Did @SBNationCFB forget the 2005 Vols?

There was a stat given on ESPN about the record under Miles in Saturday night games. USA Today must have grabbed that and ran with it and left out the "Saturday" part.

Well to be honest that just pisses me off. We make that even more elite. I did tweet back they forgot the 05 Vols, but I guess it has fallen on deaf ears.

That's some crack research team they've got over there at SBNation. Amateur hour.

There was a stat given on ESPN about the record under Miles in Saturday night games. USA Today must have grabbed that and ran with it and left out the "Saturday" part.

In an era where Thursday night games are commonplace, this just seems like an effort to make a stat meet the narrative that's being pushed.

I was at that game. It was definitely night time when it finished, but it wasn't dark yet at kickoff. It might have been a weird kickoff time like 5pm or something like that, does anyone remember for sure? Most likely though, SB Nation just didn't do their homework.

I may be wrong, but I think the announcers said the first time Les Miles lost to an unranked team during his time there. I believe UT was ranked that year (2005) at the time when we played at LSU, even though our record at the end of the season was not even .500.

Reactions: 1 person
Sports journalism, like most other journalism in this country, is a joke.

It truly is! No one cares whether what they say is accurate or not, they just talk to hear themself rattle. It's amazing how many things announcers say that are incorrect! Pathetic

Although that season was the beginning of the end (Started at #3 ended unranked), ESPN says that it started at 7:30 PM. That is definitely a night game. It was a 30-27 OT Victory, they were #3 we were #10.

I don't think you guys read the graphic carefully. It says "Tiger Stadium" That game was not in Tiger stadium was it? Wasn't it at a different venue due to the hurricane that just passed by?

I don't think you guys read the graphic carefully. It says "Tiger Stadium" That game was not in Tiger stadium was it? Wasn't it at a different venue due to the hurricane that just passed by?

"Hurricane Katrina forced the No. 4 Tigers to postpone their first home game, and move their second to Arizona State, where LSU came away with a dramatic win.Then Hurricane Rita created another delay and set up the first Monday nighter in Tiger Stadium."

Only the night was changed, to a Monday, but the game was still at Tiger Stadium aka Death Valley.

Edit : Beaten.

OK. I stand corrected. Thanks.

I remember something changing about that and Fulmer threatening to stay home. I was thinking they moved it to another venue. :eek:k:

OK. I stand corrected. Thanks.

I remember something changing about that and Fulmer threatening to stay home. I was thinking they moved it to another venue. :eek:k:

Got beaten into submission I see. A Bad Memory will not be tolerated on this board you got that.:)

This's is correct. Had tickets to this game but had to work on Monday, so was not able to attend.

Didnt have tix but I called in sick at work just to watch it -- also I recall it was the highest rated CFB game ever for a Monday night or something like that - was sad to see the Vols fall apart later that season

I heard that as well.

VN Store

Back