2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I agree. That's why I am still hoping that we get Tyson. I don't think you can have too many guys that can go get a basket when you really need one. Let them compete. CRB and staff will figure it our. We just need the guys that will get after it! The defense is going to be there! Barnes won't have it any other way. We just need those guys that can score to build the MO!
While I wouldn't turn him away, I think Lanier is a better fit and bigger need. I see Lanier as being a guard who can not only score, but he's reported to be good enough to run the point if needed. If we don't get him, I shudder to think about having only Gainey and Mashack to handle the ball. For all the recruiting and portal workings, we still have ZZ and not much else at the PG position. Our lone recruit is 6'4" I think. While that's not a bad thing, he's reportedly not ready to help us for a year or so. Depth at point is, for me, a real hole in this roster.

Reactions: Namorto1
It's probably not even trade, but yet to be seen. Okpara brings rebounding and rim protection lost by Aidoo and Awaka. He'll provide a modest scoring pop under the basket but isn't a threat outside 3-4 feet, really. Milicic brings range and an ability to shoot from the 3-pt line and in, but isn't going to be a post scorer. On the whole, I'd call it a statistical wash, at best, until we see them play in this system.

Per 40 numbers...
Okpara 11.2 pts, 10.9 rebs, 4.0 blks
Milicic 15.9 pts, 10.5 rebs, 2.4 blks

Aidoo 18.4 pts, 11.8 rebs, 3.0 blks
Awaka 15.6 pts, 14.0 rebs, 1.9 blks

So, I'd call that taking a hit in the scoring department, a hit in the rebounding department, and a jump in rim protection, but that's without factoring in things like fit. We didn't play Aidoo and Awaka together very much where we should be able to play Okpara and Milicic together. Aidoo and Awaka would never reach those per 40 minute numbers because they were generally each other's subs. Okpara and Milicic can coexist more easily on the floor together, so they are more likely to approach those numbers.

I think we gain a little versatility with our new additions because they play two different positions where Aidoo and Awaka were more likely to split time at the 5.

Aidoo isn’t sniffing 18ppg and Awaka will never sniff 15/14.

At least Okpara and Milicic have per40s that could actually happen.

Reactions: DarthVol1
It's probably not even trade, but yet to be seen. Okpara brings rebounding and rim protection lost by Aidoo and Awaka. He'll provide a modest scoring pop under the basket but isn't a threat outside 3-4 feet, really. Milicic brings range and an ability to shoot from the 3-pt line and in, but isn't going to be a post scorer. On the whole, I'd call it a statistical wash, at best, until we see them play in this system.

Per 40 numbers...

So, I'd call that taking a hit in the scoring department, a hit in the rebounding department, and a jump in rim protection, but that's without factoring in things like fit. We didn't play Aidoo and Awaka together very much where we should be able to play Okpara and Milicic together. Aidoo and Awaka would never reach those per 40 minute numbers because they were generally each other's subs. Okpara and Milicic can coexist more easily on the floor together, so they are more likely to approach those numbers.

I think we gain a little versatility with our new additions because they play two different positions where Aidoo and Awaka were more likely to split time at the 5.
Just can't really take the "per 40 numbers" too seriously. Requires a bit too much speculation from me. Aidoo never did impress me as a guy who would ball out for 30 min much less 40. Awaka? Well, his fouls almost doubled this year with only one more game. So how could I expect him to suddenly be capable of staying on the floor for 30 min much less 40? Speculation is fine and well, but I tend to look at history. Aidoo and Awaka's numbers stand on their own for me. I'll take the guys we're after in the portal and wish both Aidoo and Awaka well at their new homes. Hope they prove me wrong, but for better or worse, I'm ready for change.

Just can't really take the "per 40 numbers" too seriously. Requires a bit too much speculation from me. Aidoo never did impress me as a guy who would ball out for 30 min much less 40. Awaka? Well, his fouls almost doubled this year with only one more game. So how could I expect him to suddenly be capable of staying on the floor for 30 min much less 40? Speculation is fine and well, but I tend to look at history. Aidoo and Awaka's numbers stand on their own for me. I'll take the guys we're after in the portal and wish both Aidoo and Awaka well at their new homes. Hope they prove me wrong, but for better or worse, I'm ready for change.
Per 40 is stupid as ****.

Too many on here live and die by it.

Reactions: CAVPUT
The more I think about it, the more I want Anderson.

