Re- Watched the Mizzu game

Big Orange #1

In Huep we trust!!
Just re-watched the Missouri game, and now i have had time calm down and be rational about things here is my 2 cents:

UT injuries was huge, we had so many key players out due to injury or suspension, its hard to beat a good team as thin as we already were at spots

Dobbs is good, with potential to be great. He has flashes or greatness, but a few things he needs to work on, but he will, he is bright and with him as our QB we are in good shape. Another full off season in the weight room and film room will do him wonders. Aslo, I hope he gets with a QB coach in the offseason like he did last year.

AJ Johnson - oh AJ you are missed and will be missed. The situation you are in is your own fault but you were missed. We have to learn how to play without him i understand that but learning how to fill an All Americans spot in 5 days not to mention a true freshman, just impossible. J Johnson did good but he was out of position a lot and some of the 3rd plays I feel if AJ was in we may have stopped them. I think we will be fine next year but I will take a full offseason for us to fill AJ’s spot.

Offensive Line - where do I begin with these guys, I am not gonna beat up on them (its been done here enough) but wow these guys need teaching and bad. I dont know if its lack of talent or teaching but somethings gotta give. These are our guys next season too and there needs to be some big time development before next season. O line coach needs to earn his paycheck this offseason.

Specail Teams - Players of the game. Our ST has been great all year. Medley will be an All American before he leaves UT. Thank you to our staff for making ST a priority and helping us stay in games.

Jalen Hurd - BEAST there is no other words than that. Kid is so good and will break some records and help us get back before he leaves UT. I love watching him play.

Secondary - we need help - Sutton is the only consistant person we have. We need length and speed back there and right now we dont have it.

I have been very critical of Coach Jake and his play calling all year. As it be Im still not sold on him, re-watching this game he did a decent job. Guys listen to this, Mizz D Line is all future NFL talent. Like it or not we were extremely out matched and Coach Jake knew that. That is why so many screens, dumps, jet sweeps etc. He knew that if we tried to go far down field the O Line would not give Dobbs enough time for things to develop. He did good with what he had. Back off a little and watch the game again you will see.

WR Corp - North is missed so bad. Ive been critical of Croom in the past but I will apoligize to him cause he is playing like I knew he could. He has stepped up. But beside he and North our WR’s need to learn to go up and get the ball. Be physical. Malone needs to get in the weight room and learn to go after a ball. These guys have so much talent but are under achieving.

Defense - we have some young studs - another year coupled with the recruiting class and wow we will be in beast mode next year. Barnett is a BEAST. If K MAC or TUTTLE and come in and contribute we will be good. We are set on D for a few years only to get better each year. Just need to keep recruiting some studs to build depth.

Just a few tidbits I wanted to share after watching the game again. The future is bright and we are in good hands with Butch Jones. Go Big Orange and get the win at Vandy.

Going to a bowl game will be huge going into next year!!

Reactions: 47 people
Yeah I have heard a number of people say we had more talent--if you watched the game without orange tinted glasses, it's pretty clear that MO was the better team with better talent. That's changing quickly but not this year

Reactions: 4 people
Many vol fans don't want to admit it but mizzou was a better team. the score was accurate to the talent

I was one of the guys that got caught up in the emotions of the loss. Hindsight, we fought as hard as our talent would let us. Go Vols!:good!:

Reactions: 2 people
Good analysis, but can we add more into the special teams category? That fake field goal in the 2nd Q was about as well executed a fake as I've seen. Matt Darr's punts kept Mizzou backed up deep in their end for most of the 1st half. And Evan Berry was great again as a KR.

Reactions: 3 people
Just re-watched the Missouri game, and now i have had time calm down and be rational about things here is my 2 cents:

Jalen Hurd - BEAST there is no other words than that. Kid is so good and will break some records and help us get back before he leaves UT. I love watching him play.

Doesn't break enough tackles

Sum it all up: Our OL got curb stopped out on the field. My only coaching criticism, I felt Dobbs should have rolled out of that pocket of hell to avoid the speed rushes and blitzes. His throwing lanes would be a lot clearer.

Go Vols!!

Last edited:
Many vol fans don't want to admit it but mizzou was a better team. the score was accurate to the talent

I think the base wanted so badly to believe otherwise. We're overdue to lose the underdog role we believed what we and even some of the pundits were selling. We have talent in single, specific areas. They had far better talent in greater numbers across the board that exploited the exact areas we were weak. Dobbs has helped cover up the weak spots. But it was only time that someone with critical talent was able to dig up the weaknesses again. AJ did this on the D side. We've got to fill a broader amount of higher talent. More and better talent may allow for better options in the playbook. Next season will be the revealing season for both - talent and play calling.

Even though the score was relatively close, Missouri looked in total control the entire game. Take away the fake FG (which by the way was a great call and a really awesome play) and the Tennessee offense could only muster 14 points. Mizzou was like a python slowly constricting its prey Saturday night.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah I have heard a number of people say we had more talent--if you watched the game without orange tinted glasses, it's pretty clear that MO was the better team with better talent. That's changing quickly but not this year

Part of that equation too was the fact that they seemed to be getting a lot of injured players back while at the same time we were losing players.

