Questions for the board:

RedDirtRoadVol

What ever happened to the "Grind for Nine"? Did we give up hope that this is ever going to happen in the near future? What happened to all the "Grind for Nine" apparel from last year...it is still "in-style" as far as I am concerned.

Personally, I think there is a greater chance of the LV's not making the Final Four nine consecutive times before we win our 9th NC. What do ya'll think?

#GoLVs #GrindingFor9Since'09

Last edited:
I don't think were getting to the final four although anything can happen in a tourney. Regardless were not winning the National Championship looks like UConn is a huge favorite to win another one this year.

Personally, I think there is a greater chance of the LV's not making the Final Four nine consecutive times before we win our 9th NC. What do ya'll think?#GoLVs #GrindingFor9Since'09

Seeing how we're currently at 6 years and counting, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet....

Oh, yeah, we'll be in the elite eight at least. Final Four is not out of the question. Have a little faith in this team and Holly. This team (and Holly) is not as bad as you may think. :hi: :good!:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 4 people
Not sure, but I hope I never hear or see it again. Just like I never hope to see "trust the process". Everytime a player tweeted that crap after they lost a game I just wanted to ask them "what is this damn process you're talking about, and when is it going to finish processing?".

Reactions: 1 person
Oh, yeah, we'll be in the elite eight at least. Final Four is not out of the question. Have a little faith in this team and Holly. This team (and Holly) is not as bad as you may think. :hi: :good!:

GO VOLS!

There is no doubt that we have final 4 material, however, I believe to reach the final 4 Holly needs to come up with a defensive/offensive combination. I still think that the point is an issue. I just do not believe we can trust Massengale to handle that position, at all.

I think there's a new slogan every year to put on the front of the media guide. "Grind for nine" was pretty horrible, especially when it didn't work out.

I think this team has a chance to get to the FF. Let them get the offense in place and players up to speed on it and we'll see what happens. SEC play will be good prep, as usual.

Trust the process? I'm glad I missed that one.

We will not challenge Uconn until we get LOTS better offensively--which is a point that UT coaches have refused to recognized for, oh, at least 10 years. UConn plays defense about as well as we do--or if you want, give UT a slight defensive advantage--but they are much better offensively because of Geno's system (what them play) and because they have better offensive players. If we played UConn now, our defense would bother them some--but their defense would certainly bother our offense, and in the end they are more capable of scoring against our defense than we are against theirs, and so they'd probably win comfortably. It is the difference between being good on both ends of the floor as opposed to being good on one end of the floor. And it's not just about getting better players and hoping they can beat their defender and score; it's about getting players and putting them in a system that can break down a defense with crisp passing and get the ball to players in spots where they are comfortable shooting and scoring. We saw some improvement against Stanford, but still a long way to go on offense. Our defense gives us a chance against anybody--but you need scoring ultimately to win games.

Trust the process? I'm glad I missed that one.

We will not challenge Uconn until we get LOTS better offensively--which is a point that UT coaches have refused to recognized for, oh, at least 10 years. UConn plays defense about as well as we do--or if you want, give UT a slight defensive advantage--but they are much better offensively because of Geno's system (what them play) and because they have better offensive players. If we played UConn now, our defense would bother them some--but their defense would certainly bother our offense, and in the end they are more capable of scoring against our defense than we are against theirs, and so they'd probably win comfortably. It is the difference between being good on both ends of the floor as opposed to being good on one end of the floor. And it's not just about getting better players and hoping they can beat their defender and score; it's about getting players and putting them in a system that can break down a defense with crisp passing and get the ball to players in spots where they are comfortable shooting and scoring. We saw some improvement against Stanford, but still a long way to go on offense. Our defense gives us a chance against anybody--but you need scoring ultimately to win games.

So... how was Stanford able to win against this wonderful UConn team, scoring in the high 80's?

So... how was Stanford able to win against this wonderful UConn team, scoring in the high 80's?

I would not make a lot out of the UCONN game because for a few games Stanford has been in a shooting slump. One of the issues most team have, when depending upon freshmen and sophomores,and changing its offensive schemes, is consistency in all phases of the game. One game they can look like world beaters and the next game as though they know nothing about the game. We did play lights out defense against a young developing program, however, I would not say that it makes us the resident BA's, nor does it mean we can't beat UCONN.

On any given night any team is beatable. We all thought Griner's senior year nobody could stop them, turns out if you shoot half court three pointers all game and make them, you have a shot. To count out someone is an immature comment. Mindset, focus, right game plan ... game on

On any given night any team is beatable. We all thought Griner's senior year nobody could stop them, turns out if you shoot half court three pointers all game and make them, you have a shot. To count out someone is an immature comment. Mindset, focus, right game plan ... game on

It also helps if for the second year in a row the refs allow mugging Griner to be a no call. We should be so lucky...Izzy, Bashara, Cierra, and a couple of other will be fouled out in the first half if they ever play like that. Remember Nikki's first years, and Glory's? They got whistled for deep breathing!

Reactions: 2 people
there is a lot of basketball yet to be played this year,it is way to early to be thinking about where they will finish in the Tourney

I just wished Russell was healthy and could help Izzy out,they would be a hugely different team with her playing this year

It also helps if for the second year in a row the refs allow mugging Griner to be a no call. We should be so lucky...Izzy, Bashara, Cierra, and a couple of other will be fouled out in the first half if they ever play like that. Remember Nikki's first years, and Glory's? They got whistled for deep breathing!

I've visited quite a few team boards (ND, Baylor, UConn...)over the years and there is one constant among them, fans complaining about foul calls against the their team. I assure you that if you visit 2 opposing teams boards during a game against each other you will find posters from each team complaining that the other team is getting most of the calls in their favor, guaranteed. It's seeing a team and the game through a fans eyes. I understand it but it still sounds like whining to me.
I once had a conversation with a long time fan from another team who insisted that his team was on the short end of foul calls. When I pointed out that there were 5 fouls called against his team and 11 called against Tennessee he said "that isn't conclusive proof" (which in itself is true) but it is a strong quantifiable indication that his team was not being unfairly treated by the refs.
Then I went into my "a team's fans always think the refs are against them" speech. He responded with "But in my case, I'm correct". To me that summed up a lot of fans feelings about officiating.

I've visited quite a few team boards (ND, Baylor, UConn...)over the years and there is one constant among them, fans complaining about foul calls against the their team. I assure you that if you visit 2 opposing teams boards during a game against each other you will find posters from each team complaining that the other team is getting most of the calls in their favor, guaranteed. It's seeing a team and the game through a fans eyes. I understand it but it still sounds like whining to me.
I once had a conversation with a long time fan from another team who insisted that his team was on the short end of foul calls. When I pointed out that there were 5 fouls called against his team and 11 called against Tennessee he said "that isn't conclusive proof" (which in itself is true) but it is a strong quantifiable indication that his team was not being unfairly treated by the refs.
Then I went into my "a team's fans always think the refs are against them" speech. He responded with "But in my case, I'm correct". To me that summed up a lot of fans feelings about officiating.

Understood...but perhaps you did not notice my first point was that BAYLOR got beat by rough play on Griner that was not called. I did not have a dog in that fight, so I don't think I was prejudiced. Also my other point was that play that rough is usually called and I did not think we could hope to get by with it. So, for the record, if it was ANY team I wouldn't count on getting by with that type of play.

Hopefully that slogan has "worn" out its welcome...
man-sharpening-an-axe-on-a-grinding-stone-thumb16403850.jpg

VN Store

Back