Question about OL Austin Sanders

Brave Volunteer

I didn't hear much about him at all in spring. I realize he is just a redshirt freshman but is there any chance of him cracking the OL rotation at all this year? He was highly touted in coming out of high school and is big ol' boy. The way I see it, if he doesn't crack the rotation at all this year he's not going to crack it next with all our starters returning.

I didn't hear much about him at all in spring. I realize he is just a redshirt freshman but is there any chance of him cracking the OL rotation at all this year? He was highly touted in coming out of high school and is big ol' boy. The way I see it, if he doesn't crack the rotation at all this year he's not going to crack it next with all our starters returning.

He was offered by UT and Arky. :ermm:

Reactions: 1 person

He's a "big ol' boy " in line... behind other BIG OLE BOYS...he's a guard at this point with four years to make his mark...we see him some this year if injuries still happen.

Reactions: 3 people

4* on Rivals and #20 OT. Not too shabby.

I think one of the main reasons others didn't offer or pursue him more is the fact he is a die hard Vols fan. One of those home grown fans that everybody already knew where he was going.

I remember hearing how he was one of those legit "mean" OL players. Hope he shows it and gets some playing time this season.

Just noticed this sound pretty homeristic, but I honestly have no ties to him. Just sharing my :twocents:

Reactions: 19 people
The question for guys like Sanders and Kendrick is do they have "The Mean."

Both have the size.

I think he will play. 2nd year in system and on the 2 deep. I got worried about his health during the spring. I remember it being reported he may have had a concussion right before the O&W game and I remember seeing him come out of the game due to getting his bell rung again. Could be nothing though. His dad posts here sometimes. Maybe he will update us.

Reactions: 1 person
4* on Rivals and #20 OT. Not too shabby.

I think one of the main reasons others didn't offer or pursue him more is the fact he is a die hard Vols fan. One of those home grown fans that everybody already knew where he was going.

I remember hearing how he was one of those legit "mean" OL players. Hope he shows it and gets some playing time this season.

Just noticed this sound pretty homeristic, but I honestly have no ties to him. Just sharing my :twocents:

Exactly. Tyrann Mathieu only got 2 "legit" offers and those were LSU and UT.

His only other offers were FIU, La-Monroe, Tulane, Southern Miss and SMU.

Why didn't anyone else offer him? He's grew up an LSU fan and he's from New Orleans. Not worth the effort to still lose out in the end.

Reactions: 2 people
His father posts on this board under the screen name "thatsmyboy". At least I am pretty sure that is his screen name. You might message him if you have questions about Austin.

Reactions: 2 people
Bama wanted him as well. Sanders is just a r-Fr. We need to remember that OL and DL position are manned by upperclassmen red-shirts on most successful teams unless a player is a true freak of nature. Sanders has plenty of time to contribute. There is no shame in backing up R-Jr. Marcus Jackson or R-Jr. Kyler Kerbyson at G. Jackson was a starter at different times his first two years while the well regarded OLs we had last year played and he red-shirted to help the transition this year. I expect Jackson to be really good this year. Also, Kyler is expected to be very solid and has two additional years on Sanders in the program. All in all, Sanders is on pace to be a contributor for UT at the G position and there's no reason to be concerned.

Reactions: 6 people
Like all the guys, Sanders is another year into the system and, simply due to the group as a whole "gettin' it,", the Vols just may appear to be deeper than the pundits have predicted they'd be. This is one of a half dozen reasons that some people are going to be wondering how TenneWHO so quickly became TenneWOW.:groupwave:

Reactions: 5 people
Bama wanted him as well. Sanders is just a r-Fr. We need to remember that OL and DL position are manned by upperclassmen red-shirts on most successful teams unless a player is a true freak of nature. Sanders has plenty of time to contribute. There is no shame in backing up R-Jr. Marcus Jackson or R-Jr. Kyler Kerbyson at G. Jackson was a starter at different times his first two years while the well regarded OLs we had last year played and he red-shirted to help the transition this year. I expect Jackson to be really good this year. Also, Kyler is expected to be very solid and has two additional years on Sanders in the program. All in all, Sanders is on pace to be a contributor for UT at the G position and there's no reason to be concerned.

Spot on.. Don't expect for example all of the OL that have committed in the 15 class to come in and play next season

He's a "big ol' boy " in line... behind other BIG OLE BOYS...he's a guard at this point with four years to make his mark...we see him some this year if injuries still happen.

With (5) years to make his mark

He always wanted to be a Vol and cut off everyone once he committed. Before NSD, Alabama was trying to flip him and he told them like everyone else before that they were wasting their time. Way to support a kid who was always a VFL and is cracking the 2 deep in the rotation at guard which is not our weakest part of the line (tackle is ) who is just a RS soph.

Once UT is really back, we will have guys with a minimum of three years in the program before they start. That will be true depth and what you need in the trenches to be successful. Exceptions to every rule but most linemen need to be RS their first year so they can be lifting and getting bigger and better without having to prepare for games. When you have to prepare for games you can't do the typical lifting ect that you need to do to get SEC ready.

I am friends and grew up with his Mom Jennifer and Aunt Lynn in Harrison. Austin has been a Vol diehard all his life and his Mom told me that it was his dream to play for the Vols which he fulfilled! No other colleges beside Arky (former Vol OL coach is coaching there) and Bama showed interest because every coach in the country knew he was ALL Vol so they didn't waste their time.

He will play and don't be surprised if he is starting by late this year or early next year and he has all of local Chattanooga area pulling for Austin who is a great kid and very respectful towards others and his Mom and aunt are awesome people too!

Reactions: 13 people
I am friends and grew up with his Mom Jennifer and Aunt Lynn in Harrison. Austin has been a Vol diehard all his life and his Mom told me that it was his dream to play for the Vols which he fulfilled! No other colleges beside Arky (former Vol OL coach is coaching there) and Bama showed interest because every coach in the country knew he was ALL Vol so they didn't waste their time.

He will play and don't be surprised if he is starting by late this year or early next year and he has all of local Chattanooga area pulling for Austin who is a great kid and very respectful towards others and his Mom and aunt are awesome people too!

Guys like Austin Sanders are the kind of emotional backbone that helps make up championship teams. You can't teach being a die hard fan and that vibe and sense of pride in the program is infectious. We have an awesome core of legacies and died in the wool vol fans on the team now with real talent. It will pay dividends to the future.

Guys like Austin Sanders are the kind of emotional backbone that helps make up championship teams. You can't teach being a die hard fan and that vibe and sense of pride in the program is infectious. We have an awesome core of legacies and died in the wool vol fans on the team now with real talent. It will pay dividends to the future.

:good!::good!::good!::good!:

Soph. Wiesman is the #1 replacement at G/C, so Sanders time will be somewhat limited.

Crowder/Jackson/Kerbyson are all Jrs. Don't see any of them turning pro after this year but if they do that is certainly a good sign!

I still think that Austin Sanders is going to be one heck of a player for the Vols. He has a ton of heart. Reminds me of ole Tom Myslinski

Reactions: 4 people
His father posts on this board under the screen name "thatsmyboy". At least I am pretty sure that is his screen name. You might message him if you have questions about Austin.

I'm sure you will get a nonbiased opinion from his Dad.

We will not be good 'til we build a three deep at each position. :no:

Couldn't disagree more.
No coach ever wants to go to the third player at any position and thank God we rarely have to.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back