Scholarship Players on Current Roster (including incoming Freshmen)

trion23

So, I was just going through the updated roster, looking at how many scholarship players we have per class. Here's what I come up with:

Freshmen - 29 [9 EE + 15 in Fall = 24 true + 5 RS]

Sophomores - 21 [15 true + 6 RS]

Juniors - 17 [9 true + 7 RS + 1 in Fall]

Seniors - 14 [5 true + 9 RS/5th yr]

Total - 81

I only counted players I believe to be on scholarship, so I could be off by 1 or 2. (I also didn't count the two incoming Blueshirts.)

Several things stood out to me:

1) We only have 81 scholarship players, so not as close to the limit as I expected (unless my numbers are significantly off).

2)We're STILL a very young team for 2015, with 50 scholarship underclassmen vs 31 scholarship upperclassmen. Each class from Freshman to Senior gets smaller (29-21-17-14).

3)Looking through the names of players in each class, the talent pool also appears to be distributed similarly, which is likely a function of both our improved recent recruiting and collective attrition per class (i.e. lots of attrition for the Senior class vs none in the Freshmen class).

4)There are only TWO true scholarship Seniors on the team who aren't JuCos! So a total of TWO players who have been a combination of talented enough, healthy enough, and productive enough to stay on the team for four years (without a RS). That's unbelievable to me!

Let me know if I'm missing anything here; surely others have looked through the upcoming roster in a similar manner.

Go Vols!!! :peace2:

Reactions: 7 people
Roster is getting better! We need 20+ seniors and juniors every year to compete for championships.

Reactions: 3 people
We are all excited about next season, but it will be 2016 before we have the experienced talent to be dominate. More seasons in the weight room, more years with the same coaches and system, and more maturity with this talented roster will pay great dividends. The only thing to remember that some competitors are getting better too.

Reactions: 4 people
As long as CBJ is coach I don't think you will ever see 20+ seniors and probably not juniors. With the three and done system on degrees for non key performers, the pro's for the studs after 3 years combined with the level of recruits we should be forever young on our roster.

Not a knock on my part I like watching the cream rise to the top.

Reactions: 2 people
As long as CBJ is coach I don't think you will ever see 20+ seniors and probably not juniors. With the three and done system on degrees for non key performers, the pro's for the studs after 3 years combined with the level of recruits we should be forever young on our roster.

Not a knock on my part I like watching the cream rise to the top.

Don't see that trend continuing. If they have to constantly trim fat every year it means they need to rething how they go about evaluating players. Some will leave because they can't hack it or don't want to put in the effort. But if this gets to be a trend every year then there will be very little upper class and senior leadership.You can't win consistently in this league without the JR and SR leadership. Also means you're not putting many guys in the NFL and that will affect recruiting big time. There will always be attrition but no way this trend continues but if it by some chance does we will never be more than a middle of the conference team.Eventually we will have those high draft pick guys who are deciding between leaving their JR year or coming back for their SR year like we were used to having.

I'll be extremely happy when our roster consists of more upperclassman than underclassman.

Due to attrition and redshirt freshmen, you'll never see that. It's completely normal for up to 2/3 of a team's roster to be made up of sophomores and freshmen. Most teams are "young" though some are obviously much more experienced than others.

A typical FBS team has around:
* 14-16 seniors
* 16-18 juniors
* 18-22 sophomores
* 22-24 true freshmen
* 10-14 redshirt freshmen

Reactions: 5 people
Due to attrition and redshirt freshmen, you'll never see that. It's completely normal for up to 2/3 of a team's roster to be made up of sophomores and freshmen. Most teams are "young" though some are obviously much more experienced than others.

A typical FBS team has around:
* 14-16 seniors
* 16-18 juniors
* 18-22 sophomores
* 22-24 true freshmen
* 10-14 redshirt freshmen

If this gets ""liked" 1,000 times, will everyone finally concede we are no longer "young"? I'm as frustrated with folks unwilling to recognize this fact as I am with those who "Can't wait until McKenzie gets into the UT S&C program" like the Oakland Raiders' S&C coaches are white toast. :thud:

You can believe our Juniors and Seniors aren't talented enough vs the rest of the SEC, but I'm banning anyone from saying UT is "young" unless they go through the other SEC rosters and post the comparative data!

Rant complete.

Last edited:
Roster is getting better! We need 20+ seniors and juniors every year to compete for championships.

No we don't. That's a nearly impossible number to achieve.

You will almost always have more underclass men than upperclassmen.

Reactions: 1 person
No we don't. That's a nearly impossible number to achieve.

You will almost always have more underclass men than upperclassmen.

Is there a single team in the SEC that doesn't have more underclass men than upper classmen? If so, I bet they're not one of the traditionally stronger programs.

Is there a single team in the SEC that doesn't have more underclass men than upper classmen? If so, I bet they're not one of the traditionally stronger programs.

Idk about SEC, but maybe Kansas St because they recruit so many Juco players.

2015 Alabama Crimson Tide Football Roster: Crunching the Numbers - Roll 'Bama Roll

A quick look at this article for Bama's expected scholarship roster (only shows 82 as they were making a lot of speculation over who the last 3 might be)

F - 23
RSF - 10
Soph - 18
J - 19
S - 12

So the program with 7 straight years of top 3 recruiting classes has 31 upper classmen, only 38%.....How do they keep winning so many games being so "young"?

Reactions: 4 people
If this gets ""liked" 1,000 times, will everyone finally concede we are no longer "young"? I'm as frustrated with folks unwilling to recognize this fact as I am with those who "Can't wait until McKenzie gets into the UT S&C program" like the Oakland Raiders' S&C coaches are white toast. :thud:

You can believe our Juniors and Seniors aren't talented enough vs the rest of the SEC, but I'm banning anyone from saying UT is "young" unless they go through the other SEC rosters and post the comparative data!

