Practice Monday 8/18

Fingers

-Saulsberry watched from the sidelines on crutches.
-The first-team units saw no change today, which means Michael Williams was at CB.
-multiplicity is a key word of defense with guys like Weatherd and Elliot Berry who can be used in specific sitatuions.
-Medley is more dynamic that Bullock

Fast Five: Tennessee Vols football Monday practice

Reactions: 7 people
3027260.jpg

3027266.jpg

3027285.jpg

Reactions: 10 people
Observations and notes from RTI

Jashon Robertson continues to look very solid at right guard. Coach Don Mahoney spent some time teaching Robertson some of the smaller details of the position during early drill-work and the freshman was picking things up very quickly. Robertson’s recent surge at guard has certainly helped strengthen the right side of the offensive line in the last week or so.

Injuries: DE Curt Maggitt (ankle) wasn’t in pads, but did work on the side running and doing various agility drills. He looks close to returning. DE Jaylen Miller was back in full pads after missing most of last week. S Geraldo Orta practiced in a green, non-contact jersey. DT Trevarris Saulsberry, who was injured in the open practice Saturday night, watched practice with crutches, but with no visible brace or cast on.

Three-man weave: Butch Jones brought back the three-man weave as a warm-up drill for the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Defensive end Curt Maggitt (ankle) again did not practice, though he was doing some agility work and running on the side while his teammates went through individual drills. It's the most extensive work Maggitt has done in more than a week as the Vols try to get him ready for the season opener. Freshman Derek Barnett continued to deputize for Maggitt with the first-team defense.

*Freshmen linebackers Elliott Berry and Dillon Bates and junior college transfer linebacker Chris Weatherd were all with the first-team kickoff coverage unit, along with defensive backs Williams, Lemond Johnson, Cam Sutton, Malik Foreman, Devaun Swafford and LaDarrell McNeil and linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin.

Tennessee football practice report: Vols wrapping up training camp | Times Free Press

I just wanted to get in a post to check out my first avatar picture. I stole it from a picture above, because I love the expression on Butch's face. How does it look?

Sorry to take up a post in a regular thread that actually provides real information. Thanks for what you do, Fingers, Zasnow and the rest of you addicts

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
"That's the first time in the history of Tennessee football that we haven't had a ball on the ground," Jones said after the first weave. "That means we're getting better.

The Vols' offense continues to shuffle a bit, with Kyler Kerbyson looking increasingly comfortable at right tackle and Jashon Robertson surging at right guard. Continuing to be encouraging for Tennessee: Dylan Wiesman got more reps at second-team center and continued to look healthier than he has for the majority of camp.

Derek Barnett and Corey Vereen keep making strides at defensive end, and Weatherd continues to show his athleticism.

http://wireless.rivals.com/content....397&TeamId=&header_select=Team News-Headlines

Reactions: 4 people
Originally Posted by Orange And Garnet
Sorry for the dumb question but who is Michael Williams?

Our starting cornerback opposite Cam Sutton. Lol. He's a transfer from Maryland.

I thought Moseley was penciled as the starter opposite Cam?

Originally Posted by Orange And Garnet
Sorry for the dumb question but who is Michael Williams?

Our starting cornerback opposite Cam Sutton. Lol. He's a transfer from Maryland.

I thought Moseley was penciled as the starter opposite Cam?

Moseley seemed to have the inside track until this past week when Williams started getting first team reps. Unclear if it's a motivational thing or if Williams is outplaying him in practice. We shall see...

JONES: Last practice of training camp. We'll have a team event tonight then take two days off to get academics in order.

JONES: We must be a mature football team and we're not there yet. I think it's going to be beneficial for us to start school

JONES: We have to stop the run, first and foremost. We're talented but very, very young.

JONES: The mental approach is so much more important than the physical approach right now.

JONES: Part of being a mature football team is relying on your leaders.

JONES on the o-line: It's about what we expected. It's not about the search, it's about depth.

JONES: Jayshon Robertson has done a great job. He's brought it each and every day.

JONES: We need them all to mature. Some are doing it quickly, some need more work.

JONES: Elliott (Berry) understands pad leverage, he understands momentum. The Berrys are very cerebral, we're seeing that every day.

JONES: The start of the season isn't the end. Individuals are going to develop as the season goes on.

JONES: Some will be ready game 4 or 5, some will be ready for Utah St. But I'm encouraged with the development I see.

JONES: We have really improved our team speed, now it's the fundamentals.

JONES: It's an ongoing process to put players in the best position they can be in to help this football team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Moseley seemed to have the inside track until this past week when Williams started getting first team reps. Unclear if it's a motivational thing or if Williams is outplaying him in practice. We shall see...

Maybe its more about finding 1A and 1B.. They play maybe 8 series a game and splitting 60/40 The same could be said about Sutton, but nobody has been mentioned on that side.

Maybe its more about finding 1A and 1B.. They play maybe 8 series a game and splitting 60/40 The same could be said about Sutton, but nobody has been mentioned on that side.

Agreed, in that scenario being named the starter is not a huge deal.

This is GREAT news to hear! The braces they wear certainly could have saved his knee in this case. Really happy for Trevarris! :good!:

Rocky Top Insider@rockytopinsider 4m
Trevarris Saulsberry's injury isn't serious, Jones said. Could be a few days or a week, but Jones said it's not a season-ending deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Defensive end/linebacker Curt Maggitt underwent some physical testing under the supervision of trainers, but was not in pads for practice on Monday. He had missed at least seven consecutive practices before Saturday because of an injured ankle. Coach Butch Jones said he would practice Saturday morning but he did not. He also said he would practice Sunday, but Sunday’s practice was cancelled. Still, the testing suggests that he’s at least on the road back to being available for the Utah State game on Aug. 31.

Hurd spent much of the scrimmage working out as the first-team running back, but Jones took the opportunity to make it clear to him that he hadn’t arrived. Hurd dropped a pass in the screen pass drill that prompted Jones to tell him he needed to not be a runner but be a “complete running back.” “It’s like the headline in The Tennessean,” Jones said. “Can Jalen Hurd be a college running back?”

Instant analysis from Tennessee

Reactions: 2 people
Observations and notes from RTI

Jashon Robertson continues to look very solid at right guard. Coach Don Mahoney spent some time teaching Robertson some of the smaller details of the position during early drill-work and the freshman was picking things up very quickly. Robertson’s recent surge at guard has certainly helped strengthen the right side of the offensive line in the last week or so.

Injuries: DE Curt Maggitt (ankle) wasn’t in pads, but did work on the side running and doing various agility drills. He looks close to returning. DE Jaylen Miller was back in full pads after missing most of last week. S Geraldo Orta practiced in a green, non-contact jersey. DT Trevarris Saulsberry, who was injured in the open practice Saturday night, watched practice with crutches, but with no visible brace or cast on.

Three-man weave: Butch Jones brought back the three-man weave as a warm-up drill for the team.

Hopeful?

Reactions: 1 person
Robertson: Marcus Jackson has really helped me a lot. I just focus on one thing everyday. The coaches tell me I have an opportunity to help.

Robertson: offensive line is tough, I have work on technical aspects so it becomes more natural.

Robertson: Coach Jones felt I could help the team more on the offensive line. All of my brothers in the room have helped me and pushed me.

Robertson: I want to make my family proud. I'm glad to be where I'm at.

Robertson: Wrestling really helped me with leverage. I wrestled from 8th grade until my junior year.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back