If we finish with Igor, Okpara, Lanier, and Dubar then I’m fine with passing on Cade and taking Anderson, just because after last year I feel like someone may transfer out like Ledlum did, guess it’s the scared vol syndrome in me, but if that happens, that’s just more minutes for the younger guys like Carr, JP and perhaps Anderson.
Assuming Cade doesn't come - We need a guy like Anderson. Somebody that is willing to come in with the expectation of little to no minutes in year one. We're pretty much at a 8-9 man rotation already.

ZZ Gainey (I'm just assuming he plays here mostly as Boswell likely won't get much run)
Lanier Carr
Mashack
Igor Dubar Cade
Okpara JP

Aidoo isn’t sniffing 18ppg and Awaka will never sniff 15/14.

At least Okpara and Milicic have per40s that could actually happen.
I understand most are in the pump up the new guys mode and downgrade the departures a bit. IMO, Awaka has a huge upside that we will miss. With more PT and eliminating 1 dumb foul per game I think he could easily average 15/10. He’s a bull with strength not commonly seen on the court. He’s had rebounding since he walked on campus. His post work and free throws have steadily improved. I think there’s a good chance if he knew he was going to get 25+ minutes every game that he could quit trying to make too much happen which led to some of those fouls. JMO, TIFWIW, AARP

Assuming Cade doesn't come - We need a guy like Anderson. Somebody that is willing to come in with the expectation of little to no minutes in year one. We're pretty much at a 8-9 man rotation already.

ZZ Gainey (I'm just assuming he plays here mostly as Boswell likely won't get much run)
Lanier Carr
Mashack
Igor Dubar Cade
Okpara JP
Boswell and Phillips should red shirt

Per 40 is stupid as ****.

Too many on here live and die by it. Oh so and so shoots this % with a jelly bean in his ear and defender doing jumping jacks, like where do you get this stupid **** from
Don't be so obtuse. The meaning of the stat is not to suggest that if they played 40 minutes, this is automatically what they would do.

It is a means of drawing parallels to player impact during the time they play by equalizing their output across an even number of minutes. Aidoo, Awaka, Okpara and Milicic all played different number of minutes, so comparing their impact using their individual minutes played doesn't always yield an accurate picture because of the variance, especially across 4 different player samples.

Maybe try understanding the statistic itself before raging against it like an angsty teenager.

I understand most are in the pump up the new guys mode and downgrade the departures a bit. IMO, Awaka has a huge upside that we will miss. With more PT and eliminating 1 dumb foul per game I think he could easily average 15/10. He’s a bull with strength not commonly seen on the court. He’s had rebounding since he walked on campus. His post work and free throws have steadily improved. I think there’s a good chance if he knew he was going to get 25+ minutes every game that he could quit trying to make too much happen which led to some of those fouls. JMO, TIFWIW, AARP
I agree. I'm still a believer that Aidoo will pop somewhere in a more pro system.

We all loved Tobe. Just never quite got to show it for full-games, which is sad, as he had the makings of a great Barnes player. Tough, rebounded, physical, etc.

Reactions: walkenvol

It has nothing to do with pumping up the new guys and downgrading the guys that left.

I’m telling you the truth. Until someone’s give me legit proof that he is going to average that then don’t bother replying about it. I’m tired of hearing “oh he’s a big bodied hustler”

Oscar averaged those numbers his JR and SR year. Awaka isn’t even close to that.

No one expects any of these guys to literally play 40 minutes. That's not the point of the statistic. Good grief, people.

Don't be so obtuse. The meaning of the stat is not to suggest that if they played 40 minutes, this is automatically what they would do.

It is a means of drawing parallels to player impact during the time they play by equalizing their output across an even number of minutes. Aidoo, Awaka, Okpara and Milicic all played different number of minutes, so comparing their impact using their individual minutes played doesn't always yield an accurate picture because of the variance, especially across 4 different player samples.

Maybe try understanding the statistic itself before raging against it like an angsty teenager.

All those stats lack context. That’s what I’m saying

Why are you getting mad like a child? Throwing insults? Who’s the real child?

No one expects any of these guys to literally play 40 minutes. That's not the point of the statistic. Good grief, people.
Then quit posting them. Tf lol

Show context of why they are a “wash”

Send me some film of why they are a “wash”

You’re literally throwing per 40 numbers up and saying they are a wash.

Boswell and Phillips should red shirt
Likely for both. Cade will likely be faded out by conference w/o an injury somewhere.

We could take a 2 or 3 still, but for the culture of the team, I still think Mashack needs to start somewhere (assuming he's playing well enough to earn it). He's put his time and work in.

