The Tennessee Tech Postgame Report

cncchris33

Talk about a tale of two halves, and I hope this isn't becoming a trend, but that is three straight games that Tennessee has trailed at the half by virtue of slow starts on both ends of the court, but specifically defensively.

The Good...
1. Only 9 total fouls!!! Will wonders never cease? Carmichael plays 27 minutes and only commits 3 PFs.

2. JRich just being JRich...19 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assts, 4 stls, and only 2 TOs.

3. For a team with no true PG, we actually take pretty good care of the basketball, which I didn't envision after the two exhibitions and VCU game. Averaging 8.25 TOs per game over the last four games.

4. 2nd game in a row where we have actually shot well from outside. I like that we are being more judicious in our attempts as well vs just settling for outside shots. We are attacking the basket more, and last night it led to 18 FT attempts.

5. Devon Baulkman impresses me every time he plays lately. He and Mostella provide a good scoring punch at the other wing position. They combined for 14 pts on 5-10 shooting (2-4 from 3), 5 rebs, 2 assts, 2stls, and only 2 TOs.

The Bad...
1. The game was won in the 2nd half obviously, but these slow starts are troubling. We need to come out and establish ourselves much earlier.

2. Hubbs, yet again, a non-factor. The silver lining I guess is 3 shot attempts in 6 minutes. He just has absolutely no confidence right now. Only playing 6 minutes against TTU won't help.

3. The game was kept close by our slow start and a 16-4 advantage in favor of TTU in 2nd chance points. We have to improve the defensive rebounding to have a chance of being anything better than a .500 team. The final numbers actually have us winning the boards 29-28, but TTU made their offensive boards count.

Overall...
A pretty blah game. We showed some improvement, especially in the 2nd half. Fought back to win a game we probably win by 15+ with a strong performance in both halves. Would like to see us beat teams like TTU decisively, but I look at Miami getting drubbed by almost 30 at home against Eastern Kentucky, and I'm merely thankful for a win.

Reactions: 6 people
I would agree with Chris for the most part, however with our obvious issues on the box, I thought we did pretty dang well to hang tough with a team that had two good big men. While one of their big guys was a factor, we took the other one out.
I just don't think you can ever discount our lack of size and youth/experience on the box.

I would agree with Chris for the most part, however with our obvious issues on the box, I thought we did pretty dang well to hang tough with a team that had two good big men. While one of their big guys was a factor, we took the other one out.
I just don't think you can ever discount our lack of size and youth/experience on the box.

I agree. Jackson is very good in the post. Double-double in 9 of 11 games this season I believe.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm lovn the way Baulk is playing! No fear whatsoever!!!Mostella and Carmichael, too! See some improvement with the youngsters! Keep up the good work!
As for the team....One thing...maybe two....finish simple lay ups and stop gazing up at the rim instead of rebounding! Follow shots!!! The ball should be a magnet, eyes always on it and run toward it when its headed toward the rim!
I know very little about bball but I do know that much!

Overall...
A pretty blah game. We showed some improvement, especially in the 2nd half. Fought back to win a game we probably win by 15+ with a strong performance in both halves. Would like to see us beat teams like TTU decisively, but I look at Miami getting drubbed by almost 30 at home against Eastern Kentucky, and I'm merely thankful for a win.

And Texas Southern just won at Michigan St. The same Texas Southern team that UT beat 70-58 a few weeks ago.

This game was prime for a letdown from UT. Just 2 days after traveling to NC State and it was a blah opponent. Not hard to figure out that they didn't play with a lot of energy. Luckily, they came to play in the 2nd half. Tenn Tech was up 25-10 at Bama before losing last week so they're not awful.

There is a lot of parity in college hoops. You have to bring it every night.

Hard to get enthused about TT just before the holidays. I like the style of play. This team has been more fun to watch the 1st 2 months than last years team.

Well it deff wasn't pretty but we got the win and that's all that matters! It was nice to see J rich step up when we needed him to the most. Also good to see chiles play a bit. I think he could really help us, as he could push Josh to the 2 and allow him to get more shots up. Or could move Josh to the 3 and punter to the 2 which may work really well. So hopefully chiles will continue to get healthy and get more PT! Next up mercer on Monday need another win! I'm not sure if they lost everyone from last years tourney team or not?
Anyone know??
Go Vols!!!

Just watched the post game presser. DT is definitely a straight shooter, and I love that about him. He's no different in what he says to the press than what he says to his team. Aside from some language I'm sure lol.

Well it deff wasn't pretty but we got the win and that's all that matters! It was nice to see J rich step up when we needed him to the most. Also good to see chiles play a bit. I think he could really help us, as he could push Josh to the 2 and allow him to get more shots up. Or could move Josh to the 3 and punter to the 2 which may work really well. So hopefully chiles will continue to get healthy and get more PT! Next up mercer on Monday need another win! I'm not sure if they lost everyone from last years tourney team or not?
Anyone know??
Go Vols!!!

Their 6-5 record would suggest yes

Hard to get enthused about TT just before the holidays. I like the style of play. This team has been more fun to watch the 1st 2 months than last years team.
Agreed on all points.

The games between exams and New Years are always a crapshoot. Everybody is out of their routine. Students are gone so every game feels like a road game. Etc etc.

Next up mercer on Monday need another win! I'm not sure if they lost everyone from last years tourney team or not?
Anyone know??
Go Vols!!!

You can relax about Mercer. They lost 7 seniors and 6 of their top 8 scorers. They're in full rebuild mode. I've been to 4 games this year. They're well coached as always, but they're a shadow of the team that beat Duke last March.

VN Store

Back