Format question, that's all...

What are your thoughts of the "Butch Jones Show" format?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brianchevy

I have noticed over the past 2 years that the format of the Tennessee Coaches show on Sunday has changed a lot from the way Bob Keisling did it with other coaches. I would like to get your opinion on JUST THE FORMAT.

For those NOT paying attention, the changes are:
1) no 'walk thru the game at hyper speed' replays
2) more sarah mitchell social media mash segments
3) more focus on a player, background human interest
4) no "check the stats" but more "ask the coach"
5) Twitter this and twitter that thru out the show.

So VolNation, what say you to the new format?

Don't like it. Old format with Dooley was way better.

Although I can understand why they wouldn't do it that way anymore. Going play by play and having the head coach discuss every play is basically spoon feeding opposing coaches.

More Sara Mitchell is terrific too. But other than that the new format blows.

Reactions: 1 person
Neither love it or hate it. I like more player background info but don't carr much for all of the social media fluff on the show. More than anything though, I'd much eager to watch it on Sunday regardless of the format if our games on Saturday had better results. Not being critical of CBJ or players at all though. He's the man for the job and these players give their all for Tennessee. I know they're just as ready for the wins as the rest of us. Go vols! Blow Tide!

I think we're all waiting for that "signature" episode from CBJ. Still believe this show sees a season 3 and season 4.

I can say that I never missed the show even if i had to record it..now its not as interesting..
I like the old way.... run through the game and ask the coach and at the end take a look to our next opponent .. but to each his own. I still try to catch the show.
I like to look at the coach when a play came up that i may have questioned at the time and catch his expressions. but I'm nobody to question the coach however we all are guilty of it.

I have noticed over the past 2 years that the format of the Tennessee Coaches show on Sunday has changed a lot from the way Bob Keisling did it with other coaches. I would like to get your opinion on JUST THE FORMAT.

For those NOT paying attention, the changes are:
1) no 'walk thru the game at hyper speed' replays
2) more sarah mitchell social media mash segments
3) more focus on a player, background human interest
4) no "check the stats" but more "ask the coach"
5) Twitter this and twitter that thru out the show.

So VolNation, what say you to the new format?

I started a thread just like this pretty much with the same feelings.

do people actually watch that?

If they do they soon won't, just like me.

Its all BS, CBJ does plenty of interviews if you cant get what you want call into his Vols Calls.

I would rather him recruiting and spending time with his family than to continue to say the same thing over and over....and that is what you would get.

I miss the breaking down of some of the highlights. The show seems to have more
Commercials than other shows too.

As far as format...I guess I'm indifferent...

But, I caught the Spurrier coaches show on SECN the other day...and, geez, was that ever bad...the host, the format, the set, the replay quality...

Showed me just how good the Vol Network really is...

No complaints here, lol.

I loved the way Fulmer did it, where he went through the game... I love Butch Jones as a coach, but his show is fluff.

Reactions: 4 people
Watched the show one time, we've got to, we've got to we've got to,…………… Format is better than most though.

Still record it every week, rarely get around to watching it. I too miss the play-by-play analysis, which used to be pretty much half the show.

Still record it every week, rarely get around to watching it. I too miss the play-by-play analysis, which used to be pretty much half the show.

Same here. You, DocV, JCP hit it head on. Show is just not interesting. We quit watching.

So 52% of VolNation (ONLY ON THE FORMAT QUESTION), would prefer the Phil Fulmer format of running thru the game, talking about key plays and whatever, then looking at the next opponent.

I don't want to get into argument about coach Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley and Jones, just from the format perspective, this is very interesting. I hope that VolNetwork is watching this poll. Maybe they "Fix" it...

EDIT: By the way, i agree with the comments that the Vol Network is 2nd to none... The quality of the production, video, audio, graphics and set is OUTSTANDING. It's nice that we do such a good job relative to others on that front, but please, FIX THE FORMAT.

I watched it again this weekend AFTER the SC victory and it was just too much. Even with the DVR fast forwarding thru the horrible bits, i just couldn't take it any longer.

The "player profile" segments, all the social media crap is just terrible. I am canceling the "scheduled recording" on my DVR and I won't be watching any more.

To the folks over at VolNetwork, you guys need to overall this show -- because in your new media center with all the cool bells and whistles, you are producing a DUD of a show.

I love the Vols, I'm happy with the coaching staff, it's 100% FORMAT problem at this point.

Reactions: 2 people
i like the old format better,now all it is,is how to refuel and fluff pieces ,i'd rather they cut it down to 30 minutes and have the coaches go over the plays and not know how to make a sandwich,I've figured that out at around 6 or so

Same here. You, DocV, JCP hit it head on. Show is just not interesting. We quit watching.

I watched it again this weekend AFTER the SC victory and it was just too much. Even with the DVR fast forwarding thru the horrible bits, i just couldn't take it any longer.

The "player profile" segments, all the social media crap is just terrible. I am canceling the "scheduled recording" on my DVR and I won't be watching any more.

To the folks over at VolNetwork, you guys need to overall this show -- because in your new media center with all the cool bells and whistles, you are producing a DUD of a show.

I love the Vols, I'm happy with the coaching staff, it's 100% FORMAT problem at this point.

I told you guys you'd stop watching it. :)

It is definitely trying to gear for a younger audience..

Let's face it, those of us who are a bit older, are already vol fans. Nothing is going to change that. If the past 6 years have not run us off, nothing will.

It is the younger generation that they need to win over. Walking through my kids middle school, you should see how many of them wear jersey's for some of our rivals. It makes me sick. My son even says some kids get made fun of for wearing UT apparel. And this is right here in Knoxville. Luckily my son is big enough that they won't say anything to him. But I am sure Neyland rolls over in his grave at the thought of a kid in Knoxville getting made fun of for supporting the vols.

I would love to be able to turn my kid loose on some of these kids nowadays, but then it would run the risk of ruining his chances of getting a scholarship when the time comes.

Of course, winning cures all woes. And I truly believe that the team has turned a huge corner this past weekend.

A bowl, some more EE's and another amazing recruiting class this year and next year we win the east if not the entire SEC.

Then we will see who is getting made fun off for their choice in CFB teams :)

I don't get to see it much-- and maybe it has gotten better-- but it felt like total fluff. Too many commercials and promos with lame segments about nutrition and food, combined with rehashed Twitter. CBJ deserves better. He's not boring... but the format is.

CBJ deserves better. He's not boring... but the format is.

YES This exactly. I have been thinking about why it is such a crappy format and perhaps the coaches don't want to give away any ideas (as said before), or perhaps they just don't have time (i get that) -- But I don't think they know how many of us tune it. It's an OPPORTUNITY WASTED for the coaching staff and media center to put on a quality show..

I don't know if any of the VolNetwork folks are here on VolNation, but if you are, please do something -- i have 3 kids ages 20,20 and 16 and NONE of them like the show either.

Save the show, do it for the children..

:eek:lol:

VN Store

Back