First Down Play Calling on the Road

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
It was hard to watch yet another UT game the other night and for one reason only: When you have a mediocre QB and a talented but admittedly young O Line and, you are on the road in a hostile environment, you do not continually call for drop back plays on first downs. IF you do, your QB has 3 seconds to throw the ball to a UT receiver, out of bounds or at someones feet. You cannot put this UT team in a 2nd down and long time and time again and expect them to win games - just not going to happen but, that is the unfortunate pattern we are in.

Games, IMO, are often won on first downs. Getting positive yardage on first down allows the offense to keep the Defense on their toes and be watching for either a run or pass on second or third down. If you lose yards on first down on the road, you have set the defense up for interceptions ALL GAME LONG. I don't blame Worley for the bad throws because they had the entire defense anticipating short dinks on almost every series.

First downs, not touchdowns, win games. If you control the ball, march down the field and continually score points, you will win a lot of your games. If all we do is focus on TDs, our defense will get worn out and our opponents will score more points than our team, and that's all I have to say about that...

Reactions: 1 person
First downs help a lot

One major problem is we run that hurry up (and punt) offense from the get go. Get off plays with more than 20 seconds on the play clock. As a result our defense falls apart as the game goes on (we have been killed on the score board in the 4th most games)

We need to take our time on first 3 plays and then kick into high gear after a couple first downs. Or maybe stay in slow down mode / hurry to line to prevent subs and let the clock wind down to shorten the game

Reactions: 2 people
. Pick your poison. This line can not run block nor can they pass block. There is no good call on first down on the road. Until we get reinforcements and experience on the offensive line - it is hard to tell a good call from a bad call IMHO.

So we become predictable and run all the time on 1st down? Logic is correct but I think there are so many vqriables that determines what plays an OC calls on 1st down. Not exactly a system IMHO.

Senior tugnuts already made a thread with an insightful breakdown that shows we do both nearly equally and they all suck.

. Pick your poison. This line can not run block nor can they pass block. There is no good call on first down on the road. Until we get reinforcements and experience on the offensive line - it is hard to tell a good call from a bad call IMHO.

Dink and dunk em all the way down the field. Run screens, draws, quick slants or curls for 4-5 yds

Reactions: 1 person
First downs help a lot

One major problem is we run that hurry up (and punt) offense from the get go. Get off plays with more than 20 seconds on the play clock. As a result our defense falls apart as the game goes on (we have been killed on the score board in the 4th most games)

We need to take our time on first 3 plays and then kick into high gear after a couple first downs. Or maybe stay in slow down mode / hurry to line to prevent subs and let the clock wind down to shorten the game

Hi All... first time poster but long time follower of volnation ...I agree with this 1000 times! I have told this to many of my Vol Brethren .

Safe to say that all of VN is in 100% agreement that what the coaches are choosing for a game plan is not working, and IMO it is 75% play calling and 25% lack of talent. I do not have enough faith at this time that our offensive play callers can properly read the opposing defenses. I hope to be proved wrong. And not a couple of years. GBO!

Dink and dunk em all the way down the field. Run screens, draws, quick slants or curls for 4-5 yds

Ooh ooh I know! After we do this and work the ball effectively all the way down to the 20, we will stop doing that completely and call a double reverse around 12 to 15 yards in the backfield to make it 3rd and 29. And then, we will call a draw run play to show that we actually weren't trying to score in the first place, just practicing some cool plays.

F U Bajakian!

VN Store

Back