Quote from Coach Thigpen regarding AJ

TechnoVol

SIAP

From after practice today...

Matt Slovin‏@MattSlovin 25 minutes ago
Linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen calls A.J. Johnson "a great kid, great ambassador" and says he can't wait to get him back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 33 people
I noticed that too. Makes me wonder if they actually expect him back or if it is just wishful coach talk.

No way coaches open themselves up to a media broadside by not being sure.

AJ gonna be fine.

Simply coach speak for someone trying to protect his player in a time of uncertainty. Nothing more to see here. AJ won't be back this season.

What did you want Thig to say, "Aj's a horrible person?"

Simply coach speak for someone trying to protect his player in a time of uncertainty. Nothing more to see here. AJ won't be back this season.

If it's just coach speak, then Thigpen is a moron. Rape charges are incredibly serious, especially given the current climate surrounding athletes and women, and for a coach to speak out in support of an athlete suspected of rape without knowing 100 percent that he's innocent is an incredibly foolish move that could end his career.

Reactions: 31 people

The coach speak came from Butch when he said "no comment"

Reactions: 6 people

If it was doubtful, he just would offer actual coach speak, like "we have taken responsive action by suspending those accused. We are going to let the legal process play itself out and then make prudent decisions based on the information we have at the conclusion of the criminal matter." Saying positive things about an accused rapist, even if one of your players, is ballsy unless you're absolutely sure of exoneration.

Reactions: 2 people

He called AJ a "great ambassador". Thig would be an idiot to call him that if these allegations appeared to have traction.

Jeez what is with you?

That's not coach speak. He flat out said they're expecting him back. You don't go out on a limb like that unless you're confident you're right.

Reactions: 4 people

Could have said he loved him but had to let the process play out. Doubt he would have gone that far if there was any chance he gets charged in the next couple of days.

SIAP

From after practice today...

Matt Slovin‏@MattSlovin 25 minutes ago
Linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen calls A.J. Johnson "a great kid, great ambassador" and says he can't wait to get him back.

"Can't wait to get him back" - that's what she said?

Reactions: 13 people

Neither Johnson nor Williams has even been charged to this point.

The longer this goes on without charges, the better the chances of their return.

Honestly, they cannot leave them hanging for much longer, they will look at the investigative report and then theyll decide if they have enough to charge them.

My money is on neither being charged.

I just hope they get it done in the next two days.

Jeez what is with you?

That's not coach speak. He flat out said they're expecting him back. You don't go out on a limb like that unless you're confident you're right.

The Tennessean reported earlier that the victim's attorney was seeking for it to go before a grand jury for charges. Again, doesn't matter what you believe in regards to Aj's guilt/innocence... but this isn't being resolved quickly.

I can appreciate vol fans wanting AJ to be cleared if innocent, but if you are expecting him back, especially for MO, then you are setting yourself up to be disapointed.

If it's possible that he is a horrible person? Nothing would do. Him being so strong in his endorsement hints at no doubt.

The Tennessean reported earlier that the victim's attorney was seeking for it to go before a grand jury for charges. Again, doesn't matter what you believe in regards to Aj's guilt/innocence... but this isn't being resolved quickly.

I can appreciate vol fans wanting AJ to be cleared if innocent, but if you are expecting him back, especially for MO, then you are setting yourself up to be disapointed.

Then we'll be disappointed...would that require a skin graft for your back?

Reactions: 1 person

This will not drag on. They will either have enough evidence or they won't.

They waited a very long time to serve the warrant on AJ's apartment too ...

The other "victim" has gone back to another state and is not pressing charges.

This is all looking like this will go away. The question is more, will it be in time for him to play this season - in my opinion.

From another national rape case involving football players:

“The victim in this case, although never wavering from her insistence that the defendants sexually assaulted her against her will, did not believe it would be in her best interest to have to undergo the type of questioning [and] cross-examination that would essentially amount to an attack on her character should the case go to trial,” Adams wrote in a final memo on the case. “She very much wanted to put this matter behind her, and focus on her life as a college student-athlete.”

At this point, the UT victim seems 100% committed to seeing this play out.

From another national rape case involving football players:

“The victim in this case, although never wavering from her insistence that the defendants sexually assaulted her against her will, did not believe it would be in her best interest to have to undergo the type of questioning [and] cross-examination that would essentially amount to an attack on her character should the case go to trial,” Adams wrote in a final memo on the case. “She very much wanted to put this matter behind her, and focus on her life as a college student-athlete.”

At this point, the UT victim seems 100% committed to seeing this play out.

YOU seem really invested in this...hope the outcome doesn't affect your chemical balance. :crazy:

Reactions: 5 people

I would have expected Thig to say nothing about AJ, but instead he chose to be quoted saying this.

Reactions: 2 people
IIRC, I read that the KPD /DA stated Monday they would know within 48 hours if charges would be filed. Thigpen may know something that has not been released publicly.

Reactions: 3 people
This will not drag on. They will either have enough evidence or they won't.

They waited a very long time to serve the warrant on AJ's apartment too ...

The other "victim" has gone back to another state and is not pressing charges.

This is all looking like this will go away. The question is more, will it be in time for him to play this season - in my opinion.

I've seen this said over and over again and it's honestly quite disturbing. What did you expect the other girl to do? She doesn't live here and is a student in another state. She's entering the end of the semester and probably wanted to put this behind her.

She alleged sexual assault, not rape. Sexual assault could be improper touching, etc. I'd imagine if she had been raped she may have made the choice to seek charges. She may have declined to seek charges but that doesn't mean she is refusing to cooperate in the case with the other victim.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back