Dave Hart

BigBadVol

The MojoMofo
I know I am going to get blasted for this but I don't care. DH has been nothing but spectacular since taking over. I have found too many on here that say "it was luck" when things go right and "it's all his fault" when things don't work out as planned concerning DH' s decisions. It's ludicrous. We are once again in the black concerning finances. We have CBJ. We are going after a solid hire in BB. Things are turning around for UT athletics. DH gets a huge amount of credit. Now the naysayers will blast me with things that are not relevant. Go ahead.

Reactions: 43 people
I know I am going to get blasted for this but I don't care. DH has been nothing but spectacular since taking over. I have found too many on here that say "it was luck" when things go right and "it's all his fault" when things don't work out as planned concerning DH' s decisions. It's ludicrous. We are once again in the black concerning finances. We have CBJ. We are going after a solid hire in BB. Things are turning around for UT athletics. DH gets a huge amount of credit. Now the naysayers will blast me with things that are not relevant. Go ahead.

I agree. No need to get blasted, but you will by some. Take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 6 people

You are correct my friend! Frankly, I am surprised someone of his caliber would come to Tennessee and work for Cheek! So far, he has my support!

Reactions: 6 people

Dave is that you? You silly guy.

Reactions: 8 people
People apparently think we can't succeed unless we offer someone with far less of a resume, Billy Donovan money.

Just like in football, good coaches almost never leave their school and are rarely every available on the open market.

Some schools luck into a guy returning from the NBA or NFL or they luck into someone on the road back from a scandal of some kind.

Most hires in all major sports are unproven guys that you hope works out for you in the long haul.

Reactions: 4 people
I have found in life, it is those who have accomplished so little in life, that complain the most,

Because that is where 90% of their energy goes.

Instead of finding the solution, they become the major contributor to the problem.

Reactions: 3 people

He's a 1000% upgrade over Hamilton that's for sure.

Reactions: 8 people
Ask me what I think after we hire a basketball coach, so far he has made 1 hire.

And then, there are others that think that the only job an AD has is to hire Coaches. Shallow think?

They fail to look deep enough into it to know that they only make a recommendation and never have total control over the hire.

Some think that the AD job is managed by exception.

I would bet money that Dave Hart wished that was his only responsibility as an Athletic Director was to hire and fire Coaches. If it was he would go to the Zoo every day.

If White is hired which you agree with and he doesn't work out down the road are you going to call it a bad hire down the road or are you going to call it a bad hire now or call it a good hire and keep it that way. Or are you going to say we could have hired somebody else.

Last edited:
Some schools luck into a guy returning from the NBA or NFL or they luck into someone on the road back from a scandal of some kind.
Well, we had this opportunity knocking on our door in the name of Ben Howland!
But if White is the guy, I will be behind him 100%. I just thought Ben Howland was more of a sure thing and would have been an indicator that Tennessee was really, really serious about climbing to the top in BB. But White has winner written all over him. Just hope it translates from smaller conference success to SEC and NCAA tourney success.

Reactions: 2 people
But if White is the guy, I will be behind him 100%. I just thought Ben Howland was more of a sure thing and would have been an indicator that Tennessee was really, really serious about climbing to the top in BB. But White has winner written all over him. Just hope it translates from smaller conference success to SEC and NCAA tourney success.

There has got to be something we don't know about Howland. It will be interesting if White does not accept the job and we go yet to another candidate other than Howland.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

To me, that shows just how much the cloud around Ben Howland darkens his job opportunity. I can't believe a guy with 3 final fours could set on the sidelines through multiple coaching searches when he seems to consistently offer his services.

I don't think he's asking for huge money either. Howland was making 2 million per season when he was fired at UCLA.

You are right. Plus he got us a Nike deal. And helped get us the football game at Bristol. He had had a lot of mess to clean up, which was left over from the previous AD.

This is from Pat Forde's column last year when Howland and Tubby were fired and he was defending those schools for firing them at a time when most national media was ripping them. Ironic how he changed that view of things..but anyway.

Divide Howland's 10-year UCLA tenure into two periods and you see a major dropoff: the first six seasons were Camelot; the last four were Losealot. The Bruins had three 30-win seasons and four top-12 Pomeroy Ratings in those first six; they averaged 13 losses per season and were no higher than 43rd in the Pomeroy Ratings in the last four. For a school with UCLA's traditions and aspirations, that's trending the wrong way.

Hart's biggest moves so far are firing Doolander, hiring Jones, combining athletic departments to reduce waste and landing the Nike deal.

His deal for Zo was actually an excellent one to protect the Vols and Zo seemed to see the writing on that wall and bolted.

So I'd say he's doing a solid job.

Reactions: 4 people
Hart's biggest moves so far are firing Doolander, hiring Jones, combining athletic departments to reduce waste and landing the Nike deal.

His deal for Zo was actually an excellent one to protect the Vols and Zo seemed to see the writing on that wall and bolted.

So I'd say he's doing a solid job.

He's doing ok, I'm not calling for his head or anything like some. Wasn't a fan of how long the football coaching search dragged out, especially given that he should've had a good idea months ahead of time a move was coming.

If whites the guy I'll feel better, if he turns us down and we end up with Will Wade my confidence will drop significantly.

I'll take it a step further. The only thing more irrational than the hate Dave Hart gets is the hate Jimmy Cheek gets.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back