WATE reporting TSR to shut down

PotS

You can't say f orum here
SIAP

Tennessee Sports Radio to shut down, 2 new radio stations to lau

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - The owners of Tennessee Sports Radio announced Monday the station will cease broadcasting next month to make room for one of two new radio stations.

Tennessee Sports Radio has operated for the past four years on 1180 AM, the former frequency of ESPN Radio. Personalities include Erik Ainge, Jayson Swain, Dave Hooker and Steve Phillips.

General Manger Jason Bailey and a team of former University of Tennessee athletes, sports journalists and contributing writers also distributed sport news and entertainment online through a popular website and smartphone app.

"We wanted to engage our audience," Bailey said in a release Monday. "We set Tennessee Sports Radio up in a way that was unlike any other radio station in Knoxville. We were ahead of our time, and our listeners and advertisers loved it and responded to it. We had a great four-year run and we raised the bar for sports radio in East Tennessee. Everyone involved with Tennessee Sports Radio should be proud of what they accomplished."

Oskie Media, LLC says it analyzed the Knoxville market for the past seven months to determined what Knoxville listeners want and what the market lacks. They say that research showed the need for two formats unique to the market.
One of those two new stations will launch August 29 on Tennessee Sports Radio's current frequency. The other will launch at a later date on 1120 AM. The details of those new stations have not yet been released.

Alabama Crimson Tide Radio and Florida Gators radio to replace TSR

knocked-out-cold.gif

Reactions: 11 people
you could see it coming. it was ran so poorly.

Yes, I agree! Jay Bay should have spent more time running his business rather than running his mouth on the Ainge show.

I quit listening altogether except for Swain's show. Hopefully Swain will land a new gig somewhere else in Knoxville radio.

Reactions: 15 people
Well, maybe it wasn't the best, but it was good enough to listen to during the morning run and on the weekend. It was easy to use by just clicking on the app. I just don't like listening to music all that much, so I have listened to TSR every morning for the past year or so, and I hate to see it go. Down here in the Chatt area, there is nothing. Mike and Mike on ESPN, but you will never hear talk of UT or whats going on at UT, any college football talk is either about Notre Dame, or USC, and of course bama. Oh well...

Reactions: 3 people
Say what you want about the juvenile talk on TSR, but I still listen regularly for UT Sports talk. Can't believe this leaves us with the Sports Animal as the only alternative going into football season.

Reactions: 2 people
That means I don't have to hear "For What" again or Seth Stokes. I liked Swain and Treece

Swain replied to someone on Twitter
Jayson Swain @JaysonSwain · 31m
@leecrowe I'm good. Forwhat is not going anywhere.

Sorry....

That said I would listen all the time, then it got old in the off season....now with the season coming up I will be lost. Here's to hoping for something listenable in the near future!

Reactions: 1 person
I hate it for the employees, but JayBay's comments are so delusional. "Before their time?"

10 minutes of content and 12 minutes of commercials is not a recipe for success. Neither is putting himself and Seth Stokes on air.

Reactions: 13 people
Being outside of Knoxville this is a killer for me. Like him or not, EA has some really good segments when he breaks the game down. Dude knows football.

Any good Vols podcasts anyone would recommend? I listened to the Rocky Top Talk podcast last year.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back