Have we had ANY big plays this year?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
On offense I mean. I was just watching the "First Play" video of Peyton vs. Bama where he throws to Kent and Kent takes it 60 yards or so for a TD.

Which got me thinking 2 questions:

1) Have we had any big plays this year whatsoever? I mean like big, long passes or long runs or even short passes that go for a lot of yards?

2) Do we have any recievers on the roster that are capable of making that kind of play? A play where the receiver catches the ball at midfield and makes several defenders miss and just torches the opposing defense for a long TD.

Just curious of everyone's thoughts.

Last edited:
OP, the way our O has been playing, will be extremely happy with short passes to the right guy.

Just listing the longest pass for each game - 38, 56, 40, 31, 27, 30, 24.

Pearson had a 56 yarder against Ark State, Smith had 38 against Utah and 40 against Oklahoma...

Lot of good info here Worley stats

Have you heard of that dude Von Pearson whose been out almost all year or what about the vicious route running Josh Smith thats seriously hurt?

Are you kidding me man of course we've had good plays. The last two SEC games were rough but we had a close game with Georgia only to come short of a FG. Among some other decent games against Utah St., Ark St., and played with Oklahoma all game.

We've got tons of playmakers and we're getting more, next year will be fun given an O-Line overhaul.

Have you heard of that dude Von Pearson whose been out almost all year or what about the vicious route running Josh Smith thats seriously hurt?

Are you kidding me man of course we've had good plays. The last two SEC games were rough but we had a close game with Georgia only to come short of a FG. Among some other decent games against Utah St., Ark St., and played with Oklahoma all game.

We've got tons of playmakers and we're getting more, next year will be fun given an O-Line overhaul.
Vols fans looking forward to next year since 2002!

Reactions: 5 people
On offense I mean. I was just watching the "First Play" video of Peyton vs. Bama where he throws to Kent and Kent takes it 60 yards or so for a TD.

1) Have we had any big plays this year whatsoever? I mean like big, long passes or long runs or even short passes that go for a lot of yards?

2) Do we have any recievers on the roster that are capable of making that kind of play? A play where the receiver catches the ball at midfield and makes several defenders miss and just torches the opposing defense for a long TD.

We haven't had any for tds unless you count Worley's 31 yd pass to Pig vs Georgia....I don't think it qualifies for what you're asking though.

The only "long plays" I can think of are Josh Smith's screen catch and run vs USU, Pearson's slant catch and run vs Arky St., Hurd's 2 long runs vs Oklahoma.......and that's about it.

I mentioned this in another thread but no we've had very few big plays and none have been for TD'S and none have been recent.

Manning to Kent was 80 yards. Seared into my brain to this very day.

While we're nowhere near 80-yard explosive plays, we HAVE had long TD passes this year. Josh caught a 40-yarder or so against Oklahoma. We had one of similar length against UTC (maybe they don't count.)

The premise of this thread is sound, but some are exaggerating on here when saying we've scored NO long TD's this year.

AV

Hurd had that one long run, along the sidelines for about 42 yards before the d.b. caught him.

Berry had the long return on special teams.

Those would be nice. I'd settle for not throwing the ball to the other team 3 or 4 times a game..

100+ yard pick 6 ret in the OU game.. no wait that was the other team:no::no::no:

OP, the way our O has been playing, will be extremely happy with short passes to the right guy.

Just listing the longest pass for each game - 38, 56, 40, 31, 27, 30, 24.

Pearson had a 56 yarder against Ark State, Smith had 38 against Utah and 40 against Oklahoma...

Lot of good info here Worley stats

Great site for stats. The "Goal to go" section struck me. Worley is 5-11 for 15 yds. 3rd and goal he's 4-5 for 21 yds, so you can surmise where he's at for the rest of them. Guess thats a contributing factor to why we haven't scored a TD in our last two SEC games.

Such long pass plays are more plausible when you have the following o-line:

Jarvis Reado LT
Jason Layman LG
Jeff Smith C
Bubba Miller RG
Robert Poole RT

VN Store

Back