What are the expectations on the year?

roddo518

Coach
Do we have the talent to compete for a title this year?
Does Warlick need to get to a final four to keep the job?
Has she made any changes to her staff to eliminate some of our blaring weaknesses from last year? Is sweet sixteen good enough? Have we recruited enough stars to bring us back to the elite status? IMO, we have a lot of unanswered questions that need to be answered. I'm curious to hear the people in the know on how they feel.

Probably not.

No

Has she made any changes to her staff to eliminate some of our blaring weaknesses from last year?
Argumentative as to whether staff was totally responsible for weaknesses...but no changes to staff to my knowledge.

Is sweet sixteen good enough?
Not IMO, but think it will be fine with AD Dpt.

Have we recruited enough stars to bring us back to the elite status?
No, we need at least 2 or 3 posts, real posts that can rebound, score, dominate in paint. We only have Izzy.

IMO, we have a lot of unanswered questions that need to be answered. I'm curious to hear the people in the know on how they feel.

Not sure about overall experience, and we are one injury away from disaster.

Yes, barring significant injuries.

No. Demanding that a third-year head coach be fired for not reaching the final four is the kind of asinine thing only the mouth-breathing segment of UT fandom would do.

Has she made any changes to her staff to eliminate some of our blaring weaknesses from last year?

The last time I watched a basketball game, the staff weren't the ones controlling the fate of the ball on the court. The staff must coach the players to improve and correct their weaknesses, but the players have to buy into the coaching and implement it on the court. It sounds like that may have been an issue amid the turmoil of the coaching changeover. It sounds like the players are also aware of what they have to do and are making the appropriate changes within themselves, which is where improvement HAS to start.

Is sweet sixteen good enough?

Not if your team is capable of more. However, capability is an amalgamation of factors; it isn't solely a factor of sheer ability, either of the players or the coaching staff.

Have we recruited enough stars to bring us back to the elite status?

This team has always been elite. If it weren't, top recruits would not be considering or committing to UT. (And yes, the team has ample stars.) Your problem is that there are a lot more elite teams now than there used to be, which rather diminishes the meaning of the term. That's a change you are going to have to learn to live with. It's not changing. Top recruits have more options. Parity is here to stay.

IMO, we have a lot of unanswered questions that need to be answered.

IMO, certain "fans" need to lighten up a bit on their trollish rhetoric when it comes to criticizing a team that hasn't even stepped onto the court yet.

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure about overall experience, and we are one injury away from disaster.

This team is experienced, and it is deep enough that one injury (unless perhaps it befalls Harrison) will not be disaster.

Last edited:
This team is experienced, and it is deep enough that one injury (unless perhaps it befalls Harrison) will not be disaster.

If Tennessee loses Harrison, then they are not a Top 15 team.

No proven scorers on this team, except for Izzy and Ariel. Even if some of the freshmen get hot, teams will tear up Tennessee's post defense.

Reactions: 1 person
This team has always been elite. If it weren't, top recruits would not be considering or committing to UT. (And yes, the team has ample stars.) Your problem is that there are a lot more elite teams now than there used to be, which rather diminishes the meaning of the term. That's a change you are going to have to learn to live with. It's not changing. Top recruits have more options. Parity is here to stay.

Tennessee has one star: Harrison. They also have a bunch of HS stars that didn't pan out (Burdick, Jones), some with potential (Carter, Reynolds), some that have been serviceable (Massengale, Graves), and some freshmen with the chance to prove themselves. But they are by no means a loaded team.

Tennessee has not been "elite" since Parker graduated. Coming into this season, there are 5 elite teams (UConn, ND, Stanford, Baylor, Louisville). All four sustain heavy hits to graduation, with ND and UConn probably in position to remain elite. SC will probably join them. This may be Tennessee's chance to return to elite status.

It's not that there are more elite teams then there used to be. It's that some fanbases haven't accepted that they are not at elite level.

Ohio State, Duke, and Texas year in and year out get their share of top 10 HS recruits, but they are not elite teams. And right now, neither is Tennessee.

I expect that to change for sure next year, and possibly this year, but they will need to earn it on the court.

Last edited:
parity effects UT but not uconn. That's weird don't you think.

How so? UConn gets more from their players then Tennessee does. Tennessee has had a lot of underachieving players/teams. They had lots of opportunities, but didn't capitalize on them...both during the regular season and the tournament.

How so? UConn gets more from their players then Tennessee does. Tennessee has had a lot of underachieving players/teams. They had lots of opportunities, but didn't capitalize on them...both during the regular season and the tournament.

So your saying uconn gets better coaching. I agree.

So your saying uconn gets better coaching. I agree.

Theirs no doubt that UConn gets better coaching. This isn't a knock on Holly by any means. Like it or not, Geno was a better X's and O's coach than Pat Summitt was too. The only coach out there who is in Geno's league is Muffett McGraw.

UConn also has been able to land the best recruits (five #1's since Tennessee's last title - Charles, Moore, Mosqueda Lewis, Stewart and now Samuelson), and the 2nd tier recruits they get (Hartley, Dolson, Faris, Hayes) all exceed expectations...largely in part to Geno's coaching.

Tennessee underachieves, and UConn overachieves. That's why one team continues to dominate and the other team has fallen with the middle of the pack.

Theirs no doubt that UConn gets better coaching. This isn't a knock on Holly by any means. Like it or not, Geno was a better X's and O's coach than Pat Summitt was too. The only coach out there who is in Geno's league is Muffett McGraw.

