Unofficial Coaching Search Thread

Unimane

Obviously, I was never on the Martin Train, as my posting history suggests, so today is a positive day for UT basketball as we have the opportunity to hire a guy who built the Pitt program and took UCLA to three Final Fours just sitting there waiting to be snatched in Ben Howland (This thread can be amended to Gregg Marshall, as well, if we decide to go that fortuitous route.).

Otherwise, we may be looking at a couple of mid-major guys, like the S. Miss and LA Tech coaches, maybe even the younger Miller brother at Dayton. OK, but we have a great chance here, let's hope the AD recognizes this. They are officially on watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Lord knows how long this might drag out. Here's a catch-all thread for search-related discussion.

At this point I think most are hoping for either Gregg Marshall or Ben Howland.

I think someone like Michael White from Louisiana Tech is more likely.

Reactions: 1 person
Two people Tennessee could get are:

1)Steve Robinson UNC Assistant Coach
2)Ron Turner Georgia State Head Coach(25-9 record)

Why not? Raleigh to Serrano....upgrade. Dooley to butch.....upgrade. Next is basketball. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Reactions: 13 people
As long as it's not a guy with almost no experience, no NCAA tourney at any level, and no proven ability to recruit, I think we'll be okay.

We've just saw what kind of shape your program gets in when you hire one of those kind of coaches.

Reactions: 3 people
I watched LA Tech a few times this year and was impressed with White. Don't know that much about his background, but if we are going the mid-major route, which history seems to indicate we will, then he is worth a look IMO. Total opposite style from CCM.

Jesus H. Christ wont take the job, he knows that miracles on a nightly basis would make Vol fans mad and start a petition for his removal. So he took his name out of the hat and is looking to go to NY Knicks where they need divine intervention.

Reactions: 7 people
Great - suggestions for more wannabes. Spend the money to hire a proven guy and let the money take care of its self by winning at a higher level annually.

Wishful thinking hires:
1. Smart - back up the Brinks truck and see if you can get lucky. As I've repeatedly said on here, VCU cannot be his dream job.
2. Marshall - just don't see UT spending the money to make it happen.

Somewhat realistic options:
1. Howland - no buyout and has a track record of success at a high level. However, there is a reason he is still jobless.

Realistic options:
1. Michael White - LA Tech.
2. Rick Byrd - Belmont. UT alumnus.
3. Lawrence Frank.
4. Another mid-major. That's been our last 3 hires and will probably be again.

Man I ain't neva understood all this hate headed at Hart. you mad cause he ain't get Gruden? grow up. I'm happy wit what he done since he been here. Goin miss Zo but let the Hitman go to work. We goin be fine

Great - suggestions for more wannabes. Spend the money to hire a proven guy and let the money take care of its self by winning at a higher level annually.

ZERO recent track record for this. Last 3 hires have all been mid-majors.

VN Store

Back