Is the POTSB making the trip to Athens?

Per a band member in my class, the AD would only like to take the full band to away locations if they can march at halftime. Home teams are all different in whether they allot time for an opposing band or not. We allotted time for Utah St's band, but they didn't make the trip, so halftime was a little funny. Georgia is taking up the whole halftime to honor Vince Dooley, so only our pep band will go. They're taking separate buses to Chattanooga on Friday so the pep band can go to Athens, while the rest of the band returns to Knoxville.

Reactions: 2 people
Not following...who uses piped in music?

The sideline speakers at Neyland reinforce the POTS throughout the home games, creating a horrific sound delay that is distracting & unmusical. I am a retired band director & bring earplugs to the games. Disappointing.:whistling:

The sideline speakers at Neyland reinforce the POTS throughout the home games, creating a horrific sound delay that is distracting & unmusical. I am a retired band director & bring earplugs to the games. Disappointing.:whistling:

You have it backwards. Before the sideline speakers there was a horrific delay. The speakers have solved this. Since we apparently have to quote our credintials, I am a retired marching band member, MHS class of 2000. Also 5th grade class spelling bee champion circa 1993. Thank you.

Reactions: 5 people

There is a new sound system this year and it's MUCH better than the old system. It's really incredible this year with the new delay system. My seats are in XX3 and the mic sound and live sound reach my ears at the exact same time. And I'm a band director and marched in the PRIDE as well.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow. Vandy. What a great experience.

My first year in the POTS, we spent at least 4 or 5 days (I was 17, and there was lots of liquor on the buses, so I don't recall exactly) with the entire band traveling up through DC to NYC for the kickoff classic. Pep band to Starkville, then full trips to Bama, Boston College, Kentucky and the Peach Bowl.

I guess it wasn't uphill in the snow both ways...

If opposing team aren't going to allow us to play then why in Haiti would we allow them to play at ours. Our halftime needs to filled with something, we allow a band to come that doesn't even come and have a goofy halftime. If we are not going to be allowed to take our band to road games we at least need to get a good full halftime show at our own house. GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 1 person
If opposing team aren't going to allow us to play then why in Haiti would we allow them to play at ours. Our halftime needs to filled with something, we allow a band to come that doesn't even come and have a goofy halftime. If we are not going to be allowed to take our band to road games we at least need to get a good full halftime show at our own house. GO VOLS!!!

We sometimes don't allow the guest band to perform. It's usually when we have some sort of award presentation. Most of these schools are having something similar.

I think it's more of a money issue getting the band to Athens, thanks to mike Hamilton UT is still scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Per a band member in my class, the AD would only like to take the full band to away locations if they can march at halftime. Home teams are all different in whether they allot time for an opposing band or not. We allotted time for Utah St's band, but they didn't make the trip, so halftime was a little funny. Georgia is taking up the whole halftime to honor Vince Dooley, so only our pep band will go. They're taking separate buses to Chattanooga on Friday so the pep band can go to Athens, while the rest of the band returns to Knoxville.

Vince. He's as bad as his dumb ass son. I'd love to ruin that celebration with a victory. I never did like him. And thanks for the good info. Go Vols!

Except for bama. Their band is bigger and louder than The Pride every year they play in Neyland. Thank god for piped in music.

Bama's band is classless. They try to play over Rockytop. I wouldn't give 15 cents for their "Million Dollar Band".

The Alabama $1.98 Band does a simple little trick to get that louder noise. They march to a position without playing the play while they're standing still. Much, much easier to play loud that way. The POTSB does both - march and play. Yes, the sound is lower but it provides the audience with a more enjoyable performance than watching 300 stand still.

VN Store

Back