How Do You Like Our Odds?

DiderotsGhost

After watching four weeks of college football, I feel more confident about our Vols making a bowl game. Our defense has looked much better than expected (particularly the D-line) and while our offense has struggled with O-line issues, we've still managed to have some success (but turnovers have been a killer!)

Here's the rest of our schedule and my analysis on our odds of winning. I'd be curious to hear everyone else's thoughts, as well.

@ Georgia
Odds: 40%
I still think we're the underdogs vs UGA, but feeling more confident about our chances after watching their defense completely fall apart vs South Carolina. At the beginning of the season, I thought Jeremy Pruitt would have this team in much better shape on defense, but it seems like they are still struggling. This is still a very good football team, and we're going to have difficulty handling Gurley, but now I feel like we have a realistic shot at an upset.

vs Florida
Odds: 45%
So many people are pointing out Florida's woes at Bama as evidence we should beat them. I'm not so sure. Florida's defense played pretty good, created a lot of pressure, and forced quite a few turnovers. That's bad news given our weakness on the Offensive Line. Nevertheless, Florida's less-than-impressive offense gives us a shot at victory this year, if we can just avoid big mistakes. We have a good shot at winning, but it's not going to be a cakewalk against that defense.

vs Chattanooga
Odds: 98%
Chattanooga is better than most people think, but I'd still be surprised if they beat us. If you look at the I-AA teams that tend to pull upsets, they normally have some difficult element to defend (e.g. Georgia Southern's triple-option).

@ Ole Miss
This is another D-line that could make life miserable for our offense. At the same time, their offense has appeared one dimensional at times. Definitely think we have a shot, but should still be considered underdogs.

vs Alabama
Odds: 20%
I was really impressed by Bama's performance vs. Florida. If they hadn't turned the ball over so much, that game would have been a massive blowout. We have a chance, as we match up with Bama reasonably well in some areas. But I have to think their superior talent and years of excellent coaching give them an overall advantage.

@ South Carolina
Odds: 52%
My read on SC is that they are somewhat like the 2013 Texas A&M team: great offense, no defense. I feel pretty good about our chances against them, but I wouldn't overlook how well they've played on the offensive side of the ball. The good news: I think we have a better defensive match-up against them than UGA. Their weak pass rush is another big benefit, given our weakness on the O-line. We might find ourselves with more leeway on offense against SC than we will against most of our top opponents (Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Bama, Florida, UGA).

vs Kentucky
Odds: 65%
Don't overlook this team. Mark Stoops has done an excellent job in Lexington. We have more talent and the game is at Neyland, so I would certainly view us as favorites, but I wouldn't write off the Wildcats this year, either.

vs Mizzou
Odds: 60%
Still don't know what to make of Mizzou. Thought they were one of the most overrated teams coming into the season. They looked spectacular against UCF and I thought my pre-season prognosis might have been off. Then they looked horrible against Indiana, and suddenly my pre-season prediction seemed spot-on. I definitely do not envision us getting beaten to a pulp this year, like we did last year. And I think we're the better team.

@ Vanderbilt
Odds: 80%
The only downside here is that we have to wait till the end of the season to play Vandy, because I don't think they'd stand a chance against us now. We'll see how they progress, but right now, I have to think we're heavy favorites versus them.

Overall Prediction: 7-5

Right now, I see us as a 6- or 7- win team against this difficult schedule. My prediction is that we pull at least one more upset (Ole Miss, UGA, Florida, Bama), but that we lose at least one out of the rest of our slate (e.g. South Carolina, Kentucky, Mizzou).

I think our offense will improve as the year goes on, but more teams will find ways to exploit our defense. Remember, we used a lot of gimmicks on defense to keep Oklahoma in check. Future opponents are going to gameplan around that better.

One thing I can say ... I am very excited about seeing how this team progresses. I could see it improving quicker than expected and surprising a lot of people. I also like that we have an outside shot at winning the SEC East this year if we play well (given the weakness of the division).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Georgia is by far our toughest east game and even that is winnable. We should beat Vandy and UK, and Florida, Mizzou and SC basically are all tossups. Unfortunately we got shafted yet again with our west schedule, which may be what keeps us out of contending for the East title.

If we play for 60 minutes and not let up, we can beat UGA.

If we play for 60 minutes and not let up on Florida, we can beat them also.

Peterman will get alot of playing time against Chattanooga.

Alabama will beat us, but we won't lay down for them.

We can beat USC. When they do beat us, they beat us barely, so it is so close that it could go either way. I favor us though. We are hungrier to win.

We beat Ky.

NOt sure about Missouri.

We beat Vandy and probably stomp them because they beat us two seasons in a row and we need to teach them that we are still their big brother.

