Can somebody tell me what happened to Lane??

BigOrangeTrain

Morior Invictus
Don't get me wrong I love Hurd and what he brings to the table. Definitely the future. However I think Lane needs to be the workhorse for us this season. Honestly I think he needs to get at least 15 touches per game. Lane is just as good or better than Neal was. So what gives?

Reactions: 2 people
Don't get me wrong I love Hurd and what he brings to the table. Definitely the future. However I think Lane needs to be the workhorse for us this season. Honestly I think he needs to get at least 15 touches per game. Lane is just as good or better than Neal was. So what gives?

Hurd is RB1. Pretty obvious.

Lane will get his carries.

He got 11 carries tonight. We threw the ball a lot and Hurd had 11 carries as well. We don't need to overload Lane. But I do expect his carries to rise with the competition.

Reactions: 1 person
Lane ended up with more yards (41 vs 29) than Hurd, and each ran 11 times. Hardly a disappearance, although a far cry from being a workhorse back. Today we just simply saw a more pass happy team than we saw last year.

Nothing happened to him. I think we all knew he and Hurd would split the carries. Both scored, so I'm happy.

Reactions: 2 people
It's also possible that the staff saw a huge vulnerability with USUs pass D and simply called runs to keep them honest. I do remember 3 straight runs for Lane that ended with a 4th a 1 or 2.

USU was vulnerable to the pass and why risk injury to your bellcow. AFAIK USU had a pretty decent run D. Hurd wasn't trying to bounce outside which I thought was strange.

I think the coaching staff has a dilemma. I'm sure they are excited about Hurd and want him to get many touches since he's the future. But I believe that it's important that Lane gets significant playing time if for no other reason to send a message to future recruits from the state of Florida that you will play here. Also, Lane is no slouch so we'll just have to see how this develops.

Hurd hasn't played competitive football in a year. Butch is trying to get him into game mode. All know 1 back is not gonna cut in SEC and Hurd getting some extra carries will help us down the line. I expect lane to get more carries starting the Oklahoma game.

They said the gps tracker showed that Hurd was the fastest player on the team. He probably should be the number 1. But I would like to see lane more.

Lane doesn't hit the hole 100mph, but he has great patience.

What happened to both Lane and Hurd was the O-line. The combined running statistics were woeful. As the TV commentators said, when we get to teams that can match our perimeter speed and athleticism, we will have problems.

I hate to be that guy, but Hurd looked soft to me. The first sack he gave up, he got destroyed and was shoved backwards about 4 yards. I didn't see him really run over anybody either.

Maybe it was just first game jitters, but to be as big as he is, I figured he would look more physical. That was just a first impression... You can definitely see the talent is there...

Lane is the better runner right now. He's patient at letting the blockers get position, Hurd ran straight in to the hole before it was really open, that'll come with time and reps. Lane should be carrying the load and as we start playing better competition, I think he will.

Reactions: 1 person
I hate to be that guy, but Hurd looked soft to me. The first sack he gave up, he got destroyed and was shoved backwards about 4 yards. I didn't see him really run over anybody either.

Maybe it was just first game jitters, but to be as big as he is, I figured he would look more physical. That was just a first impression... You can definitely see the talent is there...

There is an adjustment. Got to remember that he's used to being the biggest and fastest guy in the field at all times. That won't be the case. He did get blown up on that pass protection but that happens when you're flat-footed and a LB is running full speed at you. He will catch up to the curve sooner than later.

I'd call it a freshman mistake

There is an adjustment. Got to remember that he's used to being the biggest and fastest guy in the field at all times. That won't be the case. He did get blown up on that pass protection but that happens when you're flat-footed and a LB is running full speed at you. He will catch up to the curve sooner than later.
I agree there is an adjustment and he was probably a little shell shocked at first :)

VN Store

Back