ESPN - Barnett among best underclassmen

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Laremy Tunsil tops list of top 25 underclassmen - College Football - ESPN

11. Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee Volunteers
Class: True freshman

The fact Barnett didn't crack the top 10 is a testament to the strength of this year's list more than anything else. Listed at 6-3 and 267 pounds, he's tough to keep out of the backfield thanks to his explosive get-off speed. His motor and range are almost as impressive as his ability to play behind the line of scrimmage. One reason he didn't grade out as high Bosa is that he doesn't get off blocks and play the run quite as well at this point.

Ranks as the 4th best freshman behind Deshaun Watson, Nick Chubb, and Cam Robinson

Reactions: 9 people
He's a very special player. It was unbelievable to see the things he did as a freshman. Very excited to see what happens next year.

Reactions: 2 people
There simply aren't 10 underclassmen in the country who made a bigger impact than Barnett.

Look at the individual TFL leaders and tell me if that stat alone isn't deserving of a top 10 ranking(he is ranked #3 behind Scooby Wright and the Poly LB from WA). The only other players in the SEC close to him in that category are Missouri's Shane Ray (#5) & Marcus Golden (#20). In the sacks category there are only two freshman ahead of him - Myles Garrett and a DB from Arkansas st. I'd say he made his case for top freshman DE contributor in the country,...

Also consider all of his sacks came against sec opponents. Whereas Myles Garrett tallied 8 of his sacks against the likes of Lousiana-Monroe, Rice, & Lamar. I'd say Barnett has more impressive stats than Garrett in all categories but Im also pretty biased. Kid is going to make big money in the NFL if he keeps producing at that level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Barnett is a Beast! It was a treat watching him play this year. He was our defensive MVP for sure. He'll be fun to watch the next couple of years.

GBO!

Last edited:
A really exciting thing for Barnett is he's got Cam Suttun and Curt Maggitt back to help again next year. Add Mosley who started showing flashes at the other corner and TKjr also getting PT and looking better and better in the back end. Throw in if one of the two between Tuttle and Mckenzie can step in and play and have an impact immediately with Bates returning healthy and Kirkland coming in and Johnson settling in after some playing time this year and another year to learn and grow into the MLB spot...

Point is, last year Cam Sutton was the surprise and bright spot and maybe one or two more guys, but this year Barrnett was clearly the bright spot but now both of these guys are All American caliber defensive players. I think Curt Maggit, Reevess-Maybin and maybe even Todd Kelly Jr. can step up and have the kind of year these guys had the last two years. So now Cam has help in run support and coverage with Todd Kelly back there, and he's got help on the other side in Mosely, and he doesn't have to hold coverage forever now because Barnett and Vereen and Maggitt and Reevess-Maybin all command attention and can get there when Barnett is blocked. Barnett could be a first rounder. But most exciting for us is we are finally getting back to that SEC defensive speed and playmakers we've been lacking.

Reactions: 3 people
I can't wait for the next few seasons. Stick almost anyone with him and they'll dominate the edges, and we'll have McKenzie and Tuttle to stuff the gut. Put Sutton with Moseley, T. Kelly in the backfield, maybe Gaulden (by then?) in there, JRM, Bates, anybody??? We going to be some BAMFs in 2016 and 2017, pretty damn decent next year, and that gets me so HYPED! Why do we have nega Vols?!?!

Agreed, we have to consider the entire unit. The overall D backfield has not been a complete unit in a few years.

However, were Mizzou's DB's great against us this past year? We don't know because we couldn't get the ball out due to the pass rush (yes, I know our o-line was a weak spot). Conversely, when you have a solid backfield you can get coverage sacks. (I know, water is wet)

ButchVFL is right, we are making progress overall on D and the future is bright and has me most excited.

Even when Scam Newton won the NC at Auburn, they had the D-line that played well and was necessary for their success.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
With a of season and in the weight room, 15 could be something special and by the end of 15 with K-MAC and KING TUT in the middle our D will be one of the best in the country.

I can't wait for the next few seasons. Stick almost anyone with him and they'll dominate the edges, and we'll have McKenzie and Tuttle to stuff the gut. Put Sutton with Moseley, T. Kelly in the backfield, maybe Gaulden (by then?) in there, JRM, Bates, anybody??? We going to be some BAMFs in 2016 and 2017, pretty damn decent next year, and that gets me so HYPED! Why do we have nega Vols?!?!

I cant wait for 16, we will win 8 or 9 next year, but 16 is when we rule the SEC not just the East, we will win that next year or have a very good chance.:clapping:

Barnett is a Beast! It was a treat watching him play this year. He was our defensive MVP for sure. He'll be fun to watch the next couple of years.

GBO!

Cam, JRM, and AJ (suspension notwithstanding) were pretty good too.

The defense over the next couple years is about to be vicious especially DLine. I hope we become a force on defense.

VN Store

Back