All-SEC Honors For Harrison, Burdick

VN News

The 2014-15 league women's basketball awards were announced Tuesday, and UT's Isabelle Harrison and Cierra Burdick have been named to the All-SEC Team. ALL-SEC TEAM

More...

Congrats to Izzy and Burdick!

Victorian Vivians is leading the conference in scoring as a Freshman, and Wilson gets the nod for FOY?

Carter getting snubbed on the all defensive team but leads the league in steals?

Reactions: 5 people
This was the coaches vote, and plenty of coaches in the SEC cannot stand Tennessee, and this is one way to show it.

Staley shouldn't have been COY. It should have been Vic Shafer by himself.

Draya lead the league in steals, but wasn't even named to the All Defensive Team. That is pure horses&%t.

Cierra was an Academic All-American, the only SEC player named to the team, but Welch was the Scholar Athlete?

One could make an argument of Ariel being on the 2nd Team and Jaime being on the Freshman team, but the Draya is the BIGGEST snub of all.

Reactions: 9 people
This was the coaches vote, and plenty of coaches in the SEC cannot stand Tennessee, and this is one way to show it.

Staley shouldn't have been COY. It should have been Vic Shafer by himself.

Draya lead the league in steals, but wasn't even named to the All Defensive Team. That is pure horses&%t.

Cierra was an Academic All-American, the only SEC player named to the team, but Welch was the Scholar Athlete?

One could make an argument of Ariel being on the 2nd Team and Jaime being on the Freshman team, but the Draya is the BIGGEST snub of all.

Not putting her on the All Defensive Team is stupid. Who makes these decisions, besides a bunch of numbskulls?

Reactions: 5 people
That is crazy that Carter isn't on the defensive team. She probably should be Defensive Player of the Year. Massengale should be 2nd Team All-SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
The Carter snub pisses me off the most! I've never seen where someone leads the conference in a key DEFENSIVE category (steals) yet doesn't make the defensive team AT ALL.....that's beyond baffling!

Agree that Carter got shafted. I also don't think it's appropriate for someone to get any of these awards who was suspended half the season for breaking team rules.

Reactions: 4 people
I wonder if Ariel's chances were hurt despite her stats because she wasn't in the starting line-up for much of the season?

It's been a strange season for the SEC. So many up & down teams, lots of key injuries, as well as suspensions. Probably made it hard to pick this team, but leaving Andraya off the defensive team (at least) is a terrible oversight.

Yeah, leaving Carter off the defensive team was a big oversight. And, AMASS should have made the 2nd team. This all the better reason why they should play with that chip on their shoulders and win the SEC tournament games.

Carter led the league in steals, but I don't think she should've been on the team over Linnae Harper and Danielle Ballard. They were not far behind Andraya in steals, and are significantly better rebounders. Alwal and Coates are both excellent frontcourt rebounders, so I don't think there is much controversy with them. That leaves Jordan Jones, who is a repeat Defensive CPOY. I don't think her stats stand out, but apparently she was #1 on the list. But even if she was taken out, I'd say that Moncrief from LSU has a stronger case than Andraya: #3 in steals and is a much better rebounder.

Congrats to Cierra for making 1st team, although I agree she should have gotten Scholar Athlete. It reminds me of a year when Kelly Miller won SEC POY, but Tamika Catchings won NPOY. How can you be a national finalist, but lose in the conference to someone that wasn't also a national finalist?

For whoever suggested Jaime should have been on the freshman list: I don't think she did enough to warrant it. 4.8 ppg and 3 rpg should not be rewarded with Post-Season Awards. She's been playing better as of late and has been a much better player, but her overall performance for the season was nothing special.

I wonder if Ariel's chances were hurt despite her stats because she wasn't in the starting line-up for much of the season?

I don't think so. A'ja and Jen O'Neill also came off the bench. Ariel's omission is baffling: leading scorer on the Conference Co-Champion, and #2 in the league in 3 pointers. She absolutely should've made at least 2nd team, and maybe even 6th player of the year (her or A'ja Wilson should have gotten it over Jen O'Neill IMO).

Last edited:

Then why award Burdick when she wasn't even in the pre-season picture? If they had as much disdain for Tennessee as you suggest, then she would have at best been 2nd team.

Agree that Carter got shafted. I also don't think it's appropriate for someone to get any of these awards who was suspended half the season for breaking team rules.

These awards only apply to the conference season. Whether or not she played before that is irrelevant....

Congrats to Burdick and Harrison. I, too, was surprised that Carter was not on the Defensive team.

STEALS must be a Insignificant statistic in the minds of coaches.

Aside from Carter being left off the all defensive team, what about just not ANY Lady Vols on the all defensive team? I haven't studied the stats at length, but our defense has been the biggest reason we've done so well. We've won so many "ugly" games because we shut down the other team.

Furthermore, if you look at just the # of times a team was recognized, Tennessee as co-champions certainly seem to have been slighted at just 2 to South Carolina, the other co-champion got 10.

South Carolina - 10
Coach of the Year: Dawn Staley, South Carolina ---
Player of the Year: Tiffany Mitchell, South Carolina ---
Freshman of the Year: A'ja Wilson, South Carolina ---
Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Aleighsa Welch, South Carolina ---
A'ja Wilson, South Carolina --- First Team All-SEC
Tiffany Mitchell, South Carolina --- First Team All-SEC
Aleighsa Welch, South Carolina --- First Team All-SEC
Alaina Coates, South Carolina --- Second Team All-SEC
A'ja Wilson, South Carolina --- All-Freshman
Alaina Coates, South Carolina --- All-Defensive

Miss State - 6