Here's the new ESPN Women's Basketball bracketology

This looks favorable for us to get to a final 4 as the bracket stands, but we all know this won't be the bracket for the tournament.

Obviously if we win SEC we are a #1 seed, if we loose, we stay #2.

The team to watch: Florida State

Reactions: 1 person
All the way to Washington seems a little strange especially if Oregon State is a two seed. However I like our matchups would be our best shot at getting to the final four.

We should get to the final 4 if we are a #1 seed or a #2 with Maryland. WILL we get to the final 4 is another question as we have had more than one season since 2008 that we should have got to the final 4 and didn't.

All the way to Washington seems a little strange especially if Oregon State is a two seed. However I like our matchups would be our best shot at getting to the final four.

I agree...I think the committee ultimately puts OR ST in Spokane if they stay a 2.

This was my prediction--a pairing with Maryland. Correct me if wrong, but isn't the last No. 1 seed (lowest rated 1 seed) automatically paired with the highest no. 2 seed? It seems likely that we'll be in a bracket with either Maryland or fla. state. Fla. state, I see, only lost by 6 to ND in South Bend. They also lost to UNC, but thumped just about everybody else. They did not play a difficult schedule but nevertheless must be pretty good. They and Maryland would both be stern tests. The woman who coaches Maryland is a pretty tough cookie--and her team plays like her, tough.

Reactions: 2 people
We should get to the final 4 if we are a #1 seed or a #2 with Maryland. WILL we get to the final 4 is another question as we have had more than one season since 2008 that we should have got to the final 4 and didn't.

I'd love to see the LadyVols in the Final Four,it's been a long time.

If we get bracketed with Maryland and we make it to the regional final it will be a psychological game against Maryland. That is why we lost last year. Brenda Frese dominated Holly Warlick psychologically and that is why they won. The team could sense she was the more dominate coach on the floor. This will be Holly's biggest challenge in the tournament will be to psychologically manage the aura of the opposing coach like Jeff Walz at Louisville and not be a shrinking flower. She has to project herself onto the floor. This is the next step for Holly.

If we get bracketed with Maryland and we make it to the regional final it will be a psychological game against Maryland. That is why we lost last year. Brenda Frese dominated Holly Warlick psychologically and that is why they won. The team could sense she was the more dominate coach on the floor. This will be Holly's biggest challenge in the tournament will be to psychologically manage the aura of the opposing coach like Jeff Walz at Louisville and not be a shrinking flower. She has to project herself onto the floor. This is the next step for Holly.

Interesting....how did you know who the players thought was the more "dominant" coach on the floor? I thought we lost because Thomas had an All-American type game! But that's just my opinion.

Also how would you suggest Holly project herself on the floor? Idk if anybody has noticed but Holly has a meannnnnnn stomp that gets the players attention when they know they've messed up! Is that the type of projection you're meaning?

Reactions: 3 people
For competition sake, they should put the first #2 with the last #1 but realistically they don't really do that instead looking to accommodate geography and get more crowds. Last year or sometime recently IIRC Nebraska got a very favorable rating boost to be in the Nebraska region. This year the regions are:

Greensboro, NC
Albany, NY
Spokane, WA
Oklahoma City, OK

So, who knows what accommodations will be made based on those sites and the teams that get in the tournament?

Regarding who we play to make it to the Final 4, above all, we're going to have to play well. If we don't, there's no guarantee we even get to the Elite 8. We simply have not played a good game in a big game like that in a long time. A team will come along and step up and break the streak and I hope it's this one.

Last edited:
Tennessee needs to focus on getting better every practice and prepare to eliminate Georgia/Missouri winner.

I certainly don't understand your Psychological Dominance line of reasoning here.

Reactions: 3 people

In fact, I've had the same thought myself about Warlick. I think Warlick and her staff have done a pretty good job this year--but our coach does not exactly have a kick-a$$ personality; in fact, she often comes across as being nervous and tentative, and teams do in some ways reflect their coaches. Our teams recently have not been very tough--look at that pathetic performance against louisville two years ago with the Final Four on the line. Talk about psychologically weak--we were in full panic/scared mode before the game was 10 minutes old, against a team that's never won anything. But it's also true that that UT team wasn't all that good.

This year's team is better than that team--and better than last year's team that got handled by Maryland. This year's team is better defensively than our last two teams--and tougher, too, I think. Maryland was stronger than we were last year--more physical--and they had an AA who we could not stop AT ALL. She's gone, I think, and I don't know anything about Maryland this year--but Frese IS one tough cookie, and they will play us tough if we get that far. So it would be a test, and we'd have to show our own mettle. I think we can. Shooting well also helps!

For competition sake, they should put the first #2 with the last #1 but realistically they don't really do that instead looking to accommodate geography and get more crowds. Last year or sometime recently IIRC Nebraska got a very favorable rating boost to be in the Nebraska region. This year the regions are:

Greensboro, NC
Albany, NY
Spokane, WA
Oklahoma City, OK

So, who knows what accommodations will be made based on those sites and the teams that get in the tournament?

