul even more in this new age of "grass is always greener" mentality that NIL & free transfers has created.

Not gonna lie, Volnation has never been the same since we didn't hire John Gruden.
Good times, good times.

giphy.gif
Screenshot_20240409_140255_DuckDuckGo.jpg

*Those threads were awesome and I enjoyed them immensely but I hope we never have another "Gruden Thread" again. I want Heupel to stay as long as possible. GBO

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see where Awaka lands...if I'm him I'd be heading to Providence. English is probably very similar to Barnes, he probably steps into a starting role immediately looking at their roster and it's close to NY.
Yeah also heard Pitino (St. John's) had reached to him. That was before he was officially in the portal lol

Reactions: Volunteer821

VN Store

Back