2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had respect for some of these supposed “sources” but this is the definition of going out sad. I would not be surprised at all if some of them as we speak are in the current players ears pushing them to enter the portal. Seems like them want the program to hit rock bottom since the changes have been made and they have personal ties to people that are no longer part of the program.
This is a tough business. Not for the faint of heart. But you can not take it personal or make it personal.
Coach Caldwell had nothing to do with the decision. She earned the opportunity, so even if this has caused some animosity against UT there is no reason to go after the new coach.

Reactions: mcannon1
White folk should always be a little careful about invoking MLK quotes that were describing the Jim Crow south of 1960s.

I work in higher ed
and representation matters a lot to students of color. If an institution has few or no individuals who "look like them", which means having some shared experiences, these students feel like interlopers who don't belong.

Given that, tt would not be a bad idea to have a highly qualified POC coach on the staff. There are many out there. Let's be honest, before the Danny White hired CKC, the mantra had "I don't care if it was a man or woman, I just WANT THE BEST QUALIFIED." Everyone now says trust in Danny White, he knows what he is doing in hiring CKC.

I am down with that but it alsi means "best qualified" person to be the LV's head coach was a women with one year D! experience at Marshall, Not sure that was on anyone's bingo card when Kellie was fired.

Point is, "best qualified" is not set some finite set of objective properties that are set in stone and brought down from the mount. A coach having life and cultural experiences which are very important to many recruits is a qualifying, but certainly not the only, qualifying asset.

Your not-so-subtle attempt to herd me into the Jim Crow south fan club should fall beneath your higher education level.

Reactions: Voluble2
Your not-so-subtle attempt to herd me into the Jim Crow south fan club should fall beneath your higher education level.
Krich, not my intent at all. The simple fact is that people now commonly take MLK quotes out of their historical context when talking about contemporary issues of representation and diversity, often using them as an argument against such considerations.

If interested, a good discussion of this issue, including the thoughts of MLK's children can be found in this link:

MLK's "content of character" quote inspires debate

Last edited:
Congrats to Teonni. I'm kinda surprised by this, but if she wants to be a Wildcat, good for her.

I hope she has a nice season, also a little surprised to see her go there but did not feel she would consider UT after Kellie was let go.

My hope for Teonni is that we see her play up to her HS ranking before she leaves college. She was a highly rated recruit but just has not gotten the minutes or stability to show what she can offer at the college level.

All this little portal news has been cute up until now. The moment Tennessee officially announces the coaching staff and the upcoming visits schedule gets released just know it’s “scary hours!”

Lets gooo!

She does have a very distinguished air about her. I typically hate discussing looks of our coaches, but she’s by far the best looking (man or woman) of any of them.

I didn’t want to wade into this because diversity talk is so fraught these days despite there being numerous dimensions across which one could be diverse. But I would love for Coach Joy to stick around.
She is a head coach now. So, onward and upward!!

Point is, "best qualified" is not set some finite set of objective properties that are set in stone and brought down from the mount. A coach having life and cultural experiences which are very important to many recruits is a qualifying, but certainly not the only, qualifying asset.
I can agree with this part of your statement.

All this little portal news has been cute up until now. The moment Tennessee officially announces the coaching staff and the upcoming visits schedule gets released just know it’s “scary hours!”

Lets gooo!
We still need one more assistant? And just bc the kids visit doesn’t mean they commit. So we can’t really say scary hours just yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back