Rant complete.

UT is young

Reactions: 5 people
Reality is the Senior and junior strong teams don't really exist anymore. Guys transfer or get kicked out in their early years or talented Sophmores and Freshman beat out these Juniors and even seniors. It's not about seniority anymore. Whoever is the best player will play.

2015 Alabama Crimson Tide Football Roster: Crunching the Numbers - Roll 'Bama Roll

A quick look at this article for Bama's expected scholarship roster (only shows 82 as they were making a lot of speculation over who the last 3 might be)

F - 23
RSF - 10
Soph - 18
J - 19
S - 12

So the program with 7 straight years of top 3 recruiting classes has 31 upper classmen, only 38%.....How do they keep winning so many games being so "young"?

I just took a look at the Alabama 2014 roster. If we consider the players with experience listed as "Squad" to likely be walk-ons, here is the breakdown:

Seniors - 16
Juniors - 23
Sophomores - 19
Freshmen - 20

Note: I can't tell which Freshmen are likely walk-ons, so that "true" number may be smaller.

My point is, while Underclassmen will typically outnumber Upperclassmen, the numbers aren't always skewed so much towards the younger players.

but I'm banning anyone from saying UT is "young" unless they go through the other SEC rosters and post the comparative data!

How do you propose to do this anyway?

lol at anyone who thinks they have power on the Internet :loco:

Rant complete.

WE ARE YOUNG! :blink:

I agree however for championships in the modern day it's soph and jrs. The really good players are gone after their jr years. That's why my predictions is a huge step forward this year and NC run in 2016!

JMHO

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

F - 23
RSF - 10
Soph - 18
J - 19
S - 12

I went back and read that article. Here are a few things that stood out to me:

- Yes, this upcoming (2015) roster is very young for an Alabama team.

- The three players they are speculating to fill out 85 scholarship spots are likely to be two Seniors and 1 Junior, and it looks very probable it will be three more Upperclassmen. This changes the overall numbers a bit.

Fr - 33 (10 RS)
Soph - 18 (8 RS)
Jr - 20
Sr - 14

- So even this very young Alabama team will still (likely) have 3 more Upperclassmen (34) than we'll have (31), and 6 more Upperclassmen than we had last year (28).

- In addition, this young Alabama team has several more Redshirt Freshmen (10) than the Vols (5), and a couple more Redshirt Sophomores (8) than us (6). So, they're still more experienced across the board.

- Also, consider our Junior and Senior classes were ranked 21st and 17th, respectively (Rivals), while Alabama's Junior and Senior classes were each ranked #1.

And here's a breakdown of Alabama's Upperclassmen for last year (2014), for their 2011 NC year, and for their undefeated 2009 NC year: (Note - Although I HATE Bama with a passion, I would LOVE to emulate their success on the field!)

2014 - 39 Scholarship Upperclassmen

SRs - 16
JRs - 23

2011 - 38 Scholarship Upperclassmen

SRs - 17
JRs - 21

2009 - 35 Scholarship Upperclassmen

SRs - 19
JRs - 16

Again, I think this illustrates that the 2015 Vols are STILL young (31 Upperclassmen), but closing the gap (28 Upperclassmen last year).

Go Vols!!! :rock:

Rant complete.

To me, when you are judging if a team is "young" or not, you have to look at the 2 deep, not the entire roster. A team could have lots of upperclassmen, but if they aren't good enough to be starters then the team on the field is young.

Reactions: 1 person
No they're not...the above bama's numbers demonstrates UT is no younger than them??????? :loco:

We will be relying on the young players in starting roles more often than Bama, so our roster age may be similar, but UT will definitely play "younger" than most teams

I went back and read that article. Here are a few things that stood out to me:

- Yes, this upcoming (2015) roster is very young for an Alabama team.

- The three players they are speculating to fill out 85 scholarship spots are likely to be two Seniors and 1 Junior, and it looks very probable it will be three more Upperclassmen. This changes the overall numbers a bit.

Fr - 33 (10 RS)
Soph - 18 (8 RS)
Jr - 20
Sr - 14

- So even this very young Alabama team will still (likely) have 3 more Upperclassmen (34) than we'll have (31), and 6 more Upperclassmen than we had last year (28).

- In addition, this young Alabama team has several more Redshirt Freshmen (10) than the Vols (5), and a couple more Redshirt Sophomores (8) than us (6). So, they're still more experienced across the board.

- Also, consider our Junior and Senior classes were ranked 21st and 17th, respectively (Rivals), while Alabama's Junior and Senior classes were each ranked #1.

And here's a breakdown of Alabama's Upperclassmen for last year (2014), for their 2011 NC year, and for their undefeated 2009 NC year: (Note - Although I HATE Bama with a passion, I would LOVE to emulate their success on the field!)

2014 - 39 Scholarship Upperclassmen

SRs - 16
JRs - 23

2011 - 38 Scholarship Upperclassmen

SRs - 17
JRs - 21

2009 - 35 Scholarship Upperclassmen

SRs - 19
JRs - 16

Again, I think this illustrates that the 2015 Vols are STILL young (31 Upperclassmen), but closing the gap (28 Upperclassmen last year).

Go Vols!!! :rock:

Its not about being young or old. Its about TALENT. If you have the most talent, you'll win, even if the talent is young.

Ohio State won a national title last year with sophomores and redshirt freshmen leading the way.

VN Store

Back