Gilliam update

Is this a feel good story or could this guy actually come in and be effective this year, constantly putting force and weight on that knee?

Awesome if he can return!! I think he could really help the O line (as many have already stated in other threads)

The kids waited a long time for his chance to play. Hope he can make it back. Gilliam is what you cal a true VFL!

Reactions: 2 people
He can come and kick candy's butt. And even if its not reg season, there is likely to be a time at our bowl game

Speaking from experience of someone who has torn his ACL. To reach your goals you need to not only be the coaching cliche of being the first to and last to leave. But also whatever therapy is prescribed for you for at home do more than the average expected. Physical therapist love the results for pushing yourself as long as you are doing the exercises that your particular orthopaedic surgeons protocol calls for. So in essence for what I'm saying is put in work Mr. Gilliam and the rest will work itself out. The trainers over on the hill will put you in every possible scenario to succeed if you strive to exceed.

Never heard of anyone have a recovery from ACL in 2-3 months especially if surgery is involved. There is always a first.

I didn't have my acl repaired til about 6 months after I tore it. I was in very good shape at the time of the tear, and continued to train hard after the tear with rehab. I could see in some cases being able to get back if te tear was not a full tear. I want skiing several times with mine on a complete tear, and honestly was not going to have the repair done, but it started slipping on me causing more meniscus damage.
I was leg pressing over 700 and squating over 400 with a strong knee brace just prior to my acl surgery too.

Never heard of anyone have a recovery from ACL in 2-3 months especially if surgery is involved. There is always a first.

Yeah but most are from skill positions. If he takes therapy super seriously to fight the muscle atrophy that will set in, then maybe UT has a brace that they can handle it. I don't know but working working working by Gilliam and his physical therapist are keys. A strong support group helps. What I mean is for the at home exercises there will be times to reach his goals his true friends and family members won't put outings in front of his goals. Things like going to movies concerts etc...... So if it's time for home to put work in don't ask him to do it later as statistics showed people who put it off don't reschedule it but skip altogether. At least that's what my surgeon and therapist were adamant about. And I must say it's easy to do.

Last edited:
This is the kind of example you want your younger players to see. You work towards your goals no matter what.

Reactions: 3 people
I didn't have my acl repaired til about 6 months after I tore it. I was in very good shape at the time of the tear, and continued to train hard after the tear with rehab. I could see in some cases being able to get back if te tear was not a full tear. I want skiing several times with mine on a complete tear, and honestly was not going to have the repair done, but it started slipping on me causing more meniscus damage.
I was leg pressing over 700 and squating over 400 with a strong knee brace just prior to my acl surgery too.

Do you even work out bro? :)

Reactions: 4 people
This is the kind of example you want your younger players to see. You work towards your goals no matter what.

The message here is no matter the scenario keep coming back. That my friends is the foundation you build championships on. Former walk ons bleeding orange in a rehab room fighting to play just one more game.

If that doesn't get you pumped you might be dead.

Reactions: 4 people
I wish he could make it back but it's just not realistic to expect someone to recover from ACL surgery in 3-4 months. AP is kind of the holy grail of ACL recovery and it took him 6 months to get back to practice. Only way this happens is if it isn't a full tear and they strengthen everything around it and use a massive brace.

I wish he could make it back but it's just not realistic to expect someone to recover from ACL surgery in 3-4 months. AP is kind of the holy grail of ACL recovery and it took him 6 months to get back to practice. Only way this happens is if it isn't a full tear and they strengthen everything around it and use a massive brace.

The championship is 5 months away from when he was injured.

Humble-brag :)

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think he had surgery. In fact, I'd say it's impossible he had surgery. He may be trying to build it back up with therapy, then ACL brace it up to try to play a few downs before getting it fixed. His future isn't in football, so why not. I've known people that have done that before.

Just when I thought I couldn't be any prouder to be a Vol I read this. This kid is all Heart and I'm sure he is rubbing off on the rest of these players.

This kid is the Exact meaning of VOL FOR LIFE

Reactions: 2 people

AP had MCL tear with ACL. Very different. Plus, there are some amazing advances in stem cells and such that speed recovery.

Last edited:
Even if Jacob never returns to the playing field, his efforts to do so will inspire his comrades-in-arms to give more fully of themselves to the team.

If I remember correctly, didn't we have a LB that played an entire season on a torn Acl a while back...johnny Mitchell?

VN Store

Back