UConn also has been able to land the best recruits (five #1's since Tennessee's last title - Charles, Moore, Mosqueda Lewis, Stewart and now Samuelson), and the 2nd tier recruits they get (Hartley, Dolson, Faris, Hayes) all exceed expectations...largely in part to Geno's coaching.

Tennessee underachieves, and UConn overachieves. That's why one team continues to dominate and the other team has fallen with the middle of the pack.

Go back to the boneyard. What are you doing over here anyway.

Lady Vols will either win regular season or tournament (not both) of an overrated SEC that will once again fail to put a team in the Final Four.

Lady Vols will advance to the Sweet 16, with some extreme luck the Elite 8 but no further. Holly will be praised for what a great job she is doing by replacing a legend and she just needs another year or two.

Rinse, repeat next season....

Lady Vols will either win regular season or tournament (not both) of an overrated SEC that will once again fail to put a team in the Final Four.

Lady Vols will advance to the Sweet 16, with some extreme luck the Elite 8 but no further. Holly will be praised for what a great job she is doing by replacing a legend and she just needs another year or two.

Rinse, repeat next season....

This is about right. Given the makeup of the team I don't see them making it past the Elite Eight. That would be a good accomplishment for this bunch. It is more likely they lose before then.

Next year with Diamond will be the first year we will have a legit shot at the Final Four and that is only if we can get some more help in the post game and Russell is fully healthy.

What UT has to watch out for is being passed by SC. They have recruited well enough that they are a threat now and Staley seems to be a good, hard nosed coach.

KY faded like I figured they would with the new rules since they mainly excelled by grabbing other teams on defense. They seemed to adjust towards the end of last year though so maybe they will still be a factor.

This team is a mystery right now, because so much of the offense went through Simmons, who is no longer here... How this affects this squad is yet to be determined. No one knows how far this team can go, all projections...

The loss of Russell for this season was an unexpected blow to the program, but many of us felt something was wrong with her...How could a Mc Donald's AA play and the number one rated player in her class, play like just an average big girl, not special at all. Her feet injuries solved that mystery....Hope she comes back 100%, but until I see her at that level, I'll just hope.

If the turnovers that plagued this squad have been significantly reduced, and ball security is demanded, we have a chance to be very good. How good is any ones guess.

Reactions: 3 people
Not ready for the final four...parts are still missing. In the next two years, it has to happen or it will not with this coaching staff. Say what you will about players, they choose to play for the coaches that they feel comfortable with. However if the coaches after getting these players cannot produce a winning product, then it is necessary to look for new coaches.

Will finish second or third SEC regular season. May not win SEC Tournament this year.

Sweet 16. Will likely finish season ranked 10 - 15.

I am not gifted with the psychic abilities with which so many of you seem to believe you are endowed. Unlike Darth Vol and Franklin Pierce, I don't presume that I can predict the future. However, I will say this: I believe many of you naysayers and Holly/coaching staff haters will be sorely disappointed when what you believe will happen (and on some level what you actually want to happen so you can continue to troll internet message boards) doesn't, in fact, actually happen.

I have no idea whether this team will make it to the final four or title game. Neither do any of you. But did you ever think of actually supporting the team and coaching staff instead of relentlessly putting them down? They haven't played a single game and ALREADY people are criticizing and complaining. People who do that aren't fans; they are ***holes. You know, sometimes people can become so demoralized by the constant criticism and naysaying that they won't perform like they otherwise might be able to. If you are constantly being told that you aren't good enough, that you aren't going to get anywhere, and being told that by the people who are supposed to be supporting you the most, then those predictions become something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I doubt that any of the players or the coaches read this board or any other (or then again, during a quiet moment, they may), but the tone of the fan base is out there, internet forum or not.

The Tennessee fan base is in so many ways amazing, but some factions are absolutely ridiculous. It's pre-season. Shut the hell up with the negativity and support the team. Encourage them like other normal fan bases. I don't know of any fan base that has more than a few outliers who act the way some Tennessee fans do; it seems the Tennessee fan base is permeated with these idiots. If you are a fan, cheer the team on. Have high expectations for these players and coaches, because I'm telling you, they ARE capable. Instead of tearing them down (individually and as a team/coaching staff), build them up. Instead of constantly talking about what you think they can't or won't do, discuss what they can and will do. You know, people tend accomplish a lot more when they feel supported, encouraged, and appreciated, and it is the job of the fan base to support, encourage, and appreciate. Don't take the wind out of their sails before they even get started. And then if something doesn't go the way it is supposed to once play beings, talk about it, criticize the aspects that went wrong, and be upset about it, but don't bash. Don't demean. Don't demoralize. That isn't what a true fan does, even when things go wrong. The coaches and players know far better what they are doing, and they each have far more on the line, than any of you do.

Unless Holly stops landing quality recruits or has a couple of losing seasons, she isn't going anywhere. Get over the coaching staff bashing. She has accomplished far, far more than most head coaches with only two complete seasons under their belts. She doesn't yet have the head coaching experience that those to whom she is being compared (somewhat unfairly) have (and no matter how you cut it, being an assistant, particularly to someone like Pat Summitt, is not the same as being the head coach). However, she is a very good coach and there is no reason to think that she won't continue to get better and better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
NEVER speak ILL till ILL has spoken... This year's team is undamndefeated, ya bastages!

Go LADY Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
Free Nia too!

I realize you say this partially in jest, but I believe if Nia were a bit bigger and stronger (and by this season, she very well could be), she could be a very solid back-up. Her basketball IQ seems high, and she appears to have a good skill set. She is an excellent free-throw shooter and has a pretty shot. This will be her junior season, and she may surprise everyone.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back