UT injuries was huge, we had so many key players out due to injury or suspension, its hard to beat a good team as thin as we already were at spots

Dobbs is good, with potential to be great. He has flashes or greatness, but a few things he needs to work on, but he will, he is bright and with him as our QB we are in good shape. Another full off season in the weight room and film room will do him wonders. Aslo, I hope he gets with a QB coach in the offseason like he did last year.

AJ Johnson - oh AJ you are missed and will be missed. The situation you are in is your own fault but you were missed. We have to learn how to play without him i understand that but learning how to fill an All Americans spot in 5 days not to mention a true freshman, just impossible. J Johnson did good but he was out of position a lot and some of the 3rd plays I feel if AJ was in we may have stopped them. I think we will be fine next year but I will take a full offseason for us to fill AJ’s spot.

Offensive Line - where do I begin with these guys, I am not gonna beat up on them (its been done here enough) but wow these guys need teaching and bad. I dont know if its lack of talent or teaching but somethings gotta give. These are our guys next season too and there needs to be some big time development before next season. O line coach needs to earn his paycheck this offseason.

Specail Teams - Players of the game. Our ST has been great all year. Medley will be an All American before he leaves UT. Thank you to our staff for making ST a priority and helping us stay in games.

Secondary - we need help - Sutton is the only consistant person we have. We need length and speed back there and right now we dont have it.

I have been very critical of Coach Jake and his play calling all year. As it be Im still not sold on him, re-watching this game he did a decent job. Guys listen to this, Mizz D Line is all future NFL talent. Like it or not we were extremely out matched and Coach Jake knew that. That is why so many screens, dumps, jet sweeps etc. He knew that if we tried to go far down field the O Line would not give Dobbs enough time for things to develop. He did good with what he had. Back off a little and watch the game again you will see.

WR Corp - North is missed so bad. Ive been critical of Croom in the past but I will apoligize to him cause he is playing like I knew he could. He has stepped up. But beside he and North our WR’s need to learn to go up and get the ball. Be physical. Malone needs to get in the weight room and learn to go after a ball. These guys have so much talent but are under achieving.

Defense - we have some young studs - another year coupled with the recruiting class and wow we will be in beast mode next year. Barnett is a BEAST. If K MAC or TUTTLE and come in and contribute we will be good. We are set on D for a few years only to get better each year. Just need to keep recruiting some studs to build depth.

Just a few tidbits I wanted to share after watching the game again. The future is bright and we are in good hands with Butch Jones. Go Big Orange and get the win at Vandy.

Going to a bowl game will be huge going into next year!!

I have to disagree here since you failed to mention our best WR-PIG.

I have to disagree here since you failed to mention our best WR-PIG.

Pig is love/hate for me. But i think he is a game changer for us. Whenever he gets just a few feet of room to get speed, he's gone. He can hammer the defense. But his size hurts us sometimes.

Mizzou coaching staff made better decisions also. We should have challenged them down the field. Running and short dump passes plays right into their hands. It allows them to pin their ears back and bring lots of pressure.
Op and others like to name all the advantages Mizzou had over us. We had a few advantages as well. That's why Vegas had us a 5 point favorite!

Mizzou coaching staff made better decisions also. We should have challenged them down the field. Running and short dump passes plays right into their hands. It allows them to pin their ears back and bring lots of pressure.
Op and others like to name all the advantages Mizzou had over us. We had a few advantages as well. That's why Vegas had us a 5 point favorite!

Vegas follows the cash. Vols were rollin'. Vegas knew they were the money play - meaning folks all across the nation would drop bank on the Vols to whip a lack-luster Mo team. Then promptly lose said $ to the bookies when the better team covered the spread.

AV

Jalen Hurd doesnt break enough tackles? You must be joking? He's one of the few players we have that push through multiple players for extra yards and stays on his feet really well..:huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va863yGwMc8

There's just one example.

You're new around here, obviously, so I'll give you benefit of the doubt. Blue font = sarcasm, and I was referring to this thread from earlier today: http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...-has-surprised-disappointed.html#post10886226

Specifically point #2 on this "things that have disappointed me list."

So for the record, I wasn't joking per se, but I was definitely being sarcastic. Hurd is a beast.

Ah yes. Drop back and throw the deep ball. If our receivers could run 2 second 40 yard dashes, maybe. Dobbs had zero time.

Reactions: 4 people
Ah yes. Drop back and throw the deep ball. If our receivers could run 2 second 40 yard dashes, maybe. Dobbs had zero time.

But they only had six sacks man?!? I mean surely we could've got that number to 10 or 12? Shane Ray should mail our Oline a check for giving him his highlight reel for the NFL draft.

Not better only more experienced. Four freshman defensive starters in the SEC give me a break.

chattavol for coach of the year. You don't have a clue do you ?

Meh.

They are a complete team but that Vols team could have beaten them. I would have liked to have played them at full strength and without the distractions - but life isn't fair.

I really wanted this win because the Missouri fans I have interacted with, are complete *******s.

They have a division championship. Whoo hooo. Their fans act like they are coming off back to back national championships. Really would have liked to shut them up.

They're over on Tigerboard.com talking like they blew us out. Like 29-21 is just an utter beatdown.

Whatever. We get them on the road next year. UT will be a different team by then,

VN Store

Back