Grand Canyon Scout

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
This scout will be a little different simply because on the UT side of things there's been no change since the last scout.

Most folks, like me, are unfamiliar with Grand Canyon Baseball for good reason, this will be their second season as a D1 team. In their first season in D1 they won 30 games, losing 23.

This is going to be a test. The head coach, Andy Stankiewicz, is a very good coach. Check out his bio here...GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY - 2015 Baseball Coaching Staff

To make matters worse his two assistants, Nathan Choate and Gregg Wallis have been assistants to Coach Serrano. Wallis probably sounds familiar because in addition to being at UC Irvine and Cal State Fullerton, he came to Tennessee as a Volunteer Assistant and eventually Director of Baseball Operations.

In other words, they know what we do from the inside out.

On the baseball front, this team can hit. The team BA is .317, but that doesn't tell the whole story. They have 7 guys that are hitting over .300, two of them over .400. They have a couple of others over .400 that I'm not counting because of their number of at bats...they can hit.

They average 7.6 runs per game. They've played good competition. Their RPI is a very respectable 57 and their SOS is at 85. If one were to base how good a team is solely on RPI, this is the best team we will have faced to date.

They put up 30 runs on (7-2) Bradley...yeah in one game. Who/What is Bradley? Their RPI is 8 and SOS is 45...still not impressed?

Two days later they shut out UNLV winning 7-0. I know, I know... UNLV isn't very good this year. Neither is Kansas and GCU split a two game series with them, combined they put up 17 runs in that series.

On the other side of things, they are giving up 4.8 runs per game, the team ERA 3.32, they only have two pitchers with an ERA 4+.

Their best pitcher is Jr. LHP Andrew Naderer (3-0), 2.50 ERA. He was first team all WAC last season, ...his 9-3 record led the squad, while he also sported a 3.26 ERA (36 ER in 99.1 IP) in 14 games (13 starts). I reckon we will see him on Friday. He was just voted WAC pitcher of the week...

Naderer went the distance in a 2-1 win over UW-Milwaukee on Friday, allowing just one run on three hits with nine strikeouts in a seven-inning complete game.

Saturday: Sr. RHP Coley Bruns, (1-0), 4.40 ERA
Sunday: Jr. RHP Cameron Brendel (2-1), 3.44 ERA

Nice, brief video on the pitching staff at GCU...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDGxt4f-ags

In the video they list Jorge Perez (Sr. RHP) as the closer, but he's not recorded any stats thus far...I can confirm he's making the trip.

This is a very veteran staff that's pitched a lot of innings.

They have yet to play in any cold weather, only away games were in Cali, maybe the weather might work to our advantage, :p

What once was just "another" pre-SEC series has turned into a very important series indeed. Every Eastern team in the SEC has at least 8 wins and we've only played 8 games. Should we sweep this series it would only put us at 7-4.

I've been listening to a lot of sports talk radio and it seems the natives are getting restless, can't imagine what it would turn into should we lose this series.

That's not the worst case scenario though...having any of these games canceled would be. We need every pitch, every at bat, every inning we can get because UF is just a week away.

GBO!!!

Reactions: 6 people
66, thanks for the info. Grand Canyon's early season resume looks better than UT's.

Thanks VOL66. Sounds like we got our work cut out for us. Are you ever right about cancelled games. We got to stabilize and get into a natural rhythm for the rest of the season. :clapping:

GO BASEVOLS!

Also a scarey stat, Tennessee has not played a full game since last Saturday nor have they been on a baseball field since Tuesday. It could be a long weekend, once the weather breaks I really look for them to come on strong.

Good report Vol66! Tennessee had better have their stuff together because they'll get a fight from Grand Canyon College.

Bad news I had no idea they were any good

Good news is if we can get a sweep(nothing else is acceptable) then those wins will help much more than I thought with rpi. Rpi is all about opponents winning % and this weekend will help that

If any of you Knoxville folks are still up and your cars are exposed to the elements...Go open your car doors, turn the defrost on, let it run for a bit...true story...

I live on a hill and water drains down the drive way. I had about 50 lbs. of salt left over from the last storm and I thought I'd make it easy for my wife to get out of the driveway.

Because it's so cold I thought, I'll throw the rest of that salt in my car, drive to the bottom and spread the salt. I put the salt in the back seat, got in the car, drove down the hill and when I got there...my door wouldn't open...the passenger side wouldn't open, the door behind me wouldn't open...after letting the car warm up a bit, the back door on the passenger side opened and I crawled over the seat and got out.

Luckily, I got the other back door open and spread the salt, got back in, drove back to the top, pulled the wife's car to the bottom and hopefully...

It doesn't feel like baseball season.

If any of you Knoxville folks are still up and your cars are exposed to the elements...Go open your car doors, turn the defrost on, let it run for a bit...true story...

I live on a hill and water drains down the drive way. I had about 50 lbs. of salt left over from the last storm and I thought I'd make it easy for my wife to get out of the driveway.

Because it's so cold I thought, I'll throw the rest of that salt in my car, drive to the bottom and spread the salt. I put the salt in the back seat, got in the car, drove down the hill and when I got there...my door wouldn't open...the passenger side wouldn't open, the door behind me wouldn't open...after letting the car warm up a bit, the back door on the passenger side opened and I crawled over the seat and got out.

Luckily, I got the other back door open and spread the salt, got back in, drove back to the top, pulled the wife's car to the bottom and hopefully...

It doesn't feel like baseball season.

Whew, don't miss those days! It's tough living in Alabama for sure especially during football season, but it's not quite that cold!

VN Store

Back