Regarding who we play to make it to the Final 4, above all, we're going to have to play well. If we don't, there's no guarantee we even get to the Elite 8. We simply have not played a good game in a big game like that in a long time. A team will come along and step up and break the streak and I hope it's this one.

Check out Charlie Creme's latest explanation on Oregon State and why under some scenarios they might not end up in Spokane. Essentially there are 4 Pac-12 teams that could end up a 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed--OSU, AZ State, Cal, and Stanford (iffy). Since the committee went to geographic seeding they also instituted a rule that wouldn't allow the West Regional to end up with all Pac-12 teams. So the committee has to move them around the country and maintain the "integrity" of the bracket.

Given the distance UMD and UT are placing between themselves and overall seed 6-8 it makes too much sense to place them in the same region--the only available slot being Spokane. I think it also makes a lot of sense to send the Pac-12 champion Oregon State there as a 2 seed if possible due to fan interest. For us thats a risky proposition because if they bump the Lady Vols down to the 2 line and Oregon State gets that placement in Spokane as a 2 we likely end up as a #2 in Greensboro against Notre Dame. To prevent that non-optimal scenario I would suggest to root for two things:

1. UT wins SEC Tournament outright or
2. Root for Oregon State to lose as early as possible in the Pac-12 and for Baylor, Louisville, and FSU to go as far as possible in their tournaments pushing Oregon State to a 3 seed. That would allow for UMD, UT, and Oregon State to all end up in Spokane.

This is my issue with the women's basketball toruney - with the early rounds on the lowest seeds home court, the committee could place UT is the same bracket as the #1 overall seed UConn because of geography. On the men's side, the LVs would be considered the 1st or 2nd strongest #2 seed and would not meet UConn until the final 4 or championship game but if this bracket holds true, we would meet UConn in the elite eight. UConn can be beat but I would rather have to do it to reach the championship game or win it all.

The latest update has Oregon State in Spokane and Tennessee in Albany with UConn.

With this logic, Maryland would have to play an "away" game to get to the Final Four, and the top #2 seed would be paired with the top #1 seed, which is also not fair to Tennessee. They earned the right to play the lowest #4, if they are set as a #2 seed, due to their RPI/SOS/Top 10 & 50 wins.

Baylor should be moved to Greensboro with Notre Dame/South Carolina, and Oregon State should be in OKC with South Carolina/Notre Dame. Florida State should be in Albany with UConn. This would make all Regional Finals take place on a neutral court.

The NCAA knows that Tennessee travels well no matter what, so they shouldn't be worried about fans being in Spokane. There will be plenty.

The latest update has Oregon State in Spokane and Tennessee in Albany with UConn.

With this logic, Maryland would have to play an "away" game to get to the Final Four, and the top #2 seed would be paired with the top #1 seed, which is also not fair to Tennessee. They earned the right to play the lowest #4, if they are set as a #2 seed, due to their RPI/SOS/Top 10 & 50 wins.

Baylor should be moved to Greensboro with Notre Dame/South Carolina, and Oregon State should be in OKC with South Carolina/Notre Dame. Florida State should be in Albany with UConn. This would make all Regional Finals take place on a neutral court.

The NCAA knows that Tennessee travels well no matter what, so they shouldn't be worried about fans being in Spokane. There will be plenty.

But if we win the SEC tournament, all this would be null and void right? How do we not get a #1 seed if we win out?

But if we win the SEC tournament, all this would be null and void right? How do we not get a #1 seed if we win out?

Even if we get a #1 seed, it would be in Spokane, and if OSU is there, the same situation applies with having to win on basically an opponents home court to get to the Final Four. OSU should not be in Spokane. They haven't earned it.

Being a #1 would get us out of UConn's bracket, but the main issue is OSU in Spokane.

There are multiple changes in that bracket that seem to indicate geography is going to hold the day which is a big shift from what he had before--he must have been tipped off.

It would seem then the only reason we aren't going to Greensboro (geographically closest) is because South Carolina is there regardless of whether they are a higher or lower one seed than Notre Dame. If you assume that and they are going to hold to geography then the only way for us to avoid Albany is to get the final one seed and head to Spokane.

There are multiple changes in that bracket that seem to indicate geography is going to hold the day. It would seem the only reason we aren't going to Greensboro (geographically closest) is because South Carolina is there. If geography is going to hold then it would seem now that the only way for us to avoid Albany is to get the final one seed and head to Spokane.

I think ND will end up being in Greensboro instead of South Carolina, due to their better RPI & SOS. If that happens, I could see us in Greensboro. I would rather play ND again than UConn.

I think ND will end up being in Greensboro instead of South Carolina, due to their better RPI & SOS. If that happens, I could see us in Greensboro. I would rather play ND again than UConn.

Given that neither South Carolina nor Notre Dame played yesterday and he flipped them that seems to indicate to me South Carolina is headed to Greensboro regardless. In actuality that makes sense because the distance from ND to Greensboro or Oklahoma City isn't a huge difference to warrant sending them to one over the other.

Its all sort of a crap shoot anyway. I noticed he moved WVU out as well in favor of San Diego..when again neither had played. It shows how much of his logic is based on feel versus actual play.

VN Store

Back