I am confident that we will get our 6th win somewhere along the way and make it to a bowl game in the South East region. So, we travel well.....

Pretty sound thoughts. I think we have great chances of upsetting some teams. I like your 7-5 number.

After watching USCe slow down Gurley via line adjustments and personnel, It's going to be interesting to see what CBJ and staff do. Success in this will be the key.
Florida will be in the game for a half or so. They have converting issues as will as QB problems. We are ranked 3 in nation for 3rd down stops.
This early, these 2 are the only teams I really have any idea about at this point. These are 50/50 games to me.
7-5 is more probable than 5-7
GBO!

Vols opened a 11.5 point dog to the Dawgs. Be interesting to see if it moves much either way. O/U is 65. Probably about right. Vols have about a 25% chance to win outright IMHO.

Vols opened a 11.5 point dog to the Dawgs. Be interesting to see if it moves much either way. O/U is 65. Probably about right. Vols have about a 25% chance to win outright IMHO.

So they seem to be predicting about a 38-27 Georgia win? Seems fair enough. I would def take the under though.

After watching four weeks of college football, I feel more confident about our Vols making a bowl game. Our defense has looked much better than expected (particularly the D-line) and while our offense has struggled with O-line issues, we've still managed to have some success (but turnovers have been a killer!)

Here's the rest of our schedule and my analysis on our odds of winning. I'd be curious to hear everyone else's thoughts, as well.

@ Georgia
I still think we're the underdogs vs UGA, but feeling more confident about our chances after watching their defense completely fall apart vs South Carolina. At the beginning of the season, I thought Jeremy Pruitt would have this team in much better shape on defense, but it seems like they are still struggling. This is still a very good football team, and we're going to have difficulty handling Gurley, but now I feel like we have a realistic shot at an upset.

vs Florida
So many people are pointing out Florida's woes at Bama as evidence we should beat them. I'm not so sure. Florida's defense played pretty good, created a lot of pressure, and forced quite a few turnovers. That's bad news given our weakness on the Offensive Line. Nevertheless, Florida's less-than-impressive offense gives us a shot at victory this year, if we can just avoid big mistakes. We have a good shot at winning, but it's not going to be a cakewalk against that defense.

vs Chattanooga
Chattanooga is better than most people think, but I'd still be surprised if they beat us. If you look at the I-AA teams that tend to pull upsets, they normally have some difficult element to defend (e.g. Georgia Southern's triple-option).

@ Ole Miss
This is another D-line that could make life miserable for our offense. At the same time, their offense has appeared one dimensional at times. Definitely think we have a shot, but should still be considered underdogs.

vs Alabama
I was really impressed by Bama's performance vs. Florida. If they hadn't turned the ball over so much, that game would have been a massive blowout. We have a chance, as we match up with Bama reasonably well in some areas. But I have to think their superior talent and years of excellent coaching give them an overall advantage.

@ South Carolina
My read on SC is that they are somewhat like the 2013 Texas A&M team: great offense, no defense. I feel pretty good about our chances against them, but I wouldn't overlook how well they've played on the offensive side of the ball. The good news: I think we have a better defensive match-up against them than UGA. Their weak pass rush is another big benefit, given our weakness on the O-line. We might find ourselves with more leeway on offense against SC than we will against most of our top opponents (Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Bama, Florida, UGA).

vs Kentucky
Don't overlook this team. Mark Stoops has done an excellent job in Lexington. We have more talent and the game is at Neyland, so I would certainly view us as favorites, but I wouldn't write off the Wildcats this year, either.

vs Mizzou
Still don't know what to make of Mizzou. Thought they were one of the most overrated teams coming into the season. They looked spectacular against UCF and I thought my pre-season prognosis might have been off. Then they looked horrible against Indiana, and suddenly my pre-season prediction seemed spot-on. I definitely do not envision us getting beaten to a pulp this year, like we did last year. And I think we're the better team.

@ Vanderbilt
The only downside here is that we have to wait till the end of the season to play Vandy, because I don't think they'd stand a chance against us now. We'll see how they progress, but right now, I have to think we're heavy favorites versus them.

Right now, I see us as a 6- or 7- win team against this difficult schedule. My prediction is that we pull at least one more upset (Ole Miss, UGA, Florida, Bama), but that we lose at least one out of the rest of our slate (e.g. South Carolina, Kentucky, Mizzou).

I think our offense will improve as the year goes on, but more teams will find ways to exploit our defense. Remember, we used a lot of gimmicks on defense to keep Oklahoma in check. Future opponents are going to gameplan around that better.

One thing I can say ... I am very excited about seeing how this team progresses. I could see it improving quicker than expected and surprising a lot of people. I also like that we have an outside shot at winning the SEC East this year if we play well (given the weakness of the division).

