Three basketball coaches have left

hillbilly

O'Neil, Green, and Martin all left the Tennessee basketball job. Is there another program with this type of luck?

It's hard to get much luckier. Although, I wish we had that kind of luck when we made hires!
Exactly.

The only one of the three I remember fans being somewhat upset over leaving was O'Neil.

Last edited:
Don't have to worry about this one ever leaving. He is making $600,000 but is a national coach of the year in the past. 60 years old and will retire at Tennessee.
BELMONT MEN'S BASKETBALL PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS

Six NCAA Tournament Appearances (2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013)
12 conference championships (six regular season, six tournament) since 2006 - second-most in nation (Kansas, 14)
One of three programs (Kansas, Memphis) to earn automatic bid to NCAA Tournament six of the last eight seasons
One of four NCAA Division I-AAA (non-football) program to reach NCAA Tournament six of the last eight seasons (Gonzaga, Marquette, Xavier)
One of only two programs (Kansas) to win 12 or more conference games in each of the last 11 seasons
Leads the nation with 179 conference victories (includes tournament) since 2003
Program-best #24 Final RPI in 2012-13
National top 25 poll votes in each of the last three seasons
Led nation in scoring margin in 2010-11 (+17.5)
Third nationally in winning percentage (73-16, .820) in the months of February, March and April the last eight seasons (Memphis .840, Kansas .829)
57-5 in last 62 conference games

Reactions: 2 people
Don't have to worry about this one ever leaving. He is making $600,000 but is a national coach of the year in the past. 60 years old and will retire at Tennessee.

12 conference championships (six regular season, six tournament) since 2006 - second-most in nation (Kansas, 14)
One of three programs (Kansas, Memphis) to earn automatic bid to NCAA Tournament six of the last eight seasons
One of four NCAA Division I-AAA (non-football) program to reach NCAA Tournament six of the last eight seasons (Gonzaga, Marquette, Xavier)
One of only two programs (Kansas) to win 12 or more conference games in each of the last 11 seasons
Third nationally in winning percentage (73-16, .820) in the months of February, March and April the last eight seasons (Memphis .840, Kansas .829)

Impressive stats, no doubt. But can he do all of that, fill up the Tommy Bowl & increase popcorn sales as well??

He's been at Belmont since the mid 80's...He's not going anywhere.

Rick Byrd would come here in a heartbeat if offered.

Don't you find it odd that he's been there all those years and nobody has tried to snap him up?
14wvgo6.gif

Reactions: 2 people
O'Neill was 36-47, without a single winning season. He was even worse at his next gig at N'Western going 30-56. He was pretty much run out at Arizona when he took over for Lute Olsen. Then, he went to USC where he was 45-61. So far as I can tell, he's never been good anywhere other than two seasons at Marquette.

O'Neill was 36-47, without a single winning season. He was even worse at his next gig at N'Western going 30-56. He was pretty much run out at Arizona when he took over for Lute Olsen. Then, he went to USC where he was 45-61. So far as I can tell, he's never been good anywhere other than two seasons at Marquette.

Continual use of negative reinforcement to motivate players zaps their confidence.

He's proven beyond a shadow of doubt that he's a loser, but inexplicably some still argue he's great.
:crazy:

Exactly.

The only one of the three I remember fans being somewhat upset over leaving was O'Neil.

Jerry Green went to 4 straight NCAA tournaments. Kevin Oniell had the most boring brand of basketball ever at tennessee.

Nobody could have won with the depleted roster that O'Neil inherited. Unlike his other gigs, Kevin actually recruited so well for the Vols that an inept coach like Jerry Green could win. Those Jerry Green teams were some of the most loaded rosters we ever had.

Reactions: 1 person
Kevin was rebuilding a program left for dead after 5 years of Wade Houston. The fans seemed to appreciate his fire and he was bringing in good talent

Didn't he get dismissed for having an affair with a secretary??
Seems like we lined up UTC's hotshot coach to replace him but then he admitted a similar affair and disappeared so then Green was hired. His teams won but also underperformed in big games (like the collapse against UNC) it was like he let the players just do what they wanted and it looked like playground basketball with no organization - plus his attitude ticked off everyone

VN Store

Back