1998 Florida-Tennessee game

boxerpupsrcool

Just rewatched the entire game. Wow what memories. At least the CBS song intro is still mostly unchanged. A very fit and confident fulmer leading his team to the v and the broadcast duo of Sean mcdounough and terry Donahue were very good. Don't know why they didn't last long at CBS. This game has to be the best sec game ever

Reactions: 2 people
Agreed, and his call of the Arkansas - Tennessee game was amazing as well.

Not sure I would say confident CPF... we won that game despite his playing not to lose because of the two best coordinators in the business and the one of the greatest on field leaders of all time...

Agreed, and his call of the Arkansas - Tennessee game was amazing as well.

Ahh yes, the Clint stoener fumble..I had forgotten all about that. I remembered thinking after the close calls with Syracuse and Florida, that the Arkansas victory meant we were destined for a national championship, and it turned out we were..what a great year for Tennessee football. also, went to watch Tennessee and fl st, which I believe was the first bcs national championship game. sat in the end zone surrounded by state fans, but they were cool. I remember tickets being easy to come by. I don't think anyone expected Tennessee, much less Florida state, to be playing for a national championship that year

Not sure I would say confident CPF... we won that game despite his playing not to lose because of the two best coordinators in the business and the one of the greatest on field leaders of all time...

I agree. He spent Florida week sitting on the toilet drinking milk of magnesia

I feel bad for the young ones among us as they will never be able to experience the entire experience of that night in September 1998, including the surreal buzz of the crowd the entire night, the sultry weather, packed like sardines fans.....the noise, holy hell, the noise...and running on the field like crazed mad men, then watching the goalposts carried down Cumberland. Good times.

Reactions: 1 person
We won the game, right?

I agree. He spent Florida week sitting on the toilet drinking milk of magnesia

Must have been the magic that gave us the NC, correct?

I feel bad for the young ones among us as they will never be able to experience the entire experience of that night in September 1998, including the surreal buzz of the crowd the entire night, the sultry weather, packed like sardines fans.....the noise, holy hell, the noise...and running on the field like crazed mad men, then watching the goalposts carried down Cumberland. Good times.

I completely agree. It was just different back then. 2 elite programs playing at a top level. It was electric.

I was 12 years old sitting - excuse me, jumping - in the upper deck, section XX4 with my mom when Collins Cooper missed that field goal. Arguably still the happiest moment of my life.

That was the first year the wife and I had season tix. Sat next to a random gator fan the entire game. I remember him being nervous as a cat before that final field goal attempt. I said something like "Dude, you know you're going to make it."

Moments later, one of us was jumping up and down with tears of joy. The other was sulking off without saying a word.

I started going to games at Neyland in the mid-60's with my mom. She was a single mother and secretary at UT. She was a huge fan.

Out of the many games I've seen there, UF '98, AR '98, and Clemson in '74 are likely my favorites. (Missed most of the classic victories in the early 80's because I was working to pay for tuition.)

That was the first year the wife and I had season tix. Sat next to a random gator fan the entire game. I remember him being nervous as a cat before that final field goal attempt. I said something like "Dude, you know you're going to make it."

Moments later, one of us was jumping up and down with tears of joy. The other was sulking off without saying a word.

I started going to games at Neyland in the mid-60's with my mom. She was a single mother and secretary at UT. She was a huge fan.

Out of the many games I've seen there, UF '98, AR '98, and Clemson in '74 are likely my favorites. (Missed most of the classic victories in the early 80's because I was working to pay for tuition.)

:good!:

You, sir, are a VFL!

That is a great timeline and history of going to Vols' games.

I went to my first game in 79.

The 1st one I still remember to this day was USC in 1980 where we lost on a last second FG. That day we (my 2 brothers and I) were playing Little League football (Lenoir City at Kingston) and my Dad was watching his watch. We made it back to LC, cleaned up, and made it to the game.

1998 Florida game is the best game I've ever attended. Shawn Bryson's long TD run, Deon Grant's touchdown saving pick, Al Wilson forcing fumbles and scaring the chit out of florida's QBs. What an unbelievable celebration.

The only time I've felt as good after a game was leaving the swamp in 2001.

We are winning this Sat, it's meant to be.

Reactions: 2 people
1998 Florida game is the best game I've ever attended. Shawn Bryson's long TD run, Deon Grant's touchdown saving pick, Al Wilson forcing fumbles and scaring the chit out of florida's QBs. What an unbelievable celebration.

The only time I've felt as good after a game was leaving the swamp in 2001.

We are winning this Sat, it's meant to be.

I was sitting in K that night and I'm still waiting for Tee's pass to get to the endzone for Peerless to catch.

I was sitting in K that night and I'm still waiting for Tee's pass to get to the endzone for Peerless to catch.

CC Row 13

Otherwise I would have been on the field at the end.

86 Sugar Bowl, 85 Auburn, 95 Bama, 98 Arky, 99 Fiesta Bowl are the other big games I've attended that are at the top of my list.

Ahh yes, the Clint stoener fumble..I had forgotten all about that. I remembered thinking after the close calls with Syracuse and Florida, that the Arkansas victory meant we were destined for a national championship, and it turned out we were..what a great year for Tennessee football. also, went to watch Tennessee and fl st, which I believe was the first bcs national championship game. sat in the end zone surrounded by state fans, but they were cool. I remember tickets being easy to come by. I don't think anyone expected Tennessee, much less Florida state, to be playing for a national championship that year

My Dad broke a window in that Arkansas game when he stormed out of the room and he didn't return. He missed the rest of the game including Clint Stoener's fumbled. I remember telling him "We are destined to win the National Championship this year. Teams don't get this lucky 3 times in a year."

VN Store

Back