Chattanooga will read this and conclude they have a chance....do you realize what you've done?

@ Georgia

vs Florida

vs Chattanooga

@ Ole Miss

vs Alabama

@ South Carolina

vs Kentucky

vs Mizzou

@ Vanderbilt

One thing I can say ... I am very excited about seeing how this team progresses. I could see it improving quicker than expected and surprising a lot of people. I also like that we have an outside shot at winning the SEC East this year if we play well (given the weakness of the division)

Florida defense sucked against bama????

Florida, mizz, and scjr all suck. If we lose to any of those teams we suck! FLorida and scjr have the worse defenses in college football.

I'm still not getting why I've seen so many people saying UF defense looked pretty good against Bama. They gave up a school record of over 600 yards. Yes they caused some turnovers, but 600 yards is 600 yards.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe Uga would be very winnable game if Von was 100%. His injury really hurt us in the OU game, I still think we would have lost, but it would've been interesting.he's very similar to Kevin White from WVU. Still saying 7-5, man that's a mean schedule.

I'm still not getting why I've seen so many people saying UF defense looked pretty good against Bama. They gave up a school record of over 600 yards. Yes they caused some turnovers, but 600 yards is 600 yards.

Yep Von, UF caused one big turnover..other turnovers seemed to be on Bama. Amari Cooper is a great receiver, but time and time again, UF would let him get open.
At one point.....Muschamp put a Linebacker on the outside to cover Bama's quicker/smaller RB.....at the line, on the outside.....
UF defense is not very well coached. UF D line maybe pretty good....but is offset by bad play calling.

Here are mine:

Jawja: 45%
They have an amazing run game but their passing game is eh. It's all on our LBs to win this game on defense. If our OLine starts opening holes for the run game then Worley will have a fun time lighting up their secondary.

UF: 75%
I think Lane Kiffin is why Bama gave UF so many turnovers. Their Defense is mediocre and so is their Offense. Let's torch their gator asses back to where they belong.

Chattanooga: 99.7%
Only a Sith deals an absolute, but this is definitely a game to rack up experience in our depth

Ole Piss: 40%
I think we're underdogs here, but with the experience we've gained I think we'll put up a good fight.

Bammer:
If OLine plays a great game: 60%
If they blow it: 15%
'Bamas offense is inconsistent, but their defense is great IMO. This will come down to our OLine opening up holes for the run game so we can pass. I think our receiving corps is better than their Secondary, and Saban has always had issues with an offense that spreads the ball around....
Also: with how Butch is coaching, id say he's lit a fire under Knoxville. Big crowd at Neyland!

The Roosters: 70%
I think Bama will be more harder to defend against than SC, and honestly SCs defense sucks. Should be a close game but a Vol victory due to experience against Bama

KY Jelly: 80%
In the closing stretch, our more talented players will outplay Kentucky with the experience gained from the UGA to Bama gauntlet.

Misery: 70%
The "upset" vs Indiana finally convinced me that Mizzou definitely is not a big contender to do well this year. As with KY, our experience will have already shown and we will beat them

Vandy: 200%
Vandy sucks. I will enjoy watching their Fans hopes and dreams slowly be crushed throughout the Season.

Final Tally: 8-4

Until we finally beat a BIG 3 (and you know which 3 I am talking about), I ....
I am just so dang tired of losing to those schools. Ughh- I hope we catch a break this year.
Please football gods.

Florida, mizz, and scjr all suck. If we lose to any of those teams we suck! FLorida and scjr have the worse defenses in college football.

After sleepwalking in Nashville last night and getting down 14-0, SCar sucked all night long and still out scored Vandy 48-20 the rest of the game. Even the best teams don't get up for every game. They were coming off a great effort vs Georgia the week before. I don't think SCar sucks at all. Mizzou has a lot of dynamic playmakers at key positions (qb, RB, Wr, DE). Florida has a lot of athletes but does kinda look like they may indeed blow.

UGA - 33%
UF - 50%
Chatt - 99.9%
Ole Miss - 35%
Bama - 30%
SC - 40%
Missouri - 50%
UK 66%
Vandy - 75%

UF and Missouri are swing games to determine 7-5 to 5-7 finish.

Bama 0%
USC 30%
Mizzou 30%
Kentucky 30%
Vandy 70%

We finish 5-7. Jones trumpets our not finishing with 8 losses. Denialists parrot it.

Reactions: 2 people
Bama 0%
USC 30%
Mizzou 30%
Kentucky 30%
Vandy 70%

We finish 5-7. Jones trumpets our not finishing with 8 losses. Denialists parrot it.

Bama 0%
USCe 40%
Mizzou 30%
Kentucky 50%
Vandy 80%

Agree. 4th 5-7 season in a row.

VN Store

Back