Reactions: walkenvol
The more I think about it, the more I want Anderson.

If we finish with Igor, Okpara, Lanier, and Dubar then I’m fine with passing on Cade and taking Anderson, just because after last year I feel like someone may transfer out like Ledlum did, guess it’s the scared vol syndrome in me, but if that happens, that’s just more minutes for the younger guys like Carr, JP and perhaps Anderson.
Anderson and that center that they found somewhere are 2 projects that will replace Dillion and Jefferson at the end of the bench. They'll get their time in practice to show if they're going to become contributors, but I'm not expecting them to be on the roster in a year or two. For me, I want Lanier and Igor to round out this portal haul. I know positions don't really matter in today's game, but I see us with Carr, Dubar, Tyson and maybe Mashack all falling into a similar category position wise. What I don't see is a real 2 "guard". Lanier is, to my untrained eye, that kind of player. Plus, and I'm gonna harp on it again, he reportedly can run the point if needed. No offense to Gainey or Mashack, but while they can provide some rest at the point for ZZ, I don't want them to have to BE the PG in the case of emergency. Plus, Gainey is so streaky and we really don't know how much progress Mashack will make offensively with his shot. If it's a choice between Tyson and Lanier for the final spot with Igor, I'm casting my vote for Lanier. I think he fills a hole and provides us with options at the PG when ZZ isn't in the game. He's my "must get" recruit from the portal moreso than Tyson....and no, I don't see us getting both.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
Basilio just said on his show that Lanier did not have a Do Not Contact tag and that he's concerned that Maryland (maybe others) to get involved and turn this into a bidding war.

That seems to be contrary to everything else we are hearing, and also contradicts the idea he has been saying that Lanier would enter with a tag.

Do not contact tag generally means that an agent of sorts, is handling everything. There is a bidding war no matter what.

Also I think Tyson and Dubar are similar so if we don't get Tyson it wouldn't be the end of the world imo.

1714139105442.png

Chaz would be a wildcard/different type of addition and I think a bigger impact. I also think Igor is a unique add... so those 2 are more important additions than Tyson imo.

It has nothing to do with pumping up the new guys and downgrading the guys that left.

I’m telling you the truth. Until someone’s give me legit proof that he is going to average that then don’t bother replying about it. I’m tired of hearing “oh he’s a big bodied hustler”

Oscar averaged those numbers his JR and SR year. Awaka isn’t even close to that.
Good Lord man - figure out the difference between truth and opinion.

Reactions: berryvol

Per 40 numbers...

In a perfect world Awaka would be an elite beast like his per 40 suggest... BUUUUUT you have to also point out that his per 40 would have him at 7.6 fouls a game too.

And that's the only 1 of the 4 that is over 5. Okpara would be at 4.9, Aidoo 3.5 and Milicic at 3.1

I think Lanier + Dubar + Milicic can come pretty close to replicating the offense of Knecht + JJJ + Vescovi. Obviously none of the 3 new guys will score 21 points a game but I think maybe one of them can get 14 points a game and probably none of them as low as 6.3 from vescovi this past season.
Don’t count out Carr. That guy is a superstar in waiting.

A better way to look at it is this imo, last year your 4/5’s essentially were:

JJJ: 29.2mpg 8.4ppg 6.4rpg 0.6bpg
Aidoo: 24.7mpg 11.4ppg 7.3rpg 1.8bpg
Awaka: 13.1mpg 5.1ppg 4.6rpg 0.6bpg
Total: 67mins 24.9ppg 49.2%FG 33.3%3ptFG 18.3rpg 3.0bpg

Next year we expect it to be:
Dubar: 34.6mpg 17.8ppg 53.9%FG 39.9%3ptFG 6.8rpg 0.9bpg
Milicic: 32.2mpg 12.8ppg 48.7%FG 37.6%3ptFG 8.5rpg 1.1bpg
Estrella: 5.0mpg 1.6ppg 66.7%FG 0.8rpg 0.3bpg
Okpara: 23.5mpg 6.6ppg 58.6%FG 6.4rpg 2.4bpg
Total: 95.3mpg 38.8ppg 22.5rpg 4.7bpg
Averaged to 67mpg: 27.3ppg 15.8rpg 3.3bpg

So I think it’s fair, and this is without improvements from any of those 4, that we could see a much more efficient and better scoring front court, similar rebounding, and better rim protection. Also a much more versatile 4 man who should be able to stretch the floor better than we were able to last year.